bxwatso

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4SCT
Country flag
Something like this happened to me this morning in the snow ('23 CT4S). I was braking and hit a patch of black ice. The pedal softened up, went down a couple of inches, and the ABS kicked in.
Theory/speculation: I was using normal regenerative braking, and at least one tire lost all grip on the ice, then the regenerative braking cut-out, and the hydraulic braking/ABS kicked-in exclusively. I expect that the regenerative braking has an artificial brake-feel, and without that, I had to push the pedal down further to achieve the hydraulic action/feel.
Sponsored

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
"I HAVE TO LAY ON MY BRAKES SO HARD, THAT MANY TIMES, THE GREEN HOLD IS LIT ON MY DASH AFTER ATTEMPTING TO STOP. (if you didn't know - if you're stopped, and then press the brake pedal even harder, a green HOLD lights on the dash, you can take your foot off the pedal, and your car will sit there and not slowly inch forward)"
So is that the HOLD function behaving abnormally as well? I assume you're not pressing the pedal harder to engage it once the vehicle has stopped- I've not done an emergency stop in mine so assume that HOLD wouldn't be triggered.

bluegrassvroom

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 taycan 4s
Country flag
So is that the HOLD function behaving abnormally as well? I assume you're not pressing the pedal harder to engage it once the vehicle has stopped- I've not done an emergency stop in mine so assume that HOLD wouldn't be triggered.

the hold works fine - i'm saying that's how hard and how far i'm pressing the brake pedal, to the very end, there is no further to press it, unless i want a Flinstone Car

Porsche Taycan Taycan Brakes fail in wet conditions - NHTSA complaint March 2, 2023 stopping-flintstone

kurand

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan RWD, Lotus Elise S1
Country flag
Interesting you should mention that regen braking likely has an artificial brake feel to it. I was taking my RWD to PEC Silverstone on Friday. At the start of the journey, it had about 110 miles on the clock, and no sign of any brake pedal regen, just good old hydrolics. Then, about half way round the Brackley bypass coming up to one of the many round-about, I get this really weird brake pedal feel, almost like the retardation is building up without increasing pedal pressure. Managed to get stopped ok and headed off to the next round-about. Same thing happens. I glanced down at the power meter to discover that the strange feeling is cause be regen braking that has now started functioning (@ about 170 miles). It’s quite a weird feeling after having got used to the regular hydraulic brakes. It would have been nice to have been given some advanced warning too.

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
the hold works fine - i'm saying that's how hard and how far i'm pressing the brake pedal, to the very end, there is no further to press it, unless i want a Flinstone Car
Admittedly I've not tested for myself, but I'd assumed that HOLD wouldn't be engaged under those circumstances...but on further thought, maybe the car assumes coming to a halt with maximum pedal pressure warrants auto-engage of HOLD (in a similar way that it apparently does when it intervenes to automatically bring the car to a sharp halt in response to an imminent collision hazard). If that's the case, sorry for the red herring- you have faulty brakes if full pedal pressure is needed when driving moderately in normal conditions.

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
oh golly gee, thanks. so pressing in the pedal 1" and wishing really really hard for the car to break doesn't do it?? wow i must be an idiot.
yes.

this is from my very first post on this issue: https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...i-die-please-have-my-family-sue-porsche.9048/

"I HAVE TO LAY ON MY BRAKES SO HARD, THAT MANY TIMES, THE GREEN HOLD IS LIT ON MY DASH AFTER ATTEMPTING TO STOP. (if you didn't know - if you're stopped, and then press the brake pedal even harder, a green HOLD lights on the dash, you can take your foot off the pedal, and your car will sit there and not slowly inch forward)"
your problem is making melodramatic claims that all taycans braking is defective, despite no such evidence at NHTSA. When you should be thinking more about your own car desperately needing repair

you claim a 1-2” puddle does this at slow speed with no steering angle. I do not believe you. Full stop. I have driven in cold and significant rain without issue. I have tracked this car in the rain. I have driven 4 or 5 different taycans. The brakes are phenomenal. Work every time. Best EV brakes I’ve yet experienced. The blended brakes do sometimes feel a pinch spongy, and I prefer the feel of the mechanical brakes. I don’t appreciate having a different braking response for the same level of pedal travel. But other EV blended brakes are much much worse.

Get your car repaired or lemoned and move on with life.

bluegrassvroom

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 taycan 4s
Country flag
your problem is making melodramatic claims that all taycans braking is defective, despite no such evidence at NHTSA. When you should be thinking more about your own car desperately needing repair

there's enough people responding to my threads saying they've experienced it that tells me it's not a one-off issue.

The service tech at the dealer took me out in another Taycan and reproduced it with me in the car. to me, it's happened in 100% of Taycans i have been in in those rainy conditions

i was hoping to cause a stir and get Porsche to look into it better.

yes, i want it fixed. That's why it's been for service 4 or 5 times for this. I'd love for them to buy me out/swap it for another that doesn't do it. All i've gotten them to do is give me a number for a trade-in from the dealer, not from Porsche NA which doesn't interest me

Yes my car has stopping issues in the rain in certain conditions. Other taycans do too, per my own experience at the service center and per other people's responses. Hopefully it's not all of them, i haven't said it was. And frankly, i don't give a ________ if you believe me. I don't need to convince you, i don't need to respond to every person saying NUH-UH, IT DON'T DO THAT

i alerted my dealer who talked to Porsche NA about this multiple times before i went to the NHTSA

Just because you haven't experienced this doesn't mean it hasn't happened to me or other cars. If it's happened to multiple people in similar circumstances, thus is an issue Porsche needs to address.

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Nobody else here is talking about the brakes failing to stop the car. They're all talking about sometimes the pedal pressure is bizarre in a few different ways. A sudden softness and pressing into the mechanical brakes, which work, is not the same as the brakes fail.

You claim the car fails to stop. I think ? All the way into the hold function ? There's been a lot of incoherence and ranting which makes your story difficult. There is 100% no way that "every taycan at my dealer does this". That's not remotely believable. If your story is even half true, you need a new car and a new dealership.

I've driven more taycans than you, and the brakes always stop the car with extreme violence when you get to the threshold.

ntmatter

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan, 2001 HMMWV M1123A2
Country flag

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Regenerative braking is frequently (always?) is not available briefly on start. I haven’t figured out what exactly the criteria is, and that randomness and opacity is part of what I dislike about EV blended brakes. Teslas do similar things, particularly at high charge.

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
Regenerative braking is frequently (always?) is not available briefly on start. I haven’t figured out what exactly the criteria is
It’s to clean off the brake rotors. It usually happens on your first drive of the day. No big mystery.

ntmatter

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan, 2001 HMMWV M1123A2
Country flag
Weird, as this was not something (no regen when starting out) that my car did before they did the rear brake recall on my 4S. It was noticeably different immediately after getting it back, as in I noticed it clearly pulling out of the dealership service department. Once I figured out what it is it was not a concern, but something changed for sure when they did the recall - might just be me, though.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
there's enough people responding to my threads saying they've experienced it that tells me it's not a one-off issue.
It clearly isn’t a one off but it has the classic hallmarks of needing the brakes bleeding properly.
My car’s brakes behave just as I would expect. Drive through water and the discs need the pads to wipe the film of water off, but it takes fractions of a second and then is fine, my car has never had an unusually long brake pedal travel.

I did choose cast iron brakes because my Formula 1 racing experience leads me to believe they are the best for a road car though, FWIW.

mikestyle

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
997.1 Turbo + Taycan
Country flag
This morning after heavy rainfall, I was going 80 KMH coming up to a stop sign intersecting a major highway. There was a 1/4 inch puddle that caused my regen to turn off and hydraulic brakes to become "unboosted" I almost blew right through the intersection. If I was speeding slightly, I would be T-boned.

This was my first "high-speed" experience with failure, and I'm scared now. My wife was petrified.

dtich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan GTS;'12 Model S(sold); Aprilia; Triumph
Country flag
This seems like an actual programming/function issue that needs addressing and modification by P. There are enough similar anecdotes that a clear behavior is evident and it is potentially quite dangerous.
Sponsored