Taycan 4S vs. Turbo: Wham

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
I have driven all 3. The 4S with the Performance Package option is all any rational person needs. Then again, spending over $100,000 for a car is not rational, so why not spend $30,000 more for the Turbo.
Rational people don't need a Porsche, c'mon.
Lol :) :) :)
Sponsored

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
Rational people don't need a Porsche, c'mon.
Lol :) :) :)
Yeah, put me in the non-rational camp on this one. I walk to work and would save a fortune going without a car - rent when needed. Where is the fun in that though! FYI - my Turbo S should arrive this week (I hope - received the email to setup the Connect app and subscribe to charging etc. )

rbt3

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2020 Tesla Model Y, 2020 MB GLE450
Country flag
I am in the camp that still believe it to be true, the Taycan 4S is the "sweet spot" for performance and range and everyday drivability in this car. I too have driven all 3 models and found the Turbo S as exciting a sports car for acceleration that should be driven on the street but rather unusable most of the time, and it is almost $60k more expensive than my car. The Turbo is great, but very similar in acceleration and feel to my 4S except in Launch Control mode in Sport+ setting, which I have rarely needed to use. It is also at least $30k more expensive. I bought the two fastest, "top of the line" Tesla Model S when they were available, mainly because cost difference was much smaller and overall cost much less. These cars are already so expensive, and 3.8 seconds 0-60mph is still really fast, faster than 80-90% of the cars on the road at any given time. The AWD, handling, longer range, excellent performance at a reasonably expensive but not crazy expensive price made the 4S an easy choice for me. My 4S is heavily optioned so it approached the Turbo pricing, but still at least $20k less similarly optioned. If money is of no significance, the Turbo S is the way to go, if you want 90% of the performance and like saving $50-60k, the 4S is a great car!

Scott Allen

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 911 Carrera S Cabriolet, 2017 Range Rover HSE, 1967 Camaro RS/SS 396
Country flag
My 4s sometimes makes me a little nauseous. I think that if I had gotten a Turbo, I would make myself sick all the time. I guess the proper answer is: Invest in sick bags and Taycan Turbo!
The solution to motion sickness is doing it more until you get used to it!

TomC

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2022 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I wanted to buy a 4S; all our test drives were in a 4S; I specced and ordered a 4S. The speed was absolutely insane. Due to the delay in the order, I then switched it to a Turbo as I could get it earlier and within this tax year.

Two days after receiving the Turbo, my Dad, who has always loved Porsche’s and is soon turning 70, wanted to take it for a ride. Naturally we then drove around to find a spot to launch control it. He drove, I recorded it. I now have a video of my Dad swearing in sheer disbelief and me giggling like a child, at the immense and strangely unexpected power. I knew something great was coming, but the joy exceeded the expectation. I will cherish that experience for my entire life. Was that worth an extra £30k?

Yes. Yes, it was.

K777

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
The solution to motion sickness is doing it more until you get used to it!
As a passenger I sometimes get motion sickness, but never have as a driver, even on tracks.

Mrs never got motion sickness, until my Taycan Turbo - now if we go for a country road drive she takes Sturgeron sea sickness tabs before hand - the alternative being - " get out here, get some fresh air, and i will pick you up later"

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
As a passenger I sometimes get motion sickness, but never have as a driver, even on tracks.

Mrs never got motion sickness, until my Taycan Turbo - now if we go for a country road drive she takes Sturgeron sea sickness tabs before hand - the alternative being - " get out here, get some fresh air, and i will pick you up later"
I am prone to motion sickness but like you never as a driver however while at the porsche experience in Atlanta I did get quite woozy from the skid pads and all the other different stations.

Last edited:

oalsaker

First Name
Øystein
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon Taycan 4s
Country flag
I think it's tied to my level of tiredness. It's not an issue on most days but if I am a little less rested than I prefer to be (many thanks, little miss four year old), I easily get dizziness and slight motion sickness.

K777

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I am prone to motion sickness but like you never as a driver however while at the porsche experience in Atlanta I did get quite woozy from the skid pads and all the other different stations.
I let the instructor demonstrate the drift bowl at the UK Porsche track, I had to get out and puke a bit further down the track. Somewhat embarrassing.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
I let the instructor demonstrate the drift bowl at the UK Porsche track, I had to get out and puke a bit further down the track. Somewhat embarrassing.
embarrassing yes, but according to my instructor not uncommon.

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Also tested Turbo, S and 4S–same results

my bottom line is, the Turbo is best price for value. Significantly faster & more push than the 4S, while no difference outside launch control compared to the Turbo S.

note: the overboost power is only available for 2.5s during launch control start!
Otherwise, both Turbo and TS have the same HP.

But I'd also add: for street legal driving it doesn't really matter so much.
The Turbo S is actually quicker than the Turbo in rolling acceleration as well, because of the larger pulse-controlled inverter on the front motor delivering 600 vs 300 amps. The maximum HP, defined as torque x rpm is capped as the same for both cars in non launch control driving. From an earlier post, here are Porsche's own acceleration numbers for both cars:

From the Taycan manual,

Overtaking acceleration

(80–120km/h) (seconds) Turbo S - 1.7, Turbo - 1.9

Practically speaking, you wouldn't be able to tell much difference unless you are side-by-side.
Sponsored