Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
Full 100% charge in the morning shows ...
...however I only showed just 6 mile range as I pulled back into the garage.
If you drove 130 miles and you went from 100% to 6 miles left, it seems like really poor range. That said, I don't know how much weight you were carrying, outside temperature, speed, heater usage, etc. all which affect the range.

The key thing is to look at actual versus predicted range. You show an actual which is what matters. Personally, even when the temp dropped over the last few days I am seeing range which I extrapolate to around 250 miles on a 100% charge. And this is with heat on but a single driver.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
I've posted this recently in the Cherry Metallic Red corner, but thought for fun I'd re-post some of my recent Winter experiences in the General forum.

We've been hit with an extreme (and frankly dangerous) Arctic storm here in Western Canada, and I have purposefully taken out the Taycan to see how it performs in this awful weather.

Also, my old MB 350 SUV won't start. LOL. So the Taycan automatically wins by default.

Here's the recent weather forecast:

IMG_2625.jpeg

And here's what the roads looked like last night (04 Jan 2022):

IMG_2614.jpeg

This was my morning drive today (05 Jan 2022):

Taycan computer says - 29C (that's -344 degrees in F or something):

IMG_2626.jpeg

My valiant steed:
IMG_2629.jpeg

IMG_2632.jpeg

The car even with stock All Season tires is amazing even in this extreme cold. The weight + low centre of gravity makes it immune to even these awful conditions.

But there is a price: I have calculated a ~40% decrease in range. Even when charged to 85%, I didn't get anywhere near 250km of range. Interesting.

IMG_2609.jpeg

At -30 C the entire electrical system is under duress. I can subjectively "feel" the car complaining. The regen system is making odd noises, the front fascia motorized vents are groaning, the internal battery system (high voltage) is making odd sounds. And range is max at ~ 250-260km (about 162 miles), even with 85% charge and conditioning. Hmm.

If I turn ON all the heating stuff (seats, warm air circ., heated steering wheel etc.) I can watch the range drop by the second. Literally.

So I've put the car into RANGE mode and ECO for the HVAC. It helps. But range is drastically reduced.

But Stuttgart said they drove this in Sweden under the same conditions, so I'm holding them to their word that this car is 100% capable under any extreme climactic conditions.

And man, it is STILL so much fun to drive... :)

And believe it or not, even at - 30 C, I still get thumbs ups and friendly honking from passers by! Great to see people interested in electric technology. Even if they're on the planet Hoth like I am! LOL
Still, even with a significantly reduced range it is very reassuring that one can operate a Taycan at -30C in a quasi-normal fashion. Thank you for sharing.

Elroy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, VW Golf GTI Mk8, Ford Raptor 6.2L
Country flag
I've posted this recently in the Cherry Metallic Red corner, but thought for fun I'd re-post some of my recent Winter experiences in the General forum.

We've been hit with an extreme (and frankly dangerous) Arctic storm here in Western Canada, and I have purposefully taken out the Taycan to see how it performs in this awful weather.

Also, my old MB 350 SUV won't start. LOL. So the Taycan automatically wins by default.

Here's the recent weather forecast:

IMG_2625.jpeg

And here's what the roads looked like last night (04 Jan 2022):

IMG_2614.jpeg

This was my morning drive today (05 Jan 2022):

Taycan computer says - 29C (that's -344 degrees in F or something):

IMG_2626.jpeg

My valiant steed:
IMG_2629.jpeg

IMG_2632.jpeg

The car even with stock All Season tires is amazing even in this extreme cold. The weight + low centre of gravity makes it immune to even these awful conditions.

But there is a price: I have calculated a ~40% decrease in range. Even when charged to 85%, I didn't get anywhere near 250km of range. Interesting.

IMG_2609.jpeg

At -30 C the entire electrical system is under duress. I can subjectively "feel" the car complaining. The regen system is making odd noises, the front fascia motorized vents are groaning, the internal battery system (high voltage) is making odd sounds. And range is max at ~ 250-260km (about 162 miles), even with 85% charge and conditioning. Hmm.

If I turn ON all the heating stuff (seats, warm air circ., heated steering wheel etc.) I can watch the range drop by the second. Literally.

So I've put the car into RANGE mode and ECO for the HVAC. It helps. But range is drastically reduced.

But Stuttgart said they drove this in Sweden under the same conditions, so I'm holding them to their word that this car is 100% capable under any extreme climactic conditions.

And man, it is STILL so much fun to drive... :)

And believe it or not, even at - 30 C, I still get thumbs ups and friendly honking from passers by! Great to see people interested in electric technology. Even if they're on the planet Hoth like I am! LOL
Thanks for the report. Have a Cherry Metallic GTS on order for May delivery. Nice to know that is will be so functional in the cold. Having lived in both Gunnison, Colorado and Jackson Hole, Wyoming in the winter I can report that both my BMW 2002tii and Ford F150 Raptor made all sorts of strange creaks and groans when the temps were in the -10 to -20 range. So not alarming that your Taycan protests a bit as well.

OP
OP
FrozenRobert

FrozenRobert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan S Cherry Red
Country flag
For those who are interested in the ongoing Winter 2022 vs Taycan 4S, here's a brief update.

Notes:

1. Even with the stock all-season tires, the vehicle performs admirably. But next Autumn, I'll be hunting for proper snow tires + rims.

2. Loss of range ~ 40% and the vehicle DOES NOT like these extreme temps. Strange groans, creaks, and about 9 errors on the screen on my Friday 530pm drive home. No cameras, charge port malfunction, no lane-keep assist, on and on ... not alarming, because I knew it was just ice & snow gumming up the sensors.

3. Had a blast doing powered-donuts in a deserted parking lot. Felt 18 all over again. ;)

4. HVAC is impressive. As always. So nice to enter a heated cabin in winter.

Here's the nonsense I've been putting up with:

Temperature of the exterior of my home:

Porsche Taycan Taycan 4S vs Arctic Blast 2022: Stuttgart Strikes Back! IMG_8317

Taycan 4S temp inside my garage (unheated).

Porsche Taycan Taycan 4S vs Arctic Blast 2022: Stuttgart Strikes Back! IMG_2648

Lots of this kinda thing everywhere...

Porsche Taycan Taycan 4S vs Arctic Blast 2022: Stuttgart Strikes Back! IMG_2657

Charging at a FLO station, no drama.

Porsche Taycan Taycan 4S vs Arctic Blast 2022: Stuttgart Strikes Back! IMG_2656

Porsche Taycan Taycan 4S vs Arctic Blast 2022: Stuttgart Strikes Back! IMG_2653

Abysmal range compared to summer. But still a good learning experience.

And finally: a balmy +1 C (+34 F) on Monday! I'll put my Hawaiian shirt on... :)

Porsche Taycan Taycan 4S vs Arctic Blast 2022: Stuttgart Strikes Back! IMG_2677

Yes, that is an actual pile of snow next to my Taycan. That's how we roll here in Canada.

Porsche Taycan Taycan 4S vs Arctic Blast 2022: Stuttgart Strikes Back! 2022 01 Taycan 02

Awful awful awful...

Porsche Taycan Taycan 4S vs Arctic Blast 2022: Stuttgart Strikes Back! 2022 01 Taycan 03

Just gorgeous in the snow ... :)

Porsche Taycan Taycan 4S vs Arctic Blast 2022: Stuttgart Strikes Back! FUJI1525

View up the hill from my house. Keep warm everyone!

Last edited:

Dave777

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1982 911SC, 997C4S, Cayenne, 2022 CT4
Country flag
Very impressive cold weather update, FrozenRobert
Ah, Balmy Edmonton ?. I remember those winters
We seem to be getting more wintery here on the “wet coast” too.
I can attest to your experience with the all-season tires. I found the car very surefooted and easily handled the conditions…not down to your temps but -10C at times. Your ranges were similar to what I was seeing.

Porsche Taycan Taycan 4S vs Arctic Blast 2022: Stuttgart Strikes Back! 00F53578-53C4-403C-84CC-E36B89A7EB72

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Man I don't know how you get all your Cherry pics to come out nicely. Mine always look dark maroon.

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I see a 30% drop in range in temps here that are 10-15 degrees farenheit. Car does always "start" after leaving it out all day. One thing I noticed, the car won't allow you all the power when the battery is very cold. Only get about 70% power. On the power meter you can see that the bar to the right that the power is being cut. And I have seen the battery in the 20's range in this weather. If I pre-heat the car, which works really well, the battery will take another HUGE hit.

Although I am repeating myself, I have seen as low as 136 miles of range on an 85% charge this winter.

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
About 130 miles.
Is that really all this car is good for in the winter?
That's my experience. At 85% charge, temps below 20 degrees fahrenheit, I've seen 136 miles of range. And I have seen a bunch at 145-150 in the winter, it's not a "one off" experience.

OP
OP
FrozenRobert

FrozenRobert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan S Cherry Red
Country flag
That's my experience. At 85% charge, temps below 20 degrees fahrenheit, I've seen 136 miles of range. And I have seen a bunch at 145-150 in the winter, it's not a "one off" experience.
I had the same thing happen. Battery temp was low, my dash showed maybe 32F or 0C ... wouldn't accept current despite SOC being quite low.

I assume it's due to the internal battery monitoring -- the computer knows the battery needs to pre-heat to a reasonable temp or it waits until the system warms it up.

Been a helluva experience, the stories I could tell about the bad drivers I saw in the past 2 weeks!!! But at least we're back to reasonable Winter again, only around 32F or 0C for a while.

OP
OP
FrozenRobert

FrozenRobert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan S Cherry Red
Country flag
@FrozenRobert, I bet you could capture the Aurora one of those nights in Edmonton.

We actually had an immense show of them in late 2021, but it was at 03:30 a.m. and most everyone around here missed it!

The university here brought out an app you can get (free), it's a borealis forecaster, so the science people will ping you at 2 a.m. if you are REALLY motivated to see them.

I've been fortunate to see them a few times here since I live at quite a high latitude here in Canada, and they're spellbinding.

OP
OP
FrozenRobert

FrozenRobert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan S Cherry Red
Country flag
Late Jan. 2022 Update:

The "Snowpocalypse" has ended for now, and temps are back around 0 deg C (32 F), and despite the atrocious roads, the Taycan just blows me away.

Porsche Taycan Taycan 4S vs Arctic Blast 2022: Stuttgart Strikes Back! FUJI3877

Range is back to a much better level, and despite the low ground clearance (believe me, I get worried navigating foot-deep ice ruts around here) the Taycan just chews up the road and pays no notice to Winter.

Except the constant electronic nanny sensors.

Beep! Beep! Yes I know the camera is dirty. Yes I know the LKA sensors are covered. Beep! OK I'll wipe that snowflake from the front fascia! Give me a minute!
Sponsored