tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
I didn't realise the front motor does 66% of the recuperation. I wonder does regen feel very different on a RWD Taycan – as it transitions between rear motor recuperation and front axel brake discs?

Any thoughts on that @f1eng ?

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
I didn't realise the front motor does 66% of the recuperation. I wonder does regen feel very different on a RWD Taycan – as it transitions between rear motor recuperation and front axel brake discs?

I am not surprised, what with weight transfer on a 50:50 weight distribution car it is natural to use front brakes more than rear, it could easily be more.
Usually bigger discs and calipers are used at the front on any car.

I have often noted that I haven’t felt 4WD necessary on any car until the EV and entirely because of this.

I don’t know how they deal with it on the RWD, maybe the system uses only braking at the rear as long as locking isn’t close, so only using the fronts for heavy braking but maybe it uses the discs and pads all the time.

OP
OP
Clod Reed

Clod Reed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Neptune blue Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Why have the surface coated brakes if they are not being used that much ?
Significantly, Porsche’s Surface Coated Brake discs should be standard. They use a layer of drill-bit-tough tungsten carbide to reduce wear and resist corrosion. Porsche reckons 90 per cent of day-to-day braking will be done by the recuperation system, leaving a set of standard iron discs at serious risk of furring up. 😬🤯The service schedule shows the pads need attention – but not necessarily replacing – every six years; that’s how little wear they’ll get. (Porsches words not mine )😮

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I am not surprised, what with weight transfer on a 50:50 weight distribution car it is natural to use front brakes more than rear, it could easily be more.
Usually bigger discs and calipers are used at the front on any car.

I have often noted that I haven’t felt 4WD necessary on any car until the EV and entirely because of this.

I don’t know how they deal with it on the RWD, maybe the system uses only braking at the rear as long as locking isn’t close, so only using the fronts for heavy braking but maybe it uses the discs and pads all the time.
FWIW, Frank - whenever I read your (always great) posts, I picture them coming from the guy in the black sweater and white shirt smiling at what's being shown to him on the paper, even though I know that's not you.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
FWIW, Frank - whenever I read your (always great) posts, I picture them coming from the guy in the black sweater and white shirt smiling at what's being shown to him on the paper, even though I know that's not you.
I am the one on the left. The avatar software cropped the left side of a normal shaped photo to get a square.
The guy on the right is Frank Williams and the sweater of our team uniform was actually bottle green.

They were great days, I much preferred Formula 1 when there were no huge corporations involved.

OP
OP
Clod Reed

Clod Reed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I am the one on the left. The avatar software cropped the left side of a normal shaped photo to get a square.
The guy on the right is Frank Williams and the sweater of our team uniform was actually bottle green.

They were great days, I much preferred Formula 1 when there were no huge corporations involved.
I had you down as the guy on the right 😂

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Why have the surface coated brakes if they are not being used that much ?
Significantly, Porsche’s Surface Coated Brake discs should be standard. They use a layer of drill-bit-tough tungsten carbide to reduce wear and resist corrosion. Porsche reckons 90 per cent of day-to-day braking will be done by the recuperation system, leaving a set of standard iron discs at serious risk of furring up. 😬🤯The service schedule shows the pads need attention – but not necessarily replacing – every six years; that’s how little wear they’ll get. (Porsches words not mine )😮
I am sure the plated discs and the pads developed to go with them are good, otherwise Porsche wouldn’t use them.
IME getting good brake material, both for disc and pad is quite difficult.
The stainless steel discs use on motorcycles so they looked nice were really bad, particularly when wet.

The cast iron discs will get rust on and that is why regenerative braking is off for the first mile or so of a journey, allowing the pads to clean up the discs.

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo, Eletre R (on order)
Country flag
leaving a set of standard iron discs at serious risk of furring up. 😬🤯The service schedule shows the pads need attention – but not necessarily replacing – every six years; that’s how little wear they’ll get. (Porsches words not mine )😮
Something Tesla (especially Model 3) are infamous for and worse - like needing replacement discs at comparatively very low milage due to bad pitting.

Sorry to the Teslarati but their brakes really are shit!

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think the team that worked on the blending got it pretty much spot on.
Me too.

I know one of the Porsche racing driver “ambassadors” who did a bit of development driving and he told me it was one of the things which needed the most engineering effort and the 919 Le Mans car lessons were incorporated.
Not data most car companies have in their files.

OP
OP
Clod Reed

Clod Reed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The cast iron discs will get rust on and that is why regenerative braking is off for the first mile or so of a journey, allowing the pads to clean up the discs.
[/QUOTE]
im not sure if regen is off for the first mile
In the Taycan, 90 percent of all times the driver brakes in everyday situations, this can be done using electric power only, i.e. without the involvement of the hydraulic system. The latter is only used at speeds below 5 km/h,

if you don’t drive slow 😉….the standard brakes will fur up like a magnet in a bucket of iron filings 😂

timo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS, Sequoia
Country flag
In the Taycan, 90 percent of all times the driver brakes in everyday situations, this can be done using electric power only, i.e. without the involvement of the hydraulic system. The latter is only used at speeds below 5 km/h,

if you don’t drive slow 😉….the standard brakes will fur up like a magnet in a bucket of iron filings 😂
[/QUOTE]

It's off on my car in the first mile or so. I have a steep hill near my home I go down every morning. The regen meter hardly registers anything. Later in the day that same hill shows significant regen.

joacimli

First Name
Joacim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sport Turismo M22 (2:nd Taycan), Porsche 968, 1992
Country flag
I wonder does regen feel very different on a RWD Taycan – as it transitions between rear motor recuperation and front axel brake discs?

Well, I can tell you that it feels very different when you lightly touch the brake pedal and it is black ice on the road! More like my old 964 C2 if you became hesitant in a fast corner.

OP
OP
Clod Reed

Clod Reed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

It's off on my car in the first mile or so. I have a steep hill near my home I go down every morning. The regen meter hardly registers anything. Later in the day that same hill shows significant regen.
[/QUOTE]
The 5km/h bit was straight from porsche
Sponsored