Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, '19 e-Tron, '24 GMC 2500HD Duramax
Country flag
I recently received my copy of Car and Driver and was intrigued by the comparison test of three ICE super sedans from Audi (RS7 Sportback), BMW (M8 Competition Gran Coupe), and Mercedes (AMG GT63S).

I thought to compare the results with the recent C&D test of the Taycan 4S and the numbers were interesting. All three ICE cars had an acceleration advantage over the Taycan from a standing start although the 4S was quicker than the Audi in C&D's 5-60mph test and within a tenth or 2 to the Merc and BMW. In the top gear 30-50mph and 50-70mph acceleration tests the 4S was significantly quicker than all three.

The acceleration numbers were more or less as I expected but what surprised me were the braking and skid pad results shown below. (All vehicles equipped with ceramic brakes)

Braking from 70MPH Braking from 100MPH 300 ft. skidpad

Taycan 4S 147 ft 289 ft 1.06 g

Audi RS7 154 ft 304 ft 0.98 g

BMW M8 147 ft 291 ft 1.02 g

AMG GT63S 157 ft 299 ft 1.05 g

It should also be mentioned that the base price difference between the 4S and the others ranges from about $30K for the Audi to $100K for the Mercedes, although to be fair the standard equipment level is not as high in the Taycan.

It's a little like comparing red apples and green apples but I still think it's impressive that Porsche is able to build a much heavier EV that corners and brakes as well or better than some prestigious ICE equipped competitors. It almost makes the Taycan seem a bargain by comparison.
Sponsored

rich_r

First Name
RIch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover sport
Country flag
I recently received my copy of Car and Driver and was intrigued by the comparison test of three ICE super sedans from Audi (RS7 Sportback), BMW (M8 Competition Gran Coupe), and Mercedes (AMG GT63S).

I thought to compare the results with the recent C&D test of the Taycan 4S and the numbers were interesting. All three ICE cars had an acceleration advantage over the Taycan from a standing start although the 4S was quicker than the Audi in C&D's 5-60mph test and within a tenth or 2 to the Merc and BMW. In the top gear 30-50mph and 50-70mph acceleration tests the 4S was significantly quicker than all three.

The acceleration numbers were more or less as I expected but what surprised me were the braking and skid pad results shown below. (All vehicles equipped with ceramic brakes)

Braking from 70MPH Braking from 100MPH 300 ft. skidpad

Taycan 4S 147 ft 289 ft 1.06 g

Audi RS7 154 ft 304 ft 0.98 g

BMW M8 147 ft 291 ft 1.02 g

AMG GT63S 157 ft 299 ft 1.05 g

It should also be mentioned that the base price difference between the 4S and the others ranges from about $30K for the Audi to $100K for the Mercedes, although to be fair the standard equipment level is not as high in the Taycan.

It's a little like comparing red apples and green apples but I still think it's impressive that Porsche is able to build a much heavier EV that corners and brakes as well or better than some prestigious ICE equipped competitors. It almost makes the Taycan seem a bargain by comparison.
Yep. I did a similar comparison but with the taycan RWD vs 840, etc. similar results. For once it looks like Porsche may be the bargain the segment! And these are adtuallly the cars I think the taycan competes against rather than Tesla, etc. I know the taycan is the only EV that I’d currently consider

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I considered 2022 BMW M550i (523 hp) which is about the same size and body style as the Taycan and has about the same acceleration as the 4S.

The Taycan throttle response is certainly faster but when the M550i was on high revs it was pulling harder. Handling is about the same but the Taycan is more comfortable for daily driving. Taycan's suspension and steering feel is superior but the M550 is lighter.

I liked the BMW interior a bit more and the Nav and overall interfaces worked perfectly. You can say it looks a bit dated compared to Taycan's but it is more functional, it has Android Auto and it does not have daily bugs.

Taycan's exterior wins hands down.

Price-wise a fully loaded M550i is significantly cheaper than a moderately loaded 4s and BMW's lease deals are much better.
I chose the Taycan because it is more special but I still believe the M550i would have been great to own.
Sponsored

Last edited: