Taycan Battery Depletion and Regenerative Braking

Rambo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Ford
Country flag
Hello! I am not new to the EV world but not an EV owner yet. Looking at possibly purchasing a Taycan and have test driven one already and it is amazing. I know Porsche will only let the battery fully deplete 80% and keep the remaining 20% to protect the battery longevity. But with the SOC gauge will the car/gauge let you take the vehicle to 0% SOC on the screen or will it go into limp mode at 20% SOC display on the screen?

Also under what driving conditions is it best to turn on for the lack of words (because I don't know what Porsche calls it) more aggressive regenerative braking system? I know it has a button that you can push that makes the system kick in more.

Any help in understanding these two systems more would be great. Sorry if these two questions are more on the noob side.
Sponsored

Fitzban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hello! I am not new to the EV world but not an EV owner yet. Looking at possibly purchasing a Taycan and have test driven one already and it is amazing. I know Porsche will only let the battery fully deplete 80% and keep the remaining 20% to protect the battery longevity. But with the SOC gauge will the car/gauge let you take the vehicle to 0% SOC on the screen or will it go into limp mode at 20% SOC display on the screen?

Also under what driving conditions is it best to turn on for the lack of words (because I don't know what Porsche calls it) more aggressive regenerative braking system? I know it has a button that you can push that makes the system kick in more.

Any help in understanding these two systems more would be great. Sorry if these two questions are more on the noob side.
The SOC gauge will go down to 0. As far as the car giving you warning and going into "limp" mode, looking at the Owner's Manual, which can be downloaded at this thread, on page 130, it shows that there's a warning symbol of a turtle to alert the driver that the vehicle is now in restricted drive power mode. Hopefully, others can clarify, but my guess is that the turtle warning symbol will come on when the charge level is at 7% or less, which is when the charge level warning light goes to red.

As for regen, the "aggressiveness" is controlled by the driver based on how hard you press on the brakes. There is a vehicle setting to have some level of regen when you lift off the accelerator peddle, but it is really only meant to simulate a bit of the ICE engine brake experience.

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
I had the Turtle when I was at 12%. But I’ve also had it down to 5% with no turtle. Because of that I have to assume there are other factors (maybe battery and/or ambient temps) that might affect the turtle.

Last edited:

DeciusCaeciliusMetellus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford
Country flag
As for regen, the "aggressiveness" is controlled by the driver based on how hard you press on the brakes. There is a vehicle setting to have some level of regen when you lift off the accelerator peddle, but it is really only meant to simulate a bit of the ICE engine brake experience.
What @Fitzban says is, that you ALWAYS get regenerative braking in the Taycan when you step on the brake pedal. It's blended braking where the mechanical brakes only apply, when the motors aren't enough. In normal driving the mechanical brakes never get engaged.

OP
OP

Rambo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Ford
Country flag
Thanks for the info on these systems.
Sponsored