Taycan: Buyer be aware or how to go from soul electrified to soul crushed

Deleted member 6348

Supply chain issues are no joke. It can take months to get spares. Don’t break your windshield and if you get chip, get it repaired quickly, because replacements are slow coming. Heck, I had to wait six weeks for tires for my 911. It’s not just Porsche — a friend waited a month for tires on their Camry. Another friend just called me today astonished that it would take three months for the dealer to get the parts for his annual service. This is the world right now.

Is it frustrating? Sure, but there’s almost nothing that you can do about it. We are all in the same boat and for some of us, quite literally.
Sponsored

Skilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
A few exposed nerves and pretty nasty comments being sent via keyboard. I like to wonder how those conversations would go in person. The keyboard is such an enabler of interactions that would just never happen in 'real life'.

In terms of your issues, they happen.

Respectfully, I would suggest that you put aside your emotions and consider you own what is emerging technology, surrounded by a logistics/supply chain and manpower/expertise WW shortages. A safe purchase would not be a Taycan. If you expect it to go as smoothly as a 911 that has been in production for 60+ years, it would help to do a reset of those expectations.

If they have the car for more than 30 days, you will have grounds for a repurchase or Mfg buyback but it will be a process, and won't be easy...likely by the time you get there, they will have your issues solved. A lot of folks on this forum come here for research long before they purchase the Taycan, so they tend to be 'ready for impact' when it comes to the issues that you are facing. So there is a lot of sharing of these issues, mostly to confirm if there is a fix, or is your car having unique problems etc. If you can describe it, there is no doubt a thread on the issue and the fix!

For me, the PCM has frustrated the hell outa me. That said, it's a VERY good car overall - MUCH better than a Tesla imho (who also had HUGE growing pains as they ramped).

As a few have mentioned, it sucks to go through what you are going through (many have), but this is a Taycan forum so you are surrounded by battle tested supporters of the the car.

williamo

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Macan S | 19 Range Rover | 22 Taycan (on order)
Country flag
"an internet forum" for Taycan owners, enthusiast. I am amazed how people jump on the righteous horse and make comments founded in their fantasy world. You know NOTHING about me. I laid out facts and did a play on their slogan. I am truly impressed that you are so concerned with Ukraine and that you are selling all your cars to send money to the cause.
I'm sorry you had issues with your Taycan on Day 1. That is so frustrating. My Taycan is now delayed by about a month - it was in the middle of production according to TYD when Porsche halted all production. I'm beginning to wonder if it will all be worth it.

Also to all the trolls, did you know you can be shocked and horrified by what's happening in Ukraine AND also be annoyed that an expensive product you paid for isn't providing exactly what you paid for. Buying a new Porsche actually keeps a lot of people in jobs, helps multiple economies, and before the war, directly helped Ukraine's economy since this is where lots of Porsche's wiring harnesses are sourced from.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
I agree that OP needs to be mindful of lack of technicians and supply issues. It is what it is. I have 1 year+ lead times on formally stock components at work.

But LOL at anyone bringing up Ukraine, or Felicity Ace, or inflation…

All of those excluded, I could find 100 other things worse than OP’s situation on any given day. What does any of that have to do with OP’s car?

OP isn’t on a Ukraine forum complaining about the car. That would be insensitive. ?
This place (you know…the forum for his car) seems appropriate. ?‍♂

I found OPs initial post some what out of touch…but some of the replies are so much worse….

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
As above, your experience sucks and I'm sorry you have to deal with it.

However, Porsche is working on fixing your problem and, honestly, the timeframes you've been given are quite good considering global issues/shortages/delays.

Hopefully the dealership has you in a nice loaner.

The Taycan issues you experienced are issues every single car manufacturer is going through. Not only are there global constraints but the products being made are currently lower quality, as companies frantically build parts and shove them out the door without proper QC.

Unless you want Porsche to drive your car for a few hundred miles before delivering it to you, there are things their QC won't pick up.

Bottom line; your situation sucks, hopefully your dealership is taking care of you, but it's nothing unusual or Porsche/Taycan specific.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Dealers don’t have spare tires let alone complex parts

they also don’t have enough “Taycan certified” technicians, further worsening the problem.
And yet, they won't release (or even sell) repair manuals to customers.

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
Spare parts are scarce for a number of cars at the moment
Last summer I had a minor fender bender in my Tesla Y and it took two months for my Tesla certified body shop to get a new front plastic piece (and about 30 other screws and nuts) from Tesla to complete the repair. From what I understand, car companies in general can't keep spare parts in stock due to shortages which prevent them from selling complete cars. My repair shop had a number of cars in their storage area waiting for parts so they could compete the repair.

Not everything distills down to Ukraine and nothing else matters.
It's sad that you had the car 12 days before its down for repair, but as noted, this is a first world problem. It could be worse (and I'm not trolling). Shit happens.

Brazz

First Name
CB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Panamera 4S EH, 2022 Cayenne
Country flag
Wow! That's unfortunate. And, yes, these are first-world issues, but it doesn't remove the disappointment and frustration of owning a new vehicle that doesn't work. Hell, clean water, eating, and typing on our phones and computers are first-world privileges. So give the OP some slack for sharing his experience...isn't that the purpose of the forum?

DCYL725

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2021
Country flag
Don't mean to pour salt on the would but...

Don't forget about the current hole your retirement accounts/risk asset investments are in. Though, if you're very savvy and rich, the money would be in an uncorrelated strategy.

Open up the market indices. Most traditional 401k's that track North American indices are all down in a hole until geopolitical uncertainties subside. High oil prices, inflation, rising rates (stagflation, anyone?) is going to weigh down hard on the global economy for the interim.

But yeah...to the OP, sorry to hear about your troubles. Funny play on Soul Electrified, nicely done. I can see it as a youtube skit and if it really gains traction, Porsche will have to make another video to apologize, ha.

Have them give you 992 loaner! Is that possible, anyone with that experience of a mishap so egregious that the dealer just said, here, use the 992 until issues are resolved?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Apologies in advance for the long entry.

02/24 - Purchased Taycan. Car had issues by the time I arrived home, "Transmission error, Continue driving possible with adjustment", and then "Transmission failure. Park vehicle in a safe place".
02/25 - Car picked by dealership.
02/26 - Dealership cannot communicate with Germany to troubleshoot, servers are down.
02/28 - Dealership cannot troubleshoot until necessary tool is appropriated to remove parts
03/01 - Dealership will order servor motor as that will be the first component to trouble shoot, ETA of part 03/04.
03/07 - Part arrives and troubleshooting begins.
03/08 - Dealership informs me that the part replaced (servo motor) was defective but that additionally the transmission has to be replaced as the issue was not resolved. Expected arrival of transmission from Germany 2 weeks.

Is it acceptable for Porsche dealerships to sell cars they cannot service?
Is it acceptable that they do not disclose that (buyer be aware)?
Can the whole of North America dealership network do not ave a spare part and it has to be delivered from Germany as opposed to be expedited within the 50 states? If that is the case then corporate Porsche made a conscious choice to sell non-serviceable cars without telling their customers!!!!

This car is my dream car. Soul crushed.
so what?

car’s take time - porsche isn’t a volume manufactuer - if you want a car fixed in less than a week buy something high volume and un-inspiring - guess what it’s a new product that doesn’t have the history of 100’s of years of manufacturing and service…why any of this surprises you is beyond me.

if you want a manufacturer that has “enough” EV certified techs - buy a Tesla - all of their techs are EV certified because that’s all that they make - yeah the existing manufacturers have NO IDEA what they are doing and it’s going to take time to transition to this whole EV thing.

get a loaner from your dealer and enjoy driving a car on their miles - when your Taycan is fixed you’ll get back and then it will be fine - if it takes more than 30 days then you can lemon it and get all your money back

this isn’t a real problem and if you disagree perhaps Porsche isn’t your vendor of choice - I‘m having a hard time having any sympathy for this situation.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I‘m having a hard time having any sympathy for this situation.
I'm guessing your car landed on delivery day without issue.

I have great empathy for the OP, it's a disappointment after the months-long build up of excitement.

Yes it's a car and things go wrong, but OP has every right to be frustrated about it.

Hopefully they can do right by him, like put him in a Taycan loaner so he can at least experience what it's about while his is fixed.

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
These types of issues have been happening since the cars were introduced back in 2020 before the whole supply chain really backed up. Porsche has really struggled with this car's reliability. I know of many cars that have needed new batteries, have had many electronic failures and parts have been very hard to come by. I need to bring mine in AGAIN for yet another DME software update. This is an extension of the update to correct the cars from losing all power while you are driving down the road. I can appreciate that you are pissed, you have every right to be. It seems a whole lot of people in here are willing to put up with all these problems to justify their purchase of the car.

Reactions: vdr

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
@nikolaos.abatzis , I wouldn't engage single issue activist trolls. You don't have enough time in the world to argue and they will never stop. Whether you stub your toe, you break you leg, your spouse cheats on you, hackers empty your retirement accounts, your home collapses into a sinkhole, you become homeless, you lose a limb, a drunk driver killed your family member, they will always come back with "don't whine you insensitive bastard, _insert_single_bad_issue_here is much worse". In this case the single_bad_issue is the war in Ukraine, which is an absolutely horrible situation, but it doesn't invalidate all other problems in the word. Let's see if the people attacking you sell their Porsches and donate all the money to Ukraine, then take a bus. After all, it should offend them to spend so much money on a car, money which could be used to aid people in a war. Actions (or lack thereof) speak louder than words.
Sponsored