DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
WOuld it be much different if my 1st braking occasion was at higher speeds?
Maybe.
I'm trying to imagine how that would even be possible.

Park backwards into your garage, then do launch control directly from the garage onto a highway?
Sponsored

Avantgarde

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' Taycan RWD PB+, 21' X5 Xdrive45e, 09' Cayman
Country flag
I had this pressureless braking now a couple of times, the resistance on the pedal is lower, but repressing with your foot (pump) puts the pressure back on immediately. It’s, at least what I’ve experienced, not sustaining and have experienced similar behavior in other cars.
Exact same happened to me couple times. It gives you a panic for a split second and urges you to slam the pedal. And you can feel a "click" and you immediately get the braking power you need.

bah1590

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4
Country flag
I've had this happen a couple of times. Had to push really hard on the brakes to stop. Only does it the once and then it seems to be fine.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I’ve yet to have this happen to me and I’m been driving in the rain almost every day for the last month or two, including through massive standing water. Zero issues. Not saying it’s not happening, but I don’t think it’s necessarily an issue on every car. If it was, I should have experienced it by now.

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
As someone who works in customer service, i always take complaints at face value when theyre typed in ALL CAPS
+1. Anyone can complain. Apparently there are no injuries or even ANY accidents associated with this issue.

a brake issue. That doesn’t cause accidents.

Mmkay. I’ll wait for the official response.

like every blended brake solution I’ve used, it has some feel and randomness I don’t like. The brakes work, but don’t always inspire confidence in the feel unless you override your feeling with “well fuck, these are Porsche brakes. They’d stop a 6000# SUV on a race track traveling twice my speed. I should … just press harder. It’s going to be okay”

the taycan blended feel is much better than most, but it’s still not perfect. Making it perfect would be … no blended, no regen, which would suck for an EV in other ways

the other thing i‘ve noticed is not everyone is familiar with the feeling and care of ceramics when cold and wet. The brakes aren’t defective, but the customers don’t necessarily understand what it is they bought.

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I’ve yet to have this happen to me and I’m been driving in the rain almost every day for the last month or two, including through massive standing water. Zero issues. Not saying it’s not happening, but I don’t think it’s necessarily an issue on every car. If it was, I should have experienced it by now.
i have noticed different levels of resistance and pedal travel for the same action. They work perfectly but don’t feel perfectly. They’re blended brakes, not a GT car.

bsclywilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
I hope something comes out of this complaint other than just pointing to the existing TSB. It seems enough people experience inadequate braking with the mechanical brakes. It could be a serious safety issue even if the car brakes fine 99% of the time with regen. It’s the rare case where you need the mechanical brakes to supplement the regen under heavy/emergency braking. Or, when on slippery surfaces abs engages, regen is also reduced and transitions quickly to mechanical brakes.

For what it’s worth, if you need to troubleshoot the mechanical brakes with your service technician, put the car in neutral before braking from speed. This will disable regen and brake 100% with the mechanical brakes. It should feel like any other car at this point and not feel soft, long or too different than when braking with regen/in drive.

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
FWIW, there are no circumstances under which anyone should be uncomfortable braking in a modern mass production vehicle, particularly a modern Porsche. I haven't experienced any issues, but, of course, that doesn't mean that others have not. It would also be very, very weird for a new Porsche that has not been tampered with to suffer from this type of brake failure (or even to experience brake fluid contamination or air in the system).

The manner in which people raise an issue ideally should not impact the seriousness with which the claims are investigated.

Maybe this is valid. Maybe it is not. I personally have no way of knowing either way. Yes, I would have gone to a dealer the very first time anything with braking remotely performed the way described (in fact, I would force Porsche to come pick it up), so perhaps I would have handled differently.

vladarh

First Name
Vladimir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
No one is mentioning which type of brakes are affected here. Is this an issue with the regular, surface coated or carbon ceramic ones? (If it is an issue at all...)
Where I live it basically rains every day and I've never had any problems. Have a 2020 4S with regular brakes.
Yes, sometimes you get the feeling of brakes being wet, but you get that on every single car.

DLP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ice Grey Turbo
Country flag
I had a 4S and the brakes were superb. Since going to the Turbo i have, since picking up the car from new, had to left foot 'drag' the brakes after first setting off in the wet. They then work fine. Porsche have had the car and said all is well..... maybe thats just how they are

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
I'm trying to imagine how that would even be possible.

Park backwards into your garage, then do launch control directly from the garage onto a highway?
And, based on the credibility of some of the statements made in that report, I wouldn't be surprised if they'd not noticed that they were triggering the ABS.

Ztarman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
I agree with MyA, I too have experienced this failure on first braking in the morning. The brakes do not stop the car. I now always brake hard at a low speed as soon as I leave my drive and it it seems to fix it. I read somewhere the taycan brake 'learn' what pressure to apply. There's a memo from the Porsche service dept to its staff on how to handle the issue with new owners. The issue happens below 12km/hr which although slow is still enough to hit the car infront at a roundabout.
Sponsored