svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
So 2 days, 2 trips, 2 observations, one huge smile.

I did a little bit of arithmetic today, and went to an old file I kept on the model S P85D consumptions according to temperature. I frequently make a round trip of ~180 miles, and I was very concerned when EPA anounced the infamous 203 miles range. Details:

I always drive around 73-74 mph on spedometer. The road is fairly straight, but has mild ups/downs constantly.. I will use for now Wh/mile so it makes easy comparison with Tesla data.

Day 1: 116 miles, average 332 Wh/mile, start at 100%, end at 60%. This is normal mode (I could not figure out how to increase the speed on Range mode and could not drive 70....).
Day 2: 182 miles, average 315 Wh/mile, start at 98%, end at 35%. This is range mode at 73 mph (3/4 through the trip I had 295 Wh/mi, but then my wife took the wheel and did 80s and sprints for a while).

When I plot the Taycan on the same graph as P85D you can see consumption at this temperature is identical (with potential for being better if you stay only in range mode) (see graph below).

Porsche Taycan Taycan 4S: similar energy consumption with P85D, significantly better range. Long post 1590972866333

Estimated total battery size (something must be a little off with the first calculation): 96.2 kWh and 91.2 kWh
Estimated total range under similar conditions: 290 mi and 290 mi. If I don't let my wife drive, then 309 miles - but then I have to sleep in the garage:giggle:.

The best estimated range I had in the P85D was 241 miles. Considering the battery was only 75 kWh available in that model and consumption is the same, of course the Taycan goes farther.

Ride is much more quiet than any Tesla's I had or the Merc E coupe.

So overall, happy camper here

Porsche Taycan Taycan 4S: similar energy consumption with P85D, significantly better range. Long post IMG_2129.JPG
Porsche Taycan Taycan 4S: similar energy consumption with P85D, significantly better range. Long post IMG_2138.JPG
Porsche Taycan Taycan 4S: similar energy consumption with P85D, significantly better range. Long post IMG_2137.JPG
Porsche Taycan Taycan 4S: similar energy consumption with P85D, significantly better range. Long post IMG_2139.JPG
Porsche Taycan Taycan 4S: similar energy consumption with P85D, significantly better range. Long post IMG_2082.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
svp6

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
I cannot edit first post - second trip average was 315 Wh/mi.

Also, need to mention the car came with all-season tires (Continental), so less sticky than performance tires.

Fitzban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
@svp6 Thanks for the comparison. Seems like you managed to figure out how to change the max speed for the Range mode from 70 miles to 80 miles (at least looking at your pictures). I'm interested to learn how you did that.
Thanks.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
@svp6 Thanks for the comparison. Seems like you managed to figure out how to change the max speed for the Range mode from 70 miles to 80 miles (at least looking at your pictures). I'm interested to learn how you did that.
Thanks.
You can see the Drive Mode section in the Good to Know app for this setup. Max can be set as high as 87 mph.

Porsche Taycan Taycan 4S: similar energy consumption with P85D, significantly better range. Long post Screenshot_20200601-104026

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
If you ordered the Porsche Intelligent Range Manager option on your car then during the route planned on the nav system, the PIRM may suggest an alternate route using Range mode. The top speed is not driver configured. The max speed is set by the PIRM. During my 1000 mile trip last weekend at certain times the max speed was set by the PIRM at 70 mph. At other times PIRM set it at 90 mph. I wasn't aware of the driver override by mashing the go pedal (good information for next time).

HigherLevel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3P, Porsche Macan S, 2021 Taycan Turbo S (Jan 21)
Country flag
That's good news. I've seen a lot of info confirming this now. Basically when you really need the range on a road trip, it's there. When you don't need it, tooling around town, it's maybe a lot lower than the Tesla? That's the only way I can think that the EPA ratings make any sense.

OP
OP
svp6

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
Thanks.
It is kind of convoluted. You have to go into vehicle settings (middle icon left) then choose on the top banner menu "drive", then select range dot, and the tiny little dots at the right side of the screen will get you in it. Tap on the speed, will allow you to adjust. See series of shots below.

Porsche Taycan Taycan 4S: similar energy consumption with P85D, significantly better range. Long post InkedIMG_2163_LI
Porsche Taycan Taycan 4S: similar energy consumption with P85D, significantly better range. Long post InkedIMG_2164_LI

Porsche Taycan Taycan 4S: similar energy consumption with P85D, significantly better range. Long post Capture2.JPG

Porsche Taycan Taycan 4S: similar energy consumption with P85D, significantly better range. Long post InkedIMG_2167_LI
Porsche Taycan Taycan 4S: similar energy consumption with P85D, significantly better range. Long post IMG_2166.JPG

OP
OP
svp6

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
Another trip, quite reproducible results. Temperature 85-90F, dry, no significant wind. Cruise control set at 73 mph in Range mode.

Used 299 Wh/mile, 174.9 miles, start 100%, end 40%. Projected total range 307 miles.

The other observation: AC in Eco mode was plentiful at an average 88F.

Porsche Taycan Taycan 4S: similar energy consumption with P85D, significantly better range. Long post IMG_2188.JPG
Porsche Taycan Taycan 4S: similar energy consumption with P85D, significantly better range. Long post IMG_2198.JPG
Porsche Taycan Taycan 4S: similar energy consumption with P85D, significantly better range. Long post IMG_2197.JPG

Last edited: