chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Forum newbie here, but I thought I would chime in as it looks like not many in the USA have been able to actually test drive both the e-Tron GT and the Taycan and do a close comparison. This is going to be a longer read, but the TL;DR is that the Taycan still wins out for me due to the driving dynamics outweighing the aesthetics and fit and finish with the e-Tron GT.

For context, I've test driven the RWD, 4S, and Turbo Taycan. I love the Taycan 4S, but the options were expensive and getting a 4S with the options I wanted was going to take me north of $140K, which was higher than my desired budget.

So I was really excited about the e-Tron GT as it seemed like you could get many of the same options as a well optioned 4S for about $30K-$40K less.

There were a few e-Tron GTs that made it to the Audi lots here in Northern California for a brief time, so I quickly found and test drove one. It was a base model GT with performance package. No RS models were available. The car I test drove was sold 3 days later and I haven't seen any more hit the lot since the US launch.

Right away, I could see the infotainment and interior finish was higher in the Audi. Real buttons that were more intuitive, stronger infotainment, and the fit and finish was higher than a Taycan unless you added about $15-$20K in interior upgrades. There was a cheapness to some of the plastic buttons for things like windows/mirror adjustments in the Taycan that bothered me, and this disappeared with the GT. It felt like a $100K+ luxury car was supposed to.

The exterior was also gorgeous. I only sent my wife pictures but she commented on how nice it looked. I still preferred the sportier look of the Taycan, but there was no denying the base config GT has better looks unless you option out the Taycan's exterior.

So everything seemed great so far, and I was excited to test drive it. When the dealer came out with the key, I eagerly pulled it out of the lot and I was on my way.

This is where things turned sour for me. The car felt muted, like something was holding it back. All the excitement in the corners, the acceleration and thrill that I got from the Taycan was missing. I felt the weight of the car and the sluggishness of the acceleration. I tried changing the drive mode settings and things only felt marginally better.

I extended the drive a bit more to see if I could feel some sort of connection with the car, and I just couldn't. It was simply lifeless compared to the Taycan.

A week later, I went back and drove a RWD Taycan with my wife so she could see the Porsche fit and finish. We both enjoyed the ride in that car a lot, and even with the lower grade motor, it was more fun than the GT.

I wish I could have tested out the e-Tron GT RS, but for me the decision is clear. Pay the extra to option out the Taycan 4S, and get a car with more of a soul.
Exactly what you described is also the difference of Macan vs Q5. The two brands intentionally have these differences to appeal to different customer segments. Porsche is always going to be more athletic (and more expensive) and Audi is always going to be an grand tourer.
Sponsored

FrozenRobert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan S Cherry Red
Country flag
Love the design and look of the Audi, I think they did a great job ... dare I say (as a Taycan 4S owner) that I sometimes miss actual physical knobs and buttons.

Most reviews have stated what was said earlier, that the Audi's suspension is tuned quite differently and it's more of a "touring" machine and a bit less athletic.

Can't say that's a bad thing. Both are amazing machines, with their own personalities.

kreshi

First Name
hansi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
@hkarthik You say the window buttons in the Taycan feel cheap? You lost me there.

Exterior, we can agree that people have different tastes. The front of the Audi looks to me like any other Audi. It’s nice and not bad at all, but far away from the futuristic and special front of the Taycan. The rear of the Audi is something I cannot understand. The supersized light bar and the weird proportions make me dislike it a lot. Not my cup of tea.

hkarthik

First Name
Karthik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S White
Country flag
@hkarthik You say the window buttons in the Taycan feel cheap? You lost me there.
Just these side controls is what I'm referring to. These feel like cheap, glossy plastic and felt flimsy, small and not as ergonomic. The shifter also felt like something that would break. I suspect the ergonomics are also worse for someone with large hands as well.

Totally understand that the average Porsche owner doesn't focus much on these things, but as a first time Porsche buyer I definitely noticed them a lot.

Porsche Taycan Taycan 4S vs Audi e-tron GT review 1628452306863

kreshi

First Name
hansi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
No idea if you ever sat in any other car before, but those buttons -to me as a car enthusiast- feel very high in quality. Go sit in a GLE or E Class and compare them. Your taste in things must be very special from what I read.

I have had passengers actually mention how those buttons feel very luxurious to them..

hkarthik

First Name
Karthik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S White
Country flag
No idea if you ever sat in any other car before, but those buttons -to me as a car enthusiast- feel very high in quality. Go sit in a GLE or E Class and compare them. Your taste in things must be very special from what I read.

I have had passengers actually mention how those buttons feel very luxurious to them..
I've sat in plenty of cars, including Bentley and S class Mercedes. I don't think you can compare these interiors to a Taycan. Nor should you, personal taste or otherwise. Each to his or her own.

vdr

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Maybe a Taycan...
Country flag
Forum newbie here, but I thought I would chime in as it looks like not many in the USA have been able to actually test drive both the e-Tron GT and the Taycan and do a close comparison. This is going to be a longer read, but the TL;DR is that the Taycan still wins out for me due to the driving dynamics outweighing the aesthetics and fit and finish with the e-Tron GT.

For context, I've test driven the RWD, 4S, and Turbo Taycan. I love the Taycan 4S, but the options were expensive and getting a 4S with the options I wanted was going to take me north of $140K, which was higher than my desired budget.

So I was really excited about the e-Tron GT as it seemed like you could get many of the same options as a well optioned 4S for about $30K-$40K less.

There were a few e-Tron GTs that made it to the Audi lots here in Northern California for a brief time, so I quickly found and test drove one. It was a base model GT with performance package. No RS models were available. The car I test drove was sold 3 days later and I haven't seen any more hit the lot since the US launch.

Right away, I could see the infotainment and interior finish was higher in the Audi. Real buttons that were more intuitive, stronger infotainment, and the fit and finish was higher than a Taycan unless you added about $15-$20K in interior upgrades. There was a cheapness to some of the plastic buttons for things like windows/mirror adjustments in the Taycan that bothered me, and this disappeared with the GT. It felt like a $100K+ luxury car was supposed to.

The exterior was also gorgeous. I only sent my wife pictures but she commented on how nice it looked. I still preferred the sportier look of the Taycan, but there was no denying the base config GT has better looks unless you option out the Taycan's exterior.

So everything seemed great so far, and I was excited to test drive it. When the dealer came out with the key, I eagerly pulled it out of the lot and I was on my way.

This is where things turned sour for me. The car felt muted, like something was holding it back. All the excitement in the corners, the acceleration and thrill that I got from the Taycan was missing. I felt the weight of the car and the sluggishness of the acceleration. I tried changing the drive mode settings and things only felt marginally better.

I extended the drive a bit more to see if I could feel some sort of connection with the car, and I just couldn't. It was simply lifeless compared to the Taycan.

A week later, I went back and drove a RWD Taycan with my wife so she could see the Porsche fit and finish. We both enjoyed the ride in that car a lot, and even with the lower grade motor, it was more fun than the GT.

I wish I could have tested out the e-Tron GT RS, but for me the decision is clear. Pay the extra to option out the Taycan 4S, and get a car with more of a soul.
Nice writeup thanks for sharing though I’m curious as to how you’ve spec’d out your 4S based on your view that it takes over $140k to get to get to where you feel the car is superior to the Audi?

hkarthik

First Name
Karthik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S White
Country flag
Nice writeup thanks for sharing though I’m curious as to how you’ve spec’d out your 4S based on your view that it takes over $140k to get to get to where you feel the car is superior to the Audi?
To be clear, a Taycan 4S can be spec'd to reach parity with the GT's standard features below $130K. You need the following:
  1. Premium package plus a few interior extras like heated seats, 2+1 rear seating, 4 zone climate, etc.
  2. 93 kWh battery
  3. LCA
I added the Performance package, nicer wheels, innodrive, and a few other bells and whistles to get my 4S spec'd up. This was comparable to adding the Performance Package + Prestige Trim eTron GT which was around $115K.

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag
Just these side controls is what I'm referring to. These feel like cheap, glossy plastic and felt flimsy, small and not as ergonomic. The shifter also felt like something that would break. I suspect the ergonomics are also worse for someone with large hands as well.

Totally understand that the average Porsche owner doesn't focus much on these things, but as a first time Porsche buyer I definitely noticed them a lot.

1628452306863.png
If you think the little switches are cheap in the Taycan, try touching these huge pieces in the E-Tron GT that I highlighted in yellow.
It's the cheapest plastic used in the lowest level VW, cosmetic CF and the instrument cluster overhang feel loose, with a lot of movement. The center console plastic piece is beyond cheap.

Piano black is wood, with a painted black veneer. These are straight plastic.

Taycan is put together much better, tighter fit on the dash.
Porsche Taycan Taycan 4S vs Audi e-tron GT review audi-e-tron-gt-interior-2560x1707

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
I've sat in plenty of cars, including Bentley and S class Mercedes. I don't think you can compare these interiors to a Taycan. Nor should you, personal taste or otherwise. Each to his or her own.
I have a 2015 Bentley FS. Door panel mounted window and function switches are not up to the quality of Taycan switches. A lot of the interior feels cheap and the entire lower B-pillar recently popped off. It has not been a pleasure to own and it's time in the stable is limited.

rich_r

First Name
RIch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover sport
Country flag
I could be wrong, but I think I remember reading that Porsche switched to using a matte finish for the window buttons for the 22 MY?

kreshi

First Name
hansi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
I have a 2015 Bentley FS. Door panel mounted window and function switches are not up to the quality of Taycan switches. A lot of the interior feels cheap and the entire lower B-pillar recently popped off. It has not been a pleasure to own and it's time in the stable is limited.
Seriously, taste differs Person to person yes, but I really doubt this persons credibility…

I say it again. The switches in the Taycan feel extremely well and are high quality. When I touch the switches in my cousins brand new GLE I feel like I’m moving the cheapest plastic there is.

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag
I could be wrong, but I think I remember reading that Porsche switched to using a matte finish for the window buttons for the 22 MY?
The switches will be matte in 22. but I think @hkarthik is pointing out that its just a cheap material, matte or glossy.

hkarthik

First Name
Karthik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S White
Country flag
Clearly touched a nerve with some of the folks here who really love the interior of the Taycan and likely won't find any fault with it.

I'd love to see if the matte material changes my impression, but I just felt that 5 years of messing with those tiny plastic switches is likely going to result in scratches, fading, or just breaking a switch accidentally by a passenger.

kruzmisl

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S. 2019 Cayenne E-Hy.
Country flag
Taycan wins the 0-120 test. Now that I’ve had my Taycan for 120 days, I have never parked it and neglected to turn around and admire it.
Sponsored