Taycan buyers: what is your financial means? [anonymous]

What is your annual income, including investment income?

• Under $250K

Votes: 13 35.1%
  • $250K-$500k

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • $500K-$1MM

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • $1MM-$1.5MM

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • $1.5MM-$2MM

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Over $2MM

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • I’m not comfortable answering

Votes: 5 13.5%

• Total voters

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Very personal question, I know. But this is an anonymous survey. My Taycan will be by far the most expensive car I’ve bought, after 30 years of BMW 5s. I’m curious about who puts that type of investment in such a car. Is your taycan a financial stretch, but an indulgence that’s worth the cost to you? Or is the price mere pocket change?
Sponsored

TAYC4N

First Name
AM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS (PTS)
Country flag
Im not sure anyone will want to disclose this on a public forum especially when the poll tells you peoples usernames!

domin1720

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 macan gts
Country flag
Very personal question, I know. But this is an anonymous survey. My Taycan will be by far the most expensive car I’ve bought, after 30 years of BMW 5s. I’m curious about who puts that type of investment in such a car. Is your taycan a financial stretch, but an indulgence that’s worth the cost to you? Or is the price mere pocket change?
respectfully i don't want to know what others make and they don't need to know what I make. Completely irrelevant and private.

OP
OP

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
respectfully i don't want to know what others make and they don't need to know what I make. Completely irrelevant and private.
Apologies if you think this is inappropriate. I can delete if that’s what people feel. I’m just trying to do an anonymous survey. Nobody can see your answers.

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag

OP
OP

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
There is no such thing as Anonymous anymore.
I don’t really see a hacker hacking into the site and seeing your answer, which isn’t even stored, and then somehow figuring out who you are. I work in IT and know a bit about how these things work. And then what would they even do with that information? But if this survey upsets people I will take it down. I’ll give it a bit and see what people say.

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Not sure this gives any insight. I am paying for the Taycan by selling some stock, so if one would only look at my income and investment income, one would conclude it was a stretch purchase, when it fact it wasn't at all.

edit. although it is none of my business, i would be more interested in knowing if this was a stretch purchase. In the early days of Tesla, the "Tesla stretch" was a thing and justified with savings on gas and maintenance and saving the planet. Of course, they would have been better off just buying the stock if they believed in the mission so much ;) ,

HK111

First Name
Henrik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Corvette C7 Stingray, Mercedes V
Country flag
Hello, I think it is perfectly ok to have such a questionnaire. I was just a bit surprised that "under $250k" you have only one income bracket, that tells you something about the buyer's structure...

SFEVER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S, Hyundai Kona EV, Ducati SFV4S
Country flag
Apologies if you think this is inappropriate. I can delete if that’s what people feel. I’m just trying to do an anonymous survey. Nobody can see your answers.
How did your ordering of your T4S go? Did your dealer give you a delivery date yet?

OP
OP

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
It’s a little vague, but I think June.

Friedrich

First Name
Friedrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future: 2020 Porsche Taycan, 2022 Tesla Y; Current: Boxster S, Acura MDX; Past: 66 VW Beetle, 82 Porsche SC Targa, 91 Acura NSX, 98 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2002 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2004 Porsche Cayenne S
Country flag
Hello, I think it is perfectly ok to have such a questionnaire. I was just a bit surprised that "under $250k" you have only one income bracket, that tells you something about the buyer's structure...
This is obviously a personal question and in most countries, it is not appropriate to discuss income. Having said that, looking at the responses so far, it reflects the level of enthusiasm people can have for a car. Depending on where you live, 30 to 60% of income can be eaten up by income tax. So AFTER tax income for someone that makes say $200k, can leave some one with disposable income of only 90k to $140k. That means a Taycan could be one to two years of disposable income. WOW!! Gotta love the car!! In the USA, the average household income of a new car buyer is $81k, with the average car being $38k with car loans now going up 5, 6 and 7 years, so on the average, people buy a car that is less than half a years income.

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It’s pretty clear the taycan is driving new interest in Porsche. I think they said approx half the reservations were from people who didn’t own a Porsche.

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
This will be my first Porsche. I wanted my next car to be an EV and fell in love with the Mission E. Never thought I would be a Porsche owner. I didn’t want a Tesla as I see them everywhere. Nice cars and they blazed the trail, but I wanted something a little more refined. It was down to the Audi Etron GT and the Taycan - Taycan won since it will be available first. Price is up there with all of the options, but I think I can make it work.
Sponsored