Tesla2Taycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S P85 + Taycan GTS
Country flag
I love my RWD and 100% agree about the interior. That is why I ordered mine with leather interior. It's a Porsche - get the full leather!

Out of all the P-cars I owned/have owned the BOSE in Taycan is the best BOSE. I have had Burmester in a Panamera Turbo and it was INCREDIBLE. I couldn't justify the $ for Burmester in the Taycan so went with BOSE. That said, base stereo is terrrible.
I couldn’t justify having BOSE in a Taycan so I sprung for Burmester. Yes it is a lot of $$$ but I was worried BOSE would sound like a tin can in a nice car. But I’m curious, Why do you say BOSE in Taycan is the best BOSE?
Sponsored

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Would the base RWD still be a joy to drive without Performance Battery Plus?
From a handling POV almost certainly better because it is lighter.
The extra weight of the PB+ battery is compensated by the extra power for acceleration but cornering and braking will always be better with a lighter car.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
I couldn’t justify having BOSE in a Taycan so I sprung for Burmester. Yes it is a lot of $$$ but I was worried BOSE would sound like a tin can in a nice car. But I’m curious, Why do you say BOSE in Taycan is the best BOSE?
It is a lot of $ but it's awesome. Bose in Taycan is the best Bose in a Porsche to date.

Oink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+, M3P
Country flag
Because it is. It's leagues better than the Bose in my old Audi A8.

Also had a Burmester CT4S loaner, and while the two tweeters on the a-pillar did change the surround profile (it feels more enveloping vs the bose surround option), it's not nearly worth the price hike. If the price difference would be pocket change for me then it's a no-brainer, but I'm more happy with the rarely-used passenger screen than upgrading from the Bose.

The limited "equalizer" of the Bose sucks, though. Just "Bass" and "Treble". So dumb.

Wattsjr9

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan
Country flag
I can’t speak to the TTS, but with my 2022 base….I have to switch to Sport Mode, turn on Auto Recuperation, adjust the AC, make some adjustment(s) to Car Play for music, Sirius, etc. and ultimately drop into Drive when my checklist is complete. I’m like a pilot preparing for takeoff. : )
Same here and it is strange...why not remember the last setting used?

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I can’t speak to the TTS, but with my 2022 base….I have to switch to Sport Mode, turn on Auto Recuperation, adjust the AC, make some adjustment(s) to Car Play for music, Sirius, etc. and ultimately drop into Drive when my checklist is complete. I’m like a pilot preparing for takeoff. : )
21 RWD. Only thing I have to change at startup is drive mode - quick flip of the knob. Individual mode is set for auto recup. Climate control in AUTO, CarPlay loads and starts where it left off, done.

Fsudoles

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan RWD
Country flag
21 RWD. Only thing I have to change at startup is drive mode - quick flip of the knob. Individual mode is set for auto recup. Climate control in AUTO, CarPlay loads and starts where it left off, done.
I have homework to do on individual mode. AC is always where I left it, but I adjust it periodically if it was hit the prior day, I may adjust the temp/fan. CarPlay works pretty good, but I have some occasional hang ups. Nothing major…

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Auto is great - why mess with it. Set temp and forget.

Reactions: ASL

hhf2

First Name
Heiko
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD PB
Country flag
Good to read a comparison.

Would the base RWD still be a joy to drive without Performance Battery Plus?
I think so. I own a 1967 Porsche 912. With the 4 cylinder from the 356 it’s less powerful but much lighter than the contemporary 911. The base Taycan is the same kind of deal for me. You trade power for agility. I opted for the pb+ mainly for range. But if I’d taken it as a track toy…the base will make you a precision driver. The GTS and TS make up for any driver error with idiotic power surplus 😄

Vivamcbride

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan
Country flag
My 2020 TTS is currently at the dealership where they are working to diagnose a charging issue (it starts and stops charging somewhat intermittently and randomly when plugged in at home) and the loaner they gave me is a 2022 RWD Taycan . My TTS is my daily driver that I've had for over a year and about 13,000 miles and this is the first time I've driven the base Taycan, so I thought I would share my impressions. TLDR: I'm really impressed with the base Taycan and it's performance.

The loaner is a 2022 in Neptune Blue with 21" Taycan Exclusive Design wheels and Performance Battery Plus. MSRP, as you can see below, is $107,280.

IMG_7827 Medium.jpeg

By comparison, the MSRP on my TTS was $208,230.

My first thought when they handed me the keys to the loaner was that I was going to be disappointed to be "stuck" with it for a few days. I'm not at all. The two biggest differences are obviously performance and quality of materials. Everyone knows by just reading numbers that the TTS is twice as fast 0-60, which is huge. But in real world driving, I was really impressed with the base Taycan's quickness. Power is delivered immediately and it's quicker than almost all other cars you'll encounter on a daily basis. Braking with the standard brakes vs. ceramic is a non-issue in day to day driving and handling is great. Of course, this is daily driving, not on a track or bombing through twisties. In daily driving, the insane power of the TTS is mostly unusable and the base Taycan has more than enough.

I did get to try out launch control in the base Taycan and I can say this: my wife didn't even look up from online shopping on her cell phone in the base Taycan whereas launching the TTS with her in the passenger seat usually results in a icy stare, colorful language shouted in my direction, and occasional physical violence. Launching a TTS is an event every time. In the base Taycan, it's somewhat pointless.

Performance aside, the biggest difference for me is the quality of the interior, which is where you spend all of your time anyway. The standard interior felt "cheap" to me. Having the standard interior confirmed that in any future build I'd go with the Olea Club leather and the Paldao trim, both of which I currently have and both of which make the car feel far more luxurious. I also think that the Panoramic Roof adds to the higher end feel, but I know that's a topic of much debate here on the forum. I was surprised by the quality of the Bose vs. the Burmester. I'm not sure I'd spec the Burmester again if trying to keep costs down (but is buying a TTS keeping costs down?). The 8-way seats are awful compared to the 18-way seats, and the lack of the sport-chrono package is maddening. Having to press 4 buttons every time I get in as compared to a single twist of a dial is making me crazy after only 3 days.

Most of the other differences are cosmetic and a matter of personal choice. I prefer Gentian Blue over Neptune Blue. I prefer the Mission E wheels, especially painted in Satin Platinum over the Taycan Exclusive Wheels. I love my giant yellow brake calipers. The carbon fiber bits on the TTS are cool but not a deal-breaker for me. I prefer 2 rear seats vs. 3, as the middle seat in the rear seems pretty useless for an adult, and I would not spec the 4-zone climate control again.

All in all, I would of course take a TTS over a base Taycan, and if money is no object so should you, but I'm not sure it's worth $100,000 more. That's a HUGE, HUGE difference and the base Taycan is damn good. Just wanted to share my thoughts, especially for those that may be out there with a base Taycan but pining for a different model. No matter which Taycan model you drive consider yourself lucky, it's a great vehicle.

IMG_7826 Medium.jpeg

IMG_4142 Large.jpeg
Very glad to read this review! I am patiently awaiting delivery of my first Taycan in the next few days (also my first Porsche). It is also my first venture into the area of EV. While I would have loved to splurge on the TTS, I don't think my marriage would have survived. Who knows? Maybe over the next couple of years, I can convince my wife that I need a TTS. Either way, I am excited to hear your comparison of the two. I can't wait to drive it off the lot!

Avantgarde

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' Taycan RWD PB+, 21' X5 Xdrive45e, 09' Cayman
Country flag
Having lived with the 'base' interior, I would agree. When I was configuring my Taycan, I traded off the Olea leather for rear wheel steering, adaptive air suspension and Innodrive. On my next Taycan, I'll upgrade the interior. I can't think of anything else which I regret not getting.
I agree with this 100%. I have the base interior and quality feel/look on the dash started to bother me after a month or two into the ownership, otherwise I love the car. Every Porsche model other than Taycan, I always thought the base interior is the best deal. I remember the materials on doors & dash of my Cayman, looked so cool and used to wonder why anyone would spend money to cover that with leather. Feels like Porsche saw the arbitrage opportunity and created a reason for people to upgrade...
Sponsored