TycanNewHampshire

First Name
TG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tycan 4S
Country flag
Interesting that the e-tron has rear steering and this 4s tested does not, yet the response is better from the hosts view in the Porsche.
He also makes the point that the chassis is actually deminimis in the overall construction....I hope this is true.
After purchasing my 4s, I actually had a little bit of buyers remorse as I actually like the looks of the e-Tron GS RS a lot! However, the porsche Taycan is growing on me, FAST!
I have had passers by say "look at the ferrari" and "is that a lamborghini?", just due to the styling and it honestly has that cab-forward look/feel that seems like it could be a mid-engine supercar. You move away from the 911 bubble and it becomes a car of its own. The Audi on the other hand, still looks like....an Audi.
I will say, the specs on the Audi and perceived 'value', does go in their favor if you are window/internet shopping. You basically get the RS, all bells and whistles for a more basic 4s. So, stats would be in Audi's favor.
However, this video reinforces my decision to go Porsche. There is a difference between stats, options and overall experience that you get in each ecosystem.
I can only speak for myself, but I have a feeling that Audi owners will answer with "its basically a Porsche, for less money, its the same thing". Where Porsche drivers will say "they are like compairing apples to oranges, there is no comparison, despite the 0-60 time chart".
I feel the Audi will be like all the other chipped-V8 audi's on the road. Yes, they will be fast, but fit-and-finish will be lacking, they will have a hollow/echo-y feel inside the cabin and will be more like comparing the Audi to VW, then comparing it to Porsche. Sure, it will go fast, but there is so much more to the Porsche than just 0-60.
The only complaint I will have, but understand this is Porsche's model, is I honestly think they should rethink the standard options at this price point. Porsche's engines were the backbone of what you paid for in a 911. This may not be that differentiating any longer with the e-powertrain, I think this should be considered and more premium options should be standard to set the price-point apart and provide more value. For example, leather, dash-console-pillar leather (or option for leather free), and folding mirrors. These I think should be 'standard' in a $130k USD car. At this point, it is almost like putting in a hand-crank as standard for window operation...get with the times. The last point would be the roof. Perhaps the pano-roof is standard, and they could offer a multi-moon roof, similar to the Panamera, for drivers that want to shut the shade or actually get some air in the cabin. Speaking of....I have never seen windows move up and down so slowly in my life! can we get a OTA or Porsche App purchase to 'turbo' the window operation?
All in all, you will never get an RS 4/6/whatever to feel like a 911/Panamera....it sounds like the host here agrees.....An Audi will drive like an Audi and the Porsche will handle in a class on its own.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Interesting that the e-tron has rear steering and this 4s tested does not, yet the response is better from the hosts view in the Porsche.
He also makes the point that the chassis is actually deminimis in the overall construction....I hope this is true.
After purchasing my 4s, I actually had a little bit of buyers remorse as I actually like the looks of the e-Tron GS RS a lot! However, the porsche Taycan is growing on me, FAST!
I have had passers by say "look at the ferrari" and "is that a lamborghini?", just due to the styling and it honestly has that cab-forward look/feel that seems like it could be a mid-engine supercar. You move away from the 911 bubble and it becomes a car of its own. The Audi on the other hand, still looks like....an Audi.
I will say, the specs on the Audi and perceived 'value', does go in their favor if you are window/internet shopping. You basically get the RS, all bells and whistles for a more basic 4s. So, stats would be in Audi's favor.
However, this video reinforces my decision to go Porsche. There is a difference between stats, options and overall experience that you get in each ecosystem.
I can only speak for myself, but I have a feeling that Audi owners will answer with "its basically a Porsche, for less money, its the same thing". Where Porsche drivers will say "they are like compairing apples to oranges, there is no comparison, despite the 0-60 time chart".
I feel the Audi will be like all the other chipped-V8 audi's on the road. Yes, they will be fast, but fit-and-finish will be lacking, they will have a hollow/echo-y feel inside the cabin and will be more like comparing the Audi to VW, then comparing it to Porsche. Sure, it will go fast, but there is so much more to the Porsche than just 0-60.
The only complaint I will have, but understand this is Porsche's model, is I honestly think they should rethink the standard options at this price point. Porsche's engines were the backbone of what you paid for in a 911. This may not be that differentiating any longer with the e-powertrain, I think this should be considered and more premium options should be standard to set the price-point apart and provide more value. For example, leather, dash-console-pillar leather (or option for leather free), and folding mirrors. These I think should be 'standard' in a $130k USD car. At this point, it is almost like putting in a hand-crank as standard for window operation...get with the times. The last point would be the roof. Perhaps the pano-roof is standard, and they could offer a multi-moon roof, similar to the Panamera, for drivers that want to shut the shade or actually get some air in the cabin. Speaking of....I have never seen windows move up and down so slowly in my life! can we get a OTA or Porsche App purchase to 'turbo' the window operation?
All in all, you will never get an RS 4/6/whatever to feel like a 911/Panamera....it sounds like the host here agrees.....An Audi will drive like an Audi and the Porsche will handle in a class on its own.
Rationally, the Audi e-Tron GT may be the better choice, but emotionally it would be the Porsche Taycan. However, if you choose cars rationally, you buy a Honda.

SCSEV

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Taycan 4S, Audi e-tron, Chrysler Town&Country
Country flag
I was very interested in the GT RS, when it was first announced. My lease expired next March and wanted to test drive both the Taycan and the GT RS to compare. Fate intervened (as well as my wife and a certain salesman) and I bought the Taycan 4S 2 months ago. So far I am not regretting the decision at all.

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Audi E-tron
Country flag
My Audi dealer said the E-trons are going to be in short supply. Sounds like they aren't planning on making a huge number of them. They might actually be more rare than the Taycan.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
My Audi dealer said the E-trons are going to be in short supply. Sounds like they aren't planning on making a huge number of them. They might actually be more rare than the Taycan.
I don't consider the taycans to be rare, 9k sold last quarter, there are at least three in my area

Mylam

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DB11V12.
Country flag
I was a little disappointed how the GT looked, I felt front was a little contrived and busy and overall didn’t look that dissimilar to their normal cars, especial the S7

I think the Taycan will age a lot better

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Nothing new in this review. Same story as Macan vs Q5 and Panamera 4S vs S6.
The lifeless and disconnected Audi steering and handling is known to anyone who has owned Audis ( I had 2 Audi S models in last decade).
Another issue with Audis is that their normal driving mode is too sluggish so you have to drive in Sport mode all the time.

Last edited:

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
Well I am/was a huge Audi fan (and was not a Porsche customer until the Taycan). I really was waiting for the Audi Etron GT since the announcement. As I read more about the Taycan I decided to get one as an “interim” car to be honest. But also as a chance to get a sense of “Porsche” for myself starting with their EV. I mean the reviews pretty much said they knocked it out of the park, it felt/drove like a Porsche, etc. So I got one while waiting.

Well obviously the “interim” word has gone away. I love my Taycan. I love everything from the drive, to the modern and clean interior aesthetics (and believe me I used to think Porsche’s were not really my thing, too showy and “buttony”). The more I read/see the ETron GT the more disappointed I am. The interior is just, dated. I don’t think the current Audi interiors “work” and to have this car look like yet another Audi is a mistake imho. By contrast look at the interior of the R8, simple, clean and timeless. Doesn’t look like other Audis.

If this review is accurate I am also very disappointed in the drive. I mean I guess its an upscale electric MBZ or what Tesla pretend the Model S is, but they kept talking about the GT RS as the “R8 replacement.”

BTW for those who says Audi’s don’t compare to Porsche, they never did. They didn’t want to. Audi had its own “balance” of sport, aesthetics and drive. I loved my RS5. I still think my R8 is an absolutely unique car, it isn’t trying to be anything else. But the Etron GT, well…I really feel past few years Audi has lost its way.

To end the story yes, I am keeping the Taycan. And in fact after waiting for 2 years it pushed me into a Taycan and from there into getting a 718 Spyder. And the 718 is starting to grow on me. So maybe I am becoming a Porsche person. I am sitting here dreaming of the electric 718 Spyder….

Last edited:

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag
I'm looking at the RS E-Tron or a Taycan Turbo

Taycan wins for due to better quality interior, better suspension, shaper steering, a bit faster, less interior noise, more exotic looking, for a 10% premium over the Audi.
The Taycan will hold it's value better too

iten

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
Country flag
I have owned 10 different Audis since 2003 and nothing else beside a model X and model S. So I was really looking forward to E-tron GT.

I ended up with a Taycan 4S because I needed a new car and couldn't wait.

I have not seen the GT in real life, but I wish I get to pick these features from the Audi:

1. Physical buttons
2. Physical buttons
3. Physical buttons
4. More masculine lines ( I like the front and the rear of the Taycan better...I also had someone mistaken the taycan as a Ferrari...but the side profile looks kind of small and weird)
5. A better Infotainment system? ( not sure if Audi will be any better, but Porsche removed connectivity in our market. They have finally added WIRED carplay after the latest update, but useless for Android user)
6. Although the seats have the same skeleton, I like Audi's execution better...especially when the Sports seat pattern does not match the rear if you order a 5 seater)
7. Pricing....I optioned a lot of the Turbo standard equipment in my 4S. The car ended up costing USD250K, which was my hard budget limit. A Turbo with all my other options is only 40K / 16% more. Then the local dealer started discounting their inventory by 12.5K while my car was in production. Then the RWD came out at 110K USD, which will kill the residual value of my car....This car will probably depreciate more than the Audi....

Mr. Mercedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
W223 S450, X3M40i
Country flag
I feel the Porsche is more special and will age far better. The Audi is very styled and on trend with current Audi design elements. It is trying VERY VERY hard. The Porsche is more classically beautiful.

Also, you would really have to prefer the Audi design or it's physical buttons in the interior, as the price differential is not significant enough. Porsche's always have better resale, which negates the price premium somewhat.
Sponsored