Kakatus10

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Poverty Spec Taycan 4S 21'
Country flag
These two trims appear to be very similar performance wise. I read the steering feel on the BMW isn't there, but it seems like an interesting alternative from a company that does pay respects to driving dynamics for ~50k less. What are you thoughts?
Sponsored

schad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, e-tron
Country flag
BMW and I have been moving in different directions for a while now. They've been making their cars more comfortable, which is fine, except they are making them numb at the same time. It's not just the steering, it's the handling and acceleration too. Don't get me wrong: they are still extremely capable cars. They just aren't fun to drive. You have to push them so hard to wake them up that it basically can't be done anywhere but a race track.

I also can't get past that front grille, and this is from someone who stuck with BMW through the Bangle Butt years.

jontybutts

First Name
Jonty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Eletre R, Taycan
Country flag
i4 is a Tesla, Polestar, Nissan alternative, can’t see anyone cross shopping a Taycan and i4 BMW.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I don’t compare/worry about vapor-ware products - when I can go test drive one let’s have a conversation.

it’s great to see more and more EV competition - this was never a one horse race (if it was going to be serious) - and we need all the kings horses and all the kings men - I can’t wait for a deep and wide set of choices from all the various manufacturers.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I am glad to see more EV alternatives. There are a few things I personally like in the i4:
- physical buttons for climate control
- standard ( not retractable) door handles
- 7 inches shorter than the taycan. This together with slightly smaller battery should make the car lighter.
- trunk door is a hatch with big opening making it more practical
- they maintained the iDrive circular trackpad control which means that you can control without a touch screen. That was a great feature in my previous BMWs.

I still don't like that nose..
How it handles and feels on the road is TBD after a test drive next year.

Pete C

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I will swop as soon as i can get one. It’s the first EV that looks like a real car and i would expect some switches and button and Bmw driving experience? Comming from a Bmw M5 with a V8 to a Taycan 4s makes you realise that EVs still has a long way to go… ?

OP
OP
Kakatus10

Kakatus10

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Poverty Spec Taycan 4S 21'
Country flag
- 7 inches shorter than the taycan. This together with slightly smaller battery should make the car lighter.
Actually they're the same weight, the Taycan 4S with larger battery is 4894lbs as is the i4 M50 at 4883 (11 lbs isn't exactly significant). I was actually under the impression you want a longer wheelbase for canyons, hence why RAS acts to 'lengthen' the wheelbase during high speed turns.

However, you're 100% right about the physical buttons on the interior. I'll admit, the grill is slowly becoming less offensive, especially with the blue/black contrast.

I'll definitely stroll in to test drive one for kicks though when they are on the lot a year from now.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Actually they're the same weight, the Taycan 4S with larger battery is 4894lbs as is the i4 M50 at 4883 (11 lbs isn't exactly significant). I was actually under the impression you want a longer wheelbase for canyons, hence why RAS acts to 'lengthen' the wheelbase during high speed turns.
According to the US specs the 4S with the big battery is 4947 lbs.
https://www.porsche.com/usa/models/taycan/taycan-models/taycan-4s/
I haven't found an official weight spec for the i5 M50. Where did you see that number?

Shorter wheelbase corners better and it has a smaller turning radius. Longer wheelbase rides more comfortably.

Last edited: