avdb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Raptor
Country flag
Good to read a comparison.

Would the base RWD still be a joy to drive without Performance Battery Plus?
Sponsored

Fsudoles

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan RWD
Country flag
Yeah. Gig 'em! 👍
Hmmmm…wasn’t exactly the direction south I was thinking….anyhow, how ya all feeling about Jimbo? Great recruiter…but he needs to start winning…or I imagine the seat will start warming up a bit. Good luck with your new car….you’ll love it….what color did you go with?

Last edited:

Fsudoles

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan RWD
Country flag

I don’t have the PBP, it’s plenty fast for us and we just drive around town, plenty of range for us. Only 700 miles on the Odometer…we got the car April 10th.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC

Yes.

OP
OP
RoseyPSU

RoseyPSU

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Aston Martin Vantage
Country flag
Thanks for the writeup! Really informative.

btw I’m a little surprised you got a premium/less common exterior color for a loaner. In my experience it’s always boring white or black.
That's a good point. Also with the upgraded wheels. The 4S loaner I've gotten in the past is ... white.

TXAG

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Hmmmm…wasn’t exactly the direction south I was thinking….anyhow, how ya all feeling about Jimbo? Great recruiter…but he needs to start winning…or I imagine the heat will start warming up a bit. Good luck with your new car….you’ll love it….what color did you go with?
Howdy and nice to make your acquaintance! I’m OK with Jimbo for now but give it a few games … you know how fast the SEC machine changes!

After paying a deposit on January 25, I finally pick up my RWD tomorrow! It's Carrara White Metallic with Beige Olea Club Leather. I would have taken Cherry Red Metallic (looks close enough to maroon for us Aggies), but it’s just too hot and dusty for that color IMO here in the Phoenix area. Pics will be posted on the Showroom thread soon…

QueenBean

First Name
Jill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Polestar 2, Rubicon 4xe, F-Pace
Country flag

0-60 MPH time is the same as with the Performance Battery Plus. You loose some energy and power, though the car also looses a significant amount of weight. The lighter Taycan might actually handle a bit better as well.

Fsudoles

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan RWD
Country flag
Howdy and nice to make your acquaintance! I’m OK with Jimbo for now but give it a few games … you know how fast the SEC machine changes!

After paying a deposit on January 25, I finally pick up my RWD tomorrow! It's Carrara White Metallic with Beige Olea Club Leather. I would have taken Cherry Red Metallic (looks close enough to maroon for us Aggies), but it’s just too hot and dusty for that color IMO here in the Phoenix area. Pics will be posted on the Showroom thread soon…
Wonderful…enjoy…..I got it tinted a few weeks after delivery…..it helps…A LOT…..

Fsudoles

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan RWD
Country flag
0-60 MPH time is the same as with the Performance Battery Plus. You loose some energy and power, though the car also looses a significant amount of weight. The lighter Taycan might actually handle a bit better as well.
No Carolina Blue Jill? Good luck in the CWS….

Westbyz80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan
Country flag
Got my RWD a few weeks ago and it’s unbelievable. No regrets. I also specced the F out of it, just a personal preference. Car of my dreams.

Attachments

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Previously: 914, 944 and 997 911S. Now Taycan
Country flag
Thanks for this affirming review. I honestly did struggle with the prospect of spending for more than the base model (which I ended up with), but I felt the only advantage would be that I'd catch up to traffic faster.

DL_AU

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan (previously 911 Carrera T)
Country flag

I skipped the heavier battery and in return: (1) Got a lighter and therefore better-handling car, and (2) All of the other options I wanted such as rear-wheel steering without blowing the budget. I thought I would suffer more range anxiety, but after 3,000km it hasn’t been a problem.

Back to the OP’s point about slower acceleration: Launch control is indeed a bit of an anti-climax in the RWD. It’s not particularly rapid, which is accentuated by the lack of sound and fury. On the other hand, flooring it from the lights no longer draws unwanted attention… and the 30-80km/hr acceleration is effortlessly brilliant.

andreasbiebl

First Name
Andreas Biebl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Porsche 911S, 1991 C4, 2018 Macan Turbo PP
Country flag
My 2020 TTS is currently at the dealership where they are working to diagnose a charging issue (it starts and stops charging somewhat intermittently and randomly when plugged in at home) and the loaner they gave me is a 2022 RWD Taycan . My TTS is my daily driver that I've had for over a year and about 13,000 miles and this is the first time I've driven the base Taycan, so I thought I would share my impressions. TLDR: I'm really impressed with the base Taycan and it's performance.

The loaner is a 2022 in Neptune Blue with 21" Taycan Exclusive Design wheels and Performance Battery Plus. MSRP, as you can see below, is $107,280.

IMG_7827 Medium.jpeg

By comparison, the MSRP on my TTS was $208,230.

My first thought when they handed me the keys to the loaner was that I was going to be disappointed to be "stuck" with it for a few days. I'm not at all. The two biggest differences are obviously performance and quality of materials. Everyone knows by just reading numbers that the TTS is twice as fast 0-60, which is huge. But in real world driving, I was really impressed with the base Taycan's quickness. Power is delivered immediately and it's quicker than almost all other cars you'll encounter on a daily basis. Braking with the standard brakes vs. ceramic is a non-issue in day to day driving and handling is great. Of course, this is daily driving, not on a track or bombing through twisties. In daily driving, the insane power of the TTS is mostly unusable and the base Taycan has more than enough.

I did get to try out launch control in the base Taycan and I can say this: my wife didn't even look up from online shopping on her cell phone in the base Taycan whereas launching the TTS with her in the passenger seat usually results in a icy stare, colorful language shouted in my direction, and occasional physical violence. Launching a TTS is an event every time. In the base Taycan, it's somewhat pointless.

Performance aside, the biggest difference for me is the quality of the interior, which is where you spend all of your time anyway. The standard interior felt "cheap" to me. Having the standard interior confirmed that in any future build I'd go with the Olea Club leather and the Paldao trim, both of which I currently have and both of which make the car feel far more luxurious. I also think that the Panoramic Roof adds to the higher end feel, but I know that's a topic of much debate here on the forum. I was surprised by the quality of the Bose vs. the Burmester. I'm not sure I'd spec the Burmester again if trying to keep costs down (but is buying a TTS keeping costs down?). The 8-way seats are awful compared to the 18-way seats, and the lack of the sport-chrono package is maddening. Having to press 4 buttons every time I get in as compared to a single twist of a dial is making me crazy after only 3 days.

Most of the other differences are cosmetic and a matter of personal choice. I prefer Gentian Blue over Neptune Blue. I prefer the Mission E wheels, especially painted in Satin Platinum over the Taycan Exclusive Wheels. I love my giant yellow brake calipers. The carbon fiber bits on the TTS are cool but not a deal-breaker for me. I prefer 2 rear seats vs. 3, as the middle seat in the rear seems pretty useless for an adult, and I would not spec the 4-zone climate control again.

All in all, I would of course take a TTS over a base Taycan, and if money is no object so should you, but I'm not sure it's worth $100,000 more. That's a HUGE, HUGE difference and the base Taycan is damn good. Just wanted to share my thoughts, especially for those that may be out there with a base Taycan but pining for a different model. No matter which Taycan model you drive consider yourself lucky, it's a great vehicle.

IMG_7826 Medium.jpeg

IMG_4142 Large.jpeg
Great write up and insights, thank you

hhf2

First Name
Heiko
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD PB
Country flag
My 2020 TTS is currently at the dealership where they are working to diagnose a charging issue (it starts and stops charging somewhat intermittently and randomly when plugged in at home) and the loaner they gave me is a 2022 RWD Taycan . My TTS is my daily driver that I've had for over a year and about 13,000 miles and this is the first time I've driven the base Taycan, so I thought I would share my impressions. TLDR: I'm really impressed with the base Taycan and it's performance.

The loaner is a 2022 in Neptune Blue with 21" Taycan Exclusive Design wheels and Performance Battery Plus. MSRP, as you can see below, is $107,280.

IMG_7827 Medium.jpeg

By comparison, the MSRP on my TTS was $208,230.

My first thought when they handed me the keys to the loaner was that I was going to be disappointed to be "stuck" with it for a few days. I'm not at all. The two biggest differences are obviously performance and quality of materials. Everyone knows by just reading numbers that the TTS is twice as fast 0-60, which is huge. But in real world driving, I was really impressed with the base Taycan's quickness. Power is delivered immediately and it's quicker than almost all other cars you'll encounter on a daily basis. Braking with the standard brakes vs. ceramic is a non-issue in day to day driving and handling is great. Of course, this is daily driving, not on a track or bombing through twisties. In daily driving, the insane power of the TTS is mostly unusable and the base Taycan has more than enough.

I did get to try out launch control in the base Taycan and I can say this: my wife didn't even look up from online shopping on her cell phone in the base Taycan whereas launching the TTS with her in the passenger seat usually results in a icy stare, colorful language shouted in my direction, and occasional physical violence. Launching a TTS is an event every time. In the base Taycan, it's somewhat pointless.

Performance aside, the biggest difference for me is the quality of the interior, which is where you spend all of your time anyway. The standard interior felt "cheap" to me. Having the standard interior confirmed that in any future build I'd go with the Olea Club leather and the Paldao trim, both of which I currently have and both of which make the car feel far more luxurious. I also think that the Panoramic Roof adds to the higher end feel, but I know that's a topic of much debate here on the forum. I was surprised by the quality of the Bose vs. the Burmester. I'm not sure I'd spec the Burmester again if trying to keep costs down (but is buying a TTS keeping costs down?). The 8-way seats are awful compared to the 18-way seats, and the lack of the sport-chrono package is maddening. Having to press 4 buttons every time I get in as compared to a single twist of a dial is making me crazy after only 3 days.

Most of the other differences are cosmetic and a matter of personal choice. I prefer Gentian Blue over Neptune Blue. I prefer the Mission E wheels, especially painted in Satin Platinum over the Taycan Exclusive Wheels. I love my giant yellow brake calipers. The carbon fiber bits on the TTS are cool but not a deal-breaker for me. I prefer 2 rear seats vs. 3, as the middle seat in the rear seems pretty useless for an adult, and I would not spec the 4-zone climate control again.

All in all, I would of course take a TTS over a base Taycan, and if money is no object so should you, but I'm not sure it's worth $100,000 more. That's a HUGE, HUGE difference and the base Taycan is damn good. Just wanted to share my thoughts, especially for those that may be out there with a base Taycan but pining for a different model. No matter which Taycan model you drive consider yourself lucky, it's a great vehicle.

IMG_7826 Medium.jpeg

IMG_4142 Large.jpeg
Great write-up. The only thing I’d add is: range.

the base with pb+ gets a good 50-100km more range for me on the highway (120-140km/h cruise).