whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I'm glad there's a complaint. Maybe Porsche will actually look into it.

I've witnessed a few times that the brakes didn't engage nearly as much as expected and I had a distinct "long pedal feel" followed by a panicky slamming of the brakes. Always happened to me during conservative driving early in the morning, in the cold and wet (ie when the car is 'cold soaked'). Not very reproducible, I'd say it happens about once a month when driving daily here in the PNW winter.
Interesting. I will be on a lookout for this. I've experienced less braking capability on others cars (including Tesla) when braking for the first time after driving in a cold wet PWN environment. However I when I did one of my weekly 3am drives in the PNW rain, I actually expected wet brakes when exiting the highway but didn't experience that in the Taycan (I've only had the Taycan for less than a month). I was thinking to myself "good job Porsche".

I definitely feel and hear the first portion of first drive of the day when regen is off in order to scrape any rust off my brakes. So while not perfectly seamless, Porsche blended braking so far has me generally impressed.

IIRC Tesla also faced an issue where the auto-regen braking in some cold conditions had unexpectedly weaker braking. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the kind of stuff all the different companies need to work through as they launch their EVs. Where Porsche is different from Tesla is that Tesla has the actual brake pedal always skip past regen into normal braking, so Tesla avoids the "oh shit" feeling when the actual brake pedal seems to be too weak.
Tesla solution is brain-dead simple - regen is only controlled by letting off the accelerator, bake pedal controls the mechanical brakes all the time - doesn't take regen into consideration (the driver will, since once they take their foot off the accelerator, the regen braking happens, so driver will not press the brake pedal as hard). When battery is too cold or too full, the regen is limited or off, which can generate a feeling like your brakes are bad, but that's because you have to press the brake pedal, therefore engage mechanical brakes, harder than if regen was on. That was something I was hoping Porsche blended brakes would eliminate, plus Porsche can regen over 4 times more than Teslas (in the right conditions), thanks to blended braking.
Sponsored

slothinker

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 (now sold), Toyota MR2, BMW 328i (now sold)
Country flag
I've never pushed "PARK" which I read in the manual is the emergency brake. Does anyone have experienced trying this at highway or similar speeds?

Helixer

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 911 Carrera 991.2 and 2020 Cayenne
Country flag
I'm a Porsche fan and have owned seven P cars over the years. I have two in the garage as I write this. I recently decided to dispose of my Tesla M3P and replace it with an EV with a more luxurious interior and a quieter, smoother ride. While I wanted to love the Taycan, the unusually high number of complaints about the software, were very off putting. I choose not to purchase a high-priced vehicle which can leave me stranded on a CA freeway. Now, this braking failure is even more troubling.
I know how pride of ownership oftentimes triggers an automatic defensive response to quality complaints, but it's clear to me Porsche hurried the introduction of this vehicle. I'll wait for the "new and improved" version. In the interim, I'm awaiting a BMW i4. Yes, the grill...I know.

Reactions: MyA

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Interesting. I will be on a lookout for this. I've experienced less braking capability on others cars (including Tesla) when braking for the first time after driving in a cold wet PWN environment. However I when I did one of my weekly 3am drives in the PNW rain, I actually expected wet brakes when exiting the highway but didn't experience that in the Taycan (I've only had the Taycan for less than a month). I was thinking to myself "good job Porsche".

I definitely feel and hear the first portion of first drive of the day when regen is off in order to scrape any rust off my brakes. So while not perfectly seamless, Porsche blended braking so far has me generally impressed.

Tesla solution is brain-dead simple - regen is only controlled by letting off the accelerator, bake pedal controls the mechanical brakes all the time - doesn't take regen into consideration (the driver will, since once they take their foot off the accelerator, the regen braking happens, so driver will not press the brake pedal as hard). When battery is too cold or too full, the regen is limited or off, which can generate a feeling like your brakes are bad, but that's because you have to press the brake pedal, therefore engage mechanical brakes, harder than if regen was on. That was something I was hoping Porsche blended brakes would eliminate, plus Porsche can regen over 4 times more than Teslas (in the right conditions), thanks to blended braking.

The issue on the Taycan is not reproducible enough in my experience to state exact parameters (or else I'd already have followed up with the dealer). But it does pop up often enough to remind me that it's real.

Anecdotally: doesn't seem to be when it's brutally cold, but definitely winter weather. I'd say near freezing but not below. Same with precipitation: some water on the road, but also not crazy. Can't tell you what part of that is directly impacting the system, vs. impacting how I drive, vs. just a consequence of what conditions are common here in the PNW.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
I'm a Porsche fan and have owned seven P cars over the years. I have two in the garage as I write this. I recently decided to dispose of my Tesla M3P and replace it with an EV with a more luxurious interior and a quieter, smoother ride. While I wanted to love the Taycan, the unusually high number of complaints about the software, were very off putting. I choose not to purchase a high-priced vehicle which can leave me stranded on a CA freeway. Now, this braking failure is even more troubling.
I know how pride of ownership oftentimes triggers an automatic defensive response to quality complaints, but it's clear to me Porsche hurried the introduction of this vehicle. I'll wait for the "new and improved" version. In the interim, I'm awaiting a BMW i4. Yes, the grill...I know.
So why have you ignored all the complaints about Teslas, exaggerating problems with Taycans but buy a brand new, unproofed car like the i4 instead?
Leaves me pretty clueless actually. 🤔

Last edited:

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I'm not sure I'd call it a "braking failure" - and it would not stop me from buying a Taycan.
(Other things might - for example I find the transmission really off-putting. I have a much bigger issue with things that were clearly designed poorly as part of it being their first EV.)

Helixer

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm not sure I'd call it a "braking failure" - and it would not stop me from buying a Taycan.
(Other things might - for example I find the transmission really off-putting. I have a much bigger issue with things that were clearly designed poorly as part of it being their first EV.)
Argumentum a fortiori.
No car is perfect, and this one is exceptionally beautiful, but like some women in my past, gorgeous but flawed beyond redemption...at least for the time being. Just my opinion.

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
um, having owned both multiple Teslas and multiple Porsches, there is no comparison between the build quality and reliability of Tesla and Porsche. I have been stranded by my Tesla. I have never been stranded by a Porsche, including this EV. Porsche, there is no substitute.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
So you decided not to buy a car because of a few dozen complaints on an Internet forum about a car that’s been sold to over 100,000 owners? :CWL:

Word of advice, I’d refrain from doing any research before you buy your next car, or you might end up walking.

Helixer

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
um, having owned both multiple Teslas and multiple Porsches, there is no comparison between the build quality and reliability of Tesla and Porsche. I have been stranded by my Tesla. I have never been stranded by a Porsche, including this EV. Porsche, there is no substitute.

I think we all recognize that saying there is a much higher incidence of problems than usual does not imply that every car is faulty. I happy for you that you got a good one. If I could be assured of that, I'd be driving one.
I would also say that sometimes it seems that forum aficanados are loathe to recognize publicly shortcomings for fear of diminished demand and resale value. Again, just my opinion.

Taycan_turbo18

First Name
Laura
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan turbo
Country flag
I've had this problem for a while and the car has been in the garage 3 times now with this issue. I have since found out it's a common problem. The issue has to be reported to Porsche 3 times before they'll escalate this case. Then all they do is change the pump and send you on your way not fixing the problem. You then have to go back again and they'll fit a different part ( can't remember what they said it was) and this finally fixes the problem.

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
I think we all recognize that saying there is a much higher incidence of problems than usual does not imply that every car is faulty. I happy for you that you got a good one. If I could be assured of that, I'd be driving one.
I would also say that sometimes it seems that forum aficanados are loathe to recognize publicly shortcomings for fear of diminished demand and resale value. Again, just my opinion.
That really wasn't the point I was making. Your comment implies that you had no problem with Tesla, or at least that's how I read it.

The Internet is FULL of complaints about Tesla and faulty build quality.

There are complaints about Taycans, but I do not think the ratio of complaints to cars is as high as it is for Tesla.

So, if you were saying that complaints were too high for Taycan, then I don't know why you bought a Tesla and, if you were fine with Tesla, then you would be fine with a Taycan.

Yes, there are always lemons, but that's true across all types of cars, EVs or not. I do not think Porsche is known for having a high ratio of lemons or build quality problems.

Helixer

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So you decided not to buy a car because of a few dozen complaints on an Internet forum about a car that’s been sold to over 100,000 owners? :CWL:

Word of advice, I’d refrain from doing any research before you buy your next car, or you might end up walking.
I appreciate your advice, but my decision was also based upon conversations with a very knowledgeable Porsche service adviser whose opinion I trust. As I await the improved product, I fortunately have other options to walking. One such option is my 911, which is close to automobile perfection...which I hope Taycan will be in the future.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
right after i wash my car and I move it then hit the brakes it slips alot . like the brakes do not work. does this count?
#metoo

Helixer

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That really wasn't the point I was making. Your comment implies that you had no problem with Tesla, or at least that's how I read it.

The Internet is FULL of complaints about Tesla and faulty build quality.

There are complaints about Taycans, but I do not think the ratio of complaints to cars is as high as it is for Tesla.

So, if you were saying that complaints were too high for Taycan, then I don't know why you bought a Tesla and, if you were fine with Tesla, then you would be fine with a Taycan.

Yes, there are always lemons, but that's true across all types of cars, EVs or not. I do not think Porsche is known for having a high ratio of lemons or build quality problems.
To the contrary, I stated my complaints about the Tesla in my original post. Thankfully, none are dangerous or life-threatening. Had that been the case, I would not have purchased it. In my case, the car has been operationally perfect. One sheet metal panel doesn't have perfect gapping, but BFD. I find it unacceptable for Porsche to market cars that, among other things, shift into park in intersections, become a brick on a Freeway, have screens that go black and do other weird things while driving, and now, intermittent regen braking. That would be bad enough for a $50,000 car much less a $120,000 car.
I wish you continued success and safe driving.
Sponsored