TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
To the contrary, I stated my complaints about the Tesla in my original post. Thankfully, none are dangerous or life-threatening. Had that been the case, I would not have purchased it. In my case, the car has been operationally perfect. One sheet metal panel doesn't have perfect gapping, but BFD. I find it unacceptable for Porsche to market cars that, among other things, shift into park in intersections, become a brick on a Freeway, have screens that go black and do other weird things while driving, and now, intermittent regen braking. That would be bad enough for a $50,000 car much less a $120,000 car.
I wish you continued success and safe driving.
The irony here is that my Tesla did all of those things except the braking!

For what it's worth, I don't think the 22 and beyond vehicles are broadly having the issues you are pointing out.
Sponsored

Last edited:
Reactions: B61

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
To the contrary, I stated my complaints about the Tesla in my original post. Thankfully, none are dangerous or life-threatening. Had that been the case, I would not have purchased it. In my case, the car has been operationally perfect. One sheet metal panel doesn't have perfect gapping, but BFD. I find it unacceptable for Porsche to market cars that, among other things, shift into park in intersections, become a brick on a Freeway, have screens that go black and do other weird things while driving, and now, intermittent regen braking.
100,000+ Taycans on the road over the past three years. How many reports of accidents have there been due to those issues? Zero.

And based on the repeated polls on this site, what percentage of Taycan owners have had no significant issues whatsoever with their Taycans and would buy one again? IIRC, the last one was about 90%.

So please explain to us how Porsche is ‘marketing’ cars with serious problems. Overreact much?

(Oddly, it wouldn’t be hard to link to a dozen or more incidents of people dying when their Tesla autopiloted them into a fixed object…)

I’ll end by leaving this tidbit from an article from US News and World Report today about Porsche taking top luxury brand honors…

Porsche Taycan Taycan Brakes fail in wet conditions - NHTSA complaint March 2, 2023 C805DD93-D37D-4F0E-919E-568652BDB6E3

Last edited:

JonnyG

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan
Country flag
I don't know if I experienced this particular problem, but I have (more than once, less than 5 times) experienced some curious reactions to braking. They have happened at low speeds and the feeling is that the Taycan gets "confused" between using the regen and mechanical brake. My reaction was to press a bit harder on the brake (as you would if you felt you hit a patch of ice) and proceed on. These have happened few and far between, but when it happened, I said "what the hell was that?"

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
I'm trying to understand the circumstances here. What is happening in wet/cold conditions:
--regen braking fails?
--regen braking works but mechanical brake is not applied strongly or quickly enough?
--regen braking works but tires slip on wet road so more mechanical braking is needed?
I understand that mechanical braking can be impeded by wet brake disks/pads, but I don't understand how wet/cold is affecting regen braking, which is what the complaint seems to imply.
-- no, if the speed is above ~6mph
-- this (2nd item in your list above); below the threshold of regen braking, the discs may be wet, and so the pedal 'sinks' - the hydraulic brakes get actuated but the friction is low, and there isn't much pedal travel left. In these situations, stomping on the pedal stops the car. A slow drag on the pedal seems to "bleed out" (IME)
-- not this either
-- (not in your list) another possibility is a cold start - regen braking will not be invoked for the first couple of braking actions of a new trip (first start overnight/after a number of hours - idk how many). That's specifically to force hydraulic brakes to scrub/dry the discs.

The complaint is very poorly worded, not clarifying what "these conditions" means in the context; specifically, the speed is not indicated (and it's kind of important), nor whether it's the first braking event after a prolonged stop.

(edit) I jumped to post before reading the full thread; as @Windpower and @MyA both described (and others - I might as well delete this post), the first 2-3 braking events are hydraulic only (and you can hear the pads grinding).

Last edited:

Helixer

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 911 Carrera 991.2 and 2020 Cayenne
Country flag
100,000+ Taycans on the road over the past three years. How many reports of accidents have there been due to those issues? Zero.

And based on the repeated polls on this site, what percentage of Taycan owners have had no significant issues whatsoever with their Taycans and would buy one again? IIRC, the last one was about 90%.

So please explain to us how Porsche is ‘marketing’ cars with serious problems. Overreact much?

(Oddly, it wouldn’t be hard to link to a dozen or more incidents of people dying when their Tesla autopiloted them into a fixed object…)

I’ll end by leaving this tidbit from an article from US News and World Report today about Porsche taking top luxury brand honors…

C805DD93-D37D-4F0E-919E-568652BDB6E3.jpeg
Maybe you can explain to Jonny G how he’s delusional.
No one denies Taycan driveability or the positive experience among those who have invested in the product. But get real…the car has documented problems. Denying that is your perogative.

nebur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Similar issue documented from this YouTube video:

minstril

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
I read about a lot of worrisome issues while my GTS was on order. Heaters failing, cars bricking, sketchy software… made me wonder if I was making a mistake.

Out of curiosity, I looked up forums for my previous daily driver. Tons of worrisome problems there too, and yet, I’ve seen none of them. The internet is pretty useless for ascertaining failure rates for things, in my experience.

My GTS has been perfect so far. Do they have an abnormally high rate of serious issues? Maybe. Every car is a gamble though.

Regarding this particular braking issue, I haven’t experienced it myself. It’s been cold and wet here, but not below freezing.

Edit: why is the incident date way back in 2021, but the complaint from this month?

Last edited:

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Couple of things of interest to me from the OP.

Firstly, the incident happened in Nov 2021.
Has the report only just been made?

Secondly, I find it really hard to believe that the dealer took all the Taycans on their lot out and they all did the same thing.
How many Taycans and name of dealer would be helpful. See if they agree.

Porsche Taycan Taycan Brakes fail in wet conditions - NHTSA complaint March 2, 2023 Screenshot_20230307_064954_Chrome

laua

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XC90, V60, CT4S incoming
Country flag
Couple of things of interest to me from the OP.

Firstly, the incident happened in Nov 2021.
Has the report only just been made?

Secondly, I find it really hard to believe that the dealer took all the Taycans on their lot out and they all did the same thing.
How many Taycans and name of dealer would be helpful. See if they agree.

Screenshot_20230307_064954_Chrome.jpg
Agreed - would love to know the dealer. If they were able to reproduce the problem on every Taycan, seems it should be doable for Porsche themselves too?

mikestyle

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
997.1 Turbo + Taycan
Country flag
This brake issue is something I have experienced. My car is a 2020 4S PSCB, and before the major 2022 software update, the issue happened quite frequently. Especially if the ABS comes on, most noticeably when one wheel hits the snow, the entire regen system would disable, and the brakes only apply pressure at the bottom of peddle. This is a frightening experience for the driver and passengers and takes up valuable time in an emergency braking situation.

After the 2022 major software update, the brake blending performance has substantially improved. When ABS turns on, the regenerative braking does not turn off as it did in the past. However, it does restrict the amount of regen. The feeling is not confidence inspiring. However, the brake performance does not seem to be affected.

Even after the update, there are still times when the regen does not come on at all, and the mechanical brakes sluggishly work at the bottom of the peddle.

This happens mostly in cold and wet climates. A classic example is when coming out of a car wash. The regen turns off, and the mechanical brakes feel sluggish and abruptly work at the bottom of the peddle.

I understand the feeling of cold rotors and water on the disks, this is different. The problem is that the peddle feel changes and only seems to work at the bottom of the peddle throw. The best way I can describe it is that the brake booster has stopped functioning, and there is not enough hydraulic brake fluid pressure to stop the pads from hydroplaning on the disk. With the size of the brake callipers, the brake system should be adequate, if not overkill, for the vehicle - in standard Porsche fashion.

Frankly, this is a scary feeling that can cost you valuable seconds in an emergency braking scenario. On the other hand, if the car is in a high G scenario and at the limit, the unsettling of the vehicle through this brake blending conundrum will likely cause the car to rotate unexpectedly.

Porsche has the best brakes in the industry it is amazing how the 600v regen architecture delivers an extraordinary technical feat while also providing 95% of daily braking.

I have tested regen from 200KMPH to zero, stopping at a fairly rapidly pace and keeping the vehicle at the limit of the top regen level. The brake roters were cold to the touch after rapid deaccelartion, that is special!

Unfortunatly there is a complicity between cold brakes, water, ABS and potential brake boosting actuation that need to be sorted out to deliver a true Porsche braking experience.

Last edited:

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Maybe you can explain to Jonny G how he’s delusional.
No one denies Taycan driveability or the positive experience among those who have invested in the product. But get real…the car has documented problems. Denying that is your perogative.
The plural of anecdote is not data.

legataycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 981 Boxster
Country flag
This brake issue is something I have experienced. My car is a 2020 4S PSCB, and before the major 2022 software update, the issue happened quite frequently. Especially if the ABS comes on, most noticeably when one wheel hits the snow, the entire regen system would disable, and the brakes only apply pressure at the bottom of peddle. This is a frightening experience for the driver and passengers and takes up valuable time in an emergency braking situation.

After the 2022 major software update, the brake blending performance has substantially improved. When ABS turns on, the regenerative braking does not turn off as it did in the past. However, it does restrict the amount of regen. The feeling is not confidence inspiring. However, the brake performance does not seem to be affected.

Even after the update, there are still times when the regen does not come on at all, and the mechanical brakes sluggishly work at the bottom of the peddle.

This happens mostly in cold and wet climates. A classic example is when coming out of a car wash. The regen turns off, and the mechanical brakes feel sluggish and abruptly work at the bottom of the peddle.

I understand the feeling of cold rotors and water on the disks, this is different. The problem is that the peddle feel changes and only seems to work at the bottom of the peddle throw. The best way I can describe it is that the brake booster has stopped functioning, and there is not enough braking power to stop the pads from hydroplaning on the disk. With the size of the brake callipers, the brake system should be adequate, if not overkill, for the vehicle - in standard Porsche fashion.

Frankly, this is a scary feeling that can cost you valuable seconds in an emergency braking scenario.

Porsche has the best brakes in the industry it is amazing how the 600v regen architecture delivers an extraordinary technical feat while also providing 95% of daily braking.

I have tested regen from 200KMPH to zero, stopping at a fairly rapidly pace and keeping the vehicle at the limit of the top regen level. The brake roters were cold to the touch after rapid deaccelartion, that is special!

Unfortunatly there is a complicity between cold brakes, water, ABS and potential brake boosting actuation that need to be sorted out to deliver a true Porsche braking experience.
This is precisely what I have experienced many times in my Taycan 4S, also with PSCB. It's a very scary experience.

It happened once on the way to my wedding, that was fun!

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Cast Iron is a better disc material than stainless steel in wet conditions, I wonder if the coated discs are not as good as cast iron when wet.

I wouldn’t be surprised though wouldn’t have expected Porsche to offer them if the difference is big since they are only cosmetic.

bluegrassvroom

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 taycan 4s
Country flag
DETAILS ON THE ORIGINAL POST

For many of you - Glad you're not having Taycan braking issues. Go on to the next post. Because YOU are not having the issues, doesn't mean some people aren't - it also doesn't mean that it's not reproducible, nor does it mean it's not potentially serious

i don't respond to other people's posts saying my radio never acted up that way or my interior sensor hasn't alarmed unnecessarily so they're liars - or they misspelled 2 words and capiTaLiZED things inappropriately so they must be children. Grow up

feel free to read the full 8 pages of posts under this other thread on this same site and see how many people have had this happen to them:

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...i-die-please-have-my-family-sue-porsche.9048/

The car has been to Porsche more times than i can count. No resolution. On one instance, a senior service advisor road with me, experienced it, then hopped in the driver seat, and reproduced it. Then we took out another Taycan, and reproduced it. Later he took out another (or two?) and reproduced it on those two and told me about it later.

Again - glad you're not experiencing it. Doesn't mean I'm a liar, doesn't mean the other several dozen people are liars. I bet you don't even have a Taycan, you're just a Russian troll or a 14 year old who loves Kia and are trying to stir something up.

I'd think if there was something serious about a car of which you owned a model, you'd want to have it fixed, so that A) it wouldn't ever happen to you and B) your resale value wouldn't be affected by this issue and people knowing of it

if anyone wants to take the original 3802 character document i wrote, not realizing the NHTSA only allows 2000 characters, and trim it down in a succinct way that is perfectly written and remove all my caps - go ahead. You must have more free time than I

i honestly think it's a programming error - i think there's a sensor in the wheel wells, that for some reason, when it gets covered or is triggered, it turns OFF the Regen Brakes, and like the first several stops of the day - the car is 100% reliable on the mechanical brakes. Trouble is, the programming forgot to tell the mechanical brakes -"hey, there are no regen brakes and you're needed to pick up the slack, we need you to work when the brake pedal is pressed even a smidge." Meaning - since the regen brakes aren't working for whatever reason, the first 50-60%+ of brake pedal travel does NOTHING to the car, and only at the bottom of the pedal press do the mechanical brakes engage - and when they do - it's minor - not at 'full bite'

YES - it's VERY SIMILAR (if not identical to) the first stop after a car wash. Now, imagine that horrible bad non working brake press after a car wash EXCEPT you're doing 40+ mph and there's traffic and you're approaching a red light with cars stopped. If i didn't swerve into the empty turn lane the first time this happened at speed, i would have had a serious crash with me and my child in the car. The car came to stop about 4-5 car lengths PAST where i wanted it. Again, thank goodness the turn lane was empty

Great, you never experienced this, you're awesome and your car is perfect. Again, doesn't mean I'm lying nor are the other people who've had this happen

the BEST way i found to PURPOSEFULLY reproduce it - is during or immediately after moderate rain, find a puddle (1/2"-2" deep) - and drive through it, then do a sharp turn (or a U-turn) or do the turn AS you're entering the puddle- you can be going 1mph, 5mph, whatever you want (there's a few of you trolls i wish would do this at 125 mph). Then normally it'll happen. I feel like the sensor might be slightly off to the side of the tire, so if it's turned, it's kicking more water up on the sensor. Yes, ok, that won't kill me or any of you, But sometimes this happens in moderate or heavy rain, on straight roads at speed.

I didn't mention which brakes i had because from the other post - people with all types of brakes have experienced it in their Taycans

Yes, there was a ridiculously long time since the first post at the link above and the NHTSA entry. Because i took the car to the local dealer. Several Times. Because I was told Porsche NA was working on the issue reproducing it on their wet track (?) in Atlanta. I even told them before making the entry to NHTSA - hey, I'm not happy with my car's braking in wet conditions, I'm not happy with the lack of progress from Porsche -I think I'm going to have to take this to NHTSA if they don't have a fix in the works. And they didn't have a fix, so I'm doing the only thing iI thought should occur next. Additionally, I'm not in Seattle - i'm not in the most rain-prone area so it doesn't happen that often. It is so serious that for a while - i was driving my kid's 5 year old Nissan Kicks in the rain because i couldn't fathom driving an unsafe car in the rain.

Make fun of me for my big nose or bulging waist or bad hair or my AHDH. Don't make fun of me for trying to fix a serious safety issue in a car. A safety issue that Porsche hasn't fixed after ample opportunities

mikestyle

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
997.1 Turbo + Taycan
Country flag
Cast Iron is a better disc material than stainless steel in wet conditions, I wonder if the coated discs are not as good as cast iron when wet.

I wouldn’t be surprised though wouldn’t have expected Porsche to offer them if the difference is big since they are only cosmetic.
I doubt this is related to the PSCB's. How many people have experienced this with irons?
Sponsored