rich_r

First Name
RIch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover sport
Country flag
Curious how many of you have a Taycan as your only car? And if it is your only car how have you found that?

My thoughts and logic:
I only have the space and need for 1 car (addtional cars would end up parked on the street) and a Taycan (atleast in Cross Turismo form) could probably handle 95% of our driving scenarios. For those of us with similar situations (And need usable back seats), the Taycan seems like one of the few cars that is able to check all boxes since:
-it handles well and is fun to drive for those windy roads
-It looks great
-It is comfortable with a high quality interior
-Has 4 doors with a usable backseat
-Is available with air suspension to deal with low ground clearance scenarios
-In Cross Turismo form it has a hatch for added practicality
-Being an EV, the running costs are pretty reasonable and, of course, in daily traffic type situations EVs are perfect

Seems like the only cars that could potentially check these boxes fall into the following categories:
Hot hatches (golf R for example), performance wagons (RS6 and E63) and performance SUVs.

I'd like something nicer than a hot hatch, more fun and car-like than an SUV but is still less than 100k (so CT4) and doesn't suck gas like one of the high performance wagons. Will handle better too. Can't think of anything else. Arguably, the performance and space of a CT4 might be closest to an Audi S5/RS5 sportback but that car has numb Audi steering and a front-heavy weight distribution. In theory the TEsla Model S might check these boxes but fails due to Tesla's poor quality and customer service (while still not being as good to drive).

The downsides of EVs (charging times/availability on longer trips) dont' really bother me that much since we rarely take road trips that would exceed the vehicle's range.
Sponsored

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
The Taycan will be my only car. I only have one parking spot in my condo. I use to have a summer and a winter car that I swapped and stored. Sold both of them and will drive the Taycan all year. I don’t road trip very far and see the charging aspect part of the adventure if/when I do. Infrastructure will only improve from here.

I do walk to work when I go to the office (work from home now due to pandemic). My car is used mostly for fun and golfing.

mokre

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan 4s
Country flag
The Taycan is my only car, but I also live alone so that makes things easier. I don't have a charging point at home as I live in an apartment complex. I find myself generally using the car as I would any other gas-powered car with the exception of needing to charge it instead of filling up with gasoline. When I do need to charge I usually also visit the grocery store at the same time, since the EA chargers are in the same parking lot. By the time I've finished shopping and paying the car has been charging @150 kw for 25-30 minutes and that's enough of a charge to last until the next time I need to get groceries.

I don't take road trips either so that's never really been a concern for me. My longest single drive was about 90 miles total as I drove from Irvine to Santa Monica and back on a single day, and easily on less than half a charge.

Jancha

First Name
Janis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 Cabrio (ex Taycan 4s+)
Country flag
Only car for a now. Ideal for day to day use. Might get another track car later, but that’s a different story.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
We have two cars, but for two drivers with independent schedules. So for all practical purposes, it’s the only car for one of the drivers.

But that’s not exactly the same as “only car” because if we had to take a long distance trip with all of us, we still have an ICE car for that. (Sorry, public charging just doesn’t compare to filling up at a gas station where I can go 350+ miles and stop literally anywhere and without any thought about it for 5 min and then continue).

And we do plan on getting a third car. Possibly next year. So, even this, I think, is temporary.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Taycan is my only car. The range has not been a problem for me so far and there is good EA coverage in the places I drive so if I ever need a quick charge it should be ok.
The only time I could not use the Taycan was for a snow trip and that was because the Taycan has summer tires. I have accepted that, and if I ever need to make a very long trip or a snow trip I will rent another car for that trip.

kmcdonal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan 350Z, Subaru WRX
Country flag
We have another car, but the Taycan is our go-to car. It is our long road trip car, our ski car, our kid soccer tournament car, etc. We just always want to drive it. We just put close to 2,000 miles on it on several long trips through the mountains. On those trips it snowed 18 inches a few nights and the roads were super sketchy, but we had no issues with the Taycan.

I keep thinking that we will fall back to our ICE car, a WRX, for something, but that has not happened in the last 10 months. If I needed to haul a lot of stuff or carry 5+ people, the Taycan would not be the right choice, but I don't do those things very often.

OP
OP

rich_r

First Name
RIch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover sport
Country flag
ok, what do you need to push you over the edge?
ok, what do you need to push you over the edge?
Well, at the very least I’ll want to wait until I can test drive a ct4. Until then, I can waffle and over analyze endlessly :)

Mysta

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S - 2020
Country flag
Only other thing I can think of, to play devil’s advocate, is Rivian r1s. Low cog and quad motor should make it handle well, is an ev, and can handle most scenarios.

cometguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Panamera 4 ST E-Hybrid; planned Taycan CT4
Country flag
Not a very big sample yet on this thread, but what's here generally confirms my assessment from following numerous BEV forums: (1) Most BEV owners also own at least one other car with an ICE in it for road trips. (2) Most BEV owners who do not own another car with an ICE in it do not do road trips much with their BEV, if at all (i.e., they will fly to wherever they are going, or they'll rent a car with an ICE in it). (3) Most BEV owners don't use public charging much, if at all, and charge chiefly at home (or at work). This will change, of course, a decade from now, but until public-charging infrastructure, battery-charging times, and battery range/technology all improve, BEVs will take time to become mainstream in society.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I am all EV for my "normal driving" needs - I own two ICE vehicles:
  1. Boxster S for my wife and her convertible needs
  2. 911 GT3 as a track car
if you have home charging a good fast charging network there is virtually no issue owning "pure EV" - the two gas cars don't count in my case because

1. the convertible will be an EV just as soon as there is a good EV convertable
2. Track car - EV's don't track - but it's not used like a normal car - might as well compare it to jet ski which you only use at the lake.

OP
OP

rich_r

First Name
RIch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover sport
Country flag
Only other thing I can think of, to play devil’s advocate, is Rivian r1s. Low cog and quad motor should make it handle well, is an ev, and can handle most scenarios.
Yep it does check a lot of boxes as well but a) I’m sure the Porsche drives better being a lower vehicle plus Porsche suspension tuning expertise b) don’t want to roll the dice on an unproven manufacturer

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
I have the Taycan as my own only car (sold my little weekend roadster along with my previous daily driver) but my wife still has an ICE car which provides me/us with some peace of mind that we can road-trip through charger deserts like some parts of the Midwest if need be. It is largely a psychological rather than a practical comfort, though, but a strong one. My wife is up for a new car this or next year and was considering the forthcoming full-electric Macan, but we are a bit hesitant and may buy a plug-in hybrid instead for her.

PNWTaycan4S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘91 Polar Silver 964, ‘20 Dolomite Silver Taycan 4S, ‘19 Gravity Blue Nero EV
Country flag
Taycan 4S is my daily driver and long trip hauler.

Have a ‘91 964 C2 for sunny day cruises, but find it has been spending most of those days lately parked. 4S is so much fun. My daughter has a Nero EV as her daily driver, and loving it.

I have found charging never to be a problem and refreshingly clean compared to toxic gas stations. ElectrifyAmerica on most routes easy. Need to plan ahead on back road trips and if staying at a remote spot, plan for extended low voltage charging time. Never has been a problem.

My daily driver and will only have electric as my daily in the future.
Sponsored