Taycan as a daily driver for a working hands-on guy?

Steve R

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ferrari 360 spider, Jaguar I-pace, VW Karmann Ghia
Country flag
Hey guys,

The wife keeps stealing my Jaguar I-pace and I'm thinking about snapping-up a 2021 Taycan Turbo S at a local dealership. Actually, if you care to take a look it's a 2021 Black with about 1k miles listed as pre-owned over at Santa Barbara Porsche, looks pretty sharp and I they they are asking $175k. I'd like to describe my driving lifestyle to see if the Taycan can make sense for me.......

So here's the deal. I split my time driving to a ranch/farm and a beach house where I'm doing construction. Both sites have EV charging already. The thing is (as things go) I'm often stopping at Home Depot, picking up supplies, throwing my mountain bike in the back and even bringing containers of vegetables, fruit and other 'stuff' home from the ranch/farm. We also have 3 medium sized dogs and we have a cover that goes over the seats but the car gets exposed to some dog hair. Understand, my cars do get dirty/dusty and I don't have the time to routinely wash them. The Jag is working just fine. Believe it or not, I can still toss a few 10-foot pieces of copper pipe or even few 2x4's in a pinch. At both the farm and beach property I have a truck & trailer so I do have alternatives to haul stuff. So yeah, I'm using the car in a manner that few people would use a luxury/sport car for.....BUT with a quick wash and some vacuuming, it instantly returns to a polished & plush condition!

Not that it matters but I do have a trophy car, a 2001 Ferrari 360 spider and I hardly drive it anymore. And yeah, I've actually grabbed a few gallons of paint or picked-up a bag of chicken feed when the need presented itself. I don't think the Taycan is as 'precious' and delicate as a Ferrari but the Taycan is absolutely not a pick-up truck either.

I don't care of the interior of the Tesla and I know you'll tell me to look at the Hummer EV (which is not available yet) but I've done the Hummer thing (still have my H2) and I'm sick of having a huge/WIDE vehicle where finding a wide parking space sucks! I don't want the Ford Lightning truck either, I want to be able to seat 4 and I don't like open beds where supplies can fly out or be readily taken (and I don't want a shell).

I just want a 2nd nice EV so I have something when my wife steals my I-pace and I think I can make the Taycan work as my daily. On the the days I need the Jag I can let my wife roll in the Taycan, she's a great driver and very safe. So you think I can make the Taycan work or am I wearing a snazzy upscale business suit to dine at Chili's? Sorry for the long post, hope to get some input, thanks!
Sponsored

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
If your primary mission is transportation for you and your wife, then you’ll be fine. If your goal is to move supplies and animals too, its not a great choice. The trunk opening is fairly small and manipulating larger items in/out of the rear of the car isn’t the easiest.

Redhot2474

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
Hey guys,

The wife keeps stealing my Jaguar I-pace and I'm thinking about snapping-up a 2021 Taycan Turbo S at a local dealership. Actually, if you care to take a look it's a 2021 Black with about 1k miles listed as pre-owned over at Santa Barbara Porsche, looks pretty sharp and I they they are asking $175k. I'd like to describe my driving lifestyle to see if the Taycan can make sense for me.......

So here's the deal. I split my time driving to a ranch/farm and a beach house where I'm doing construction. Both sites have EV charging already. The thing is (as things go) I'm often stopping at Home Depot, picking up supplies, throwing my mountain bike in the back and even bringing containers of vegetables, fruit and other 'stuff' home from the ranch/farm. We also have 3 medium sized dogs and we have a cover that goes over the seats but the car gets exposed to some dog hair. Understand, my cars do get dirty/dusty and I don't have the time to routinely wash them. The Jag is working just fine. Believe it or not, I can still toss a few 10-foot pieces of copper pipe or even few 2x4's in a pinch. At both the farm and beach property I have a truck & trailer so I do have alternatives to haul stuff. So yeah, I'm using the car in a manner that few people would use a luxury/sport car for.....BUT with a quick wash and some vacuuming, it instantly returns to a polished & plush condition!

Not that it matters but I do have a trophy car, a 2001 Ferrari 360 spider and I hardly drive it anymore. And yeah, I've actually grabbed a few gallons of paint or picked-up a bag of chicken feed when the need presented itself. I don't think the Taycan is as 'precious' and delicate as a Ferrari but the Taycan is absolutely not a pick-up truck either.

I don't care of the interior of the Tesla and I know you'll tell me to look at the Hummer EV (which is not available yet) but I've done the Hummer thing (still have my H2) and I'm sick of having a huge/WIDE vehicle where finding a wide parking space sucks! I don't want the Ford Lightning truck either, I want to be able to seat 4 and I don't like open beds where supplies can fly out or be readily taken (and I don't want a shell).

I just want a 2nd nice EV so I have something when my wife steals my I-pace and I think I can make the Taycan work as my daily. On the the days I need the Jag I can let my wife roll in the Taycan, she's a great driver and very safe. So you think I can make the Taycan work or am I wearing a snazzy upscale business suit to dine at Chili's? Sorry for the long post, hope to get some input, thanks!
I don’t see why u couldn’t make it work 🙋‍♂️

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
If i’d be in your position, i’d take EV pickup…Rivian or Ford.
With your needs, you are just going to demolish the best looking car.

tayCanadian

First Name
Amit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Cayenne Coupe E-Hybrid (RIP), 2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
For all that hauling and with dogs and being "dirty," I wouldn't do a Taycan. I would do the Taycan as my fun car and have a pickup truck for the rest...or, like someone else said, if EV is your aim, get a pickup like the Rivian.

Reactions: B61

Skier

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Hey guys,

Off topic but how do you like your I-pace?

whan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, Ferrari 458, Lexus GX460
Country flag
I think it sounds like a Rivian R1S might be the best car for your scenario TBH. Of course probably a decently long wait for one since they just came out, but fits all of your criteria, and isn’t that large

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
Every time I see this thread title I can't help but think about Eddie Murphy's Delirious. "That's nasty . . . "

I think a Cross Turismo would be better for your intended usage, and I think it would be fine. I'm not sure a normal Taycan would be a good fit.

OP
OP
Steve R

Steve R

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Maybe you have your heart set on this particular Turbo S, but from your description I think you would enjoy the increased utility of a Cross Turismo variant with 2+1 rear split for pass through loading and more options for where to put your dogs.
I'm kinda stuck on an EV....got addicted, no longer a fan of gasser's (plus I have enough of them already)

OP
OP
Steve R

Steve R

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think it sounds like a Rivian R1S might be the best car for your scenario TBH. Of course probably a decently long wait for one since they just came out, but fits all of your criteria, and isn’t that large
Yeah but I don't find them attractive, especially the front.....doesn't do it for me but thanks for the thought

OP
OP
Steve R

Steve R

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Off topic but how do you like your I-pace?
I've always bought my cars and kept them until almost run into the ground. We bought the I-pace because I was commuting to and from a ranch/farm and racking up huge miles on the Hummer H2 and then a Honda HRV.....my wife wanted me in something nicer and something EV (for the environment). The I-pace was the only vehicle that looked like a regular car (not ugly) and seemed plausible. To my point: it was the first car I ever bought and figured I could do like many of my friends and just 'get rid of it' in a year or so if I didn't like it.

This may sound ignorant but I bought the I-pace having NO IDEA it has some serious power and handling.....to my shock, it carves the canyons almost on par with my Ferrari, it is a vastly under-rated vehicles for it's performance. Everything else I fell in love with: the cruise control and adaptive steering, the silent non-shifting smooth operation, driving by gas stations and not caring about the price. I never thought I'd love this car as much as I do!!

Truth is, the most practical solution is to do what many families do and simply get a 2nd I-pace....but I find that boring so I want something else. I don't care for the forced "Welcome to the year 2,500" of the Tesla, the interior is just bland as if to suggest this is how modern cars will be. I don't want the bulk of the Hummer EV, the Rivian looks ugly and thing uglier will be that combination of a stealth fighter, el camino and car from Back to the Future that Tesla will eventually make....the one with the shatter resistant glass that broke at the unveiling.

The Taycan will be my daily but if I need to hit Home Depot or the feed store, or haul stuff home.....I'd best plan on taking another vehicle that day. The Taycan is too nice and upscale to commit to the adverse conditions I sometimes place upon a vehicle.

That said, the dealer told me this morning that a sales associate is working with some out-of-state buyer on the same car I'm interested in so this deal may slip away. There's another one at Beverly Hills that may be an option. Seems the Turbo S don't move so quickly, probably due to their price point.

I do appreciate the input and being allowed to vent my thoughts, thanks guys!