Taycan 4S vs. Turbo: Wham

AMERCY

First Name
Christof
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan '19 (Crayon), Taycan 4S+ '21 (Black)
Country flag
Got a Turbo (without S) today as a loaner while my S4 is getting the software update.
Just driving within city limits I could do only some non-scientific ad-hoc tests.
But hate to say it: S4 was (talking already in past tense) cool - but the Turbo is, to my big surprise, rather a class of it's own.
Having been on a budget, the Turbo was never in reach. But - in case you are not on a budget, the Turbo might be well worth the extra money. And not forget: The difference between Turba and Turbo S might be similar.
But my 4S will never be the same to me.
Sponsored

Tay Tay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Loving him is like driving a new Maserati down a dead-end street
Country flag
4s was all I needed but I've been thinking about this too. Is the Turbo uncomfortably fast, as some reviewers (E.g. Matt Farah) have stated? Like if you're not careful you'll give people whiplash, make them nauseous, etc?

Also I may be in the minority but I like the way the 4S looks more than the Turbo. Those painted bits mixed with plastic on the Turbo look weird to me.

kreshi

First Name
hansi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Well this is it, with anything you buy. You can always go better, faster, cooler. Having my Taycan for 4 days now I also had these thoughts of "ah the Turbo would be better and faster". Human nature. We get used to things so quickly and then want more. In the end the 4S is still very fast. People laugh when you accelerate. It looks incredible. Enjoy it.

torx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I haven't even got my car yet and am comparing the 4S vs 4S+, turbo hasn't even come into the equation yet.

I got the 4S. The car is going to be my only car and will use it daily to do a 5 mile commute 95% of the time and no doubt will be enough for me.

However you always want to go better and have the best thing out there, just like people do with smart phones (although I don't fall in to that trap and just get something that is about a year old).

OP
OP
AMERCY

AMERCY

First Name
Christof
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
4s was all I needed but I've been thinking about this too. Is the Turbo uncomfortably fast, as some reviewers (E.g. Matt Farah) have stated? Like if you're not careful you'll give people whiplash, make them nauseous, etc?

Also I may be in the minority but I like the way the 4S looks more than the Turbo. Those painted bits mixed with plastic on the Turbo look weird to me.
Well this is it, with anything you buy. You can always go better, faster, cooler. Having my Taycan for 4 days now I also had these thoughts of "ah the Turbo would be better and faster". Human nature. We get used to things so quickly and then want more. In the end the 4S is still very fast. People laugh when you accelerate. It looks incredible. Enjoy it.
So true. And I'm pretty aware of that, being tech fan and consumer since decades. Still, after soothing my self with "4S is a beast of a car and should be enough, the difference is surely not so big", the revelation was unexpectedly overwhelming.
Not whining at all.

OP
OP
AMERCY

AMERCY

First Name
Christof
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Would compare it somehow like having come from a Panamera 4S to a Taycan 4S.

andix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
991.1 S, Taycan Turbo (4/21), others
Country flag
Also tested Turbo, S and 4S–same results

my bottom line is, the Turbo is best price for value. Significantly faster & more push than the 4S, while no difference outside launch control compared to the Turbo S.

note: the overboost power is only available for 2.5s during launch control start!
Otherwise, both Turbo and TS have the same HP.

But I'd also add: for street legal driving it doesn't really matter so much.

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911C4S; Jag F-TypeR; Taycan4S; Turbo+992 (ordered)
Country flag

I share your view with the comment on looks by the way. I think the Turbo's look ugly with the body painted parts on the front/rear bumpers. The only way around that was to spec Black as a colour, but then you lose the design cue elements everywhere.

Mysta

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S - 2020
Country flag
I want to write an app that detects how often you accelerate above x performance. That way when you have a Turbo S you can be like ok, 1 fast acceleration, that was 40k, 2 is 20k per, etc. So when you sell it you know exactly how much you spent for that thrill. Be interesting to find out!(of course then there are other things like resale but we'll ignore those for this hypothetical)

Jancha

First Name
Janis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 Cabrio (ex Taycan 4s+)
Country flag
Got a Turbo (without S) today as a loaner while my S4 is getting the software update.
Just driving within city limits I could do only some non-scientific ad-hoc tests.
But hate to say it: S4 was (talking already in past tense) cool - but the Turbo is, to my big surprise, rather a class of it's own.
Having been on a budget, the Turbo was never in reach. But - in case you are not on a budget, the Turbo might be well worth the extra money. And not forget: The difference between Turba and Turbo S might be similar.
But my 4S will never be the same to me.
at 3.6 real world 0-100 with 4s, going faster in day to day life is simply unnecessary :)

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
note: the overboost power is only available for 2.5s during launch control start!
Otherwise, both Turbo and TS have the same HP.
Haha, poor excuse cuz that LC is just insane!
Besides, I don't want to get beaten at the traffic light by a Model S or any other supercar.
The Turbo S is just a friendly beast and I love it!
Also cuz it's more special.
I feel blessed.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
I have said it elsewhere but will repeat. As a Turbo S owner I have to say the 4S with some options is the sweet spot. Yes you won't rearrange your internal organs once every couple of weeks, but 98% of the time I don't find that I push the Turbo S past what the 4S would do.

So yes, if money is not an issue and you want the mostest (yes I mean that) then sure. But if you are buying a great sporty sedan to drive daily the Turbo or Turbo S is a bit of a waste.

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
I came from a series of Teslas, the last one was a Model S P100DL. I thought I’d buy a 4S; it is indeed the “sweet spot” value wise (as much as a Porsche purchase can be considered a value.) I was underwhelmed with the 4S during a test drive. On turns it was great, but coming out of the turn I just didn’t get the same acceleration thrill that I got with the Tesla. I then took out a Turbo on the same route, and I believe my quote was “Ah, there it is”. IT was the grin. I was surprised at the difference, but I’m sure the fact that I’ve been driving fast EVs for 8 years had a lot to do with it.

Mr. 2021 Taycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have driven all 3. The 4S with the Performance Package option is all any rational person needs. Then again, spending over $100,000 for a car is not rational, so why not spend $30,000 more for the Turbo.
Sponsored