Taycan charges to 100% despite profile

tnikolov

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Hi all,

This is the third time it has happened my Taycan to charge do 100% on my home three phase AC charger, despite I have a Home Profile which says no more than 80%. Here's a pic of my centre console display, which shows both, my Home Profile being active and 80% being the limit... and the current charge level.

Does this happen to anybody else?

Also, I've noticed this happens only if my car stays connected to the grid for more than a full day. The Porsche Taycan User Manual states its preferable to keep it connected at all times, if possible, however with the COVID-19 situation I don't leave the house much, hence the guys sits in the garage connected for days.

Porsche Taycan Taycan charges to 100% despite profile IMG_0143
Sponsored

Chuck J

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Silver Taycan 4S, 2012 991 911 (sold), 1995 993 (Gave to son) 1965 356 (gave to son)
Country flag
I think Don Louv @louv will tell you that 100% is okay because it's AC not fast moving DC. They have a 20% reserve at the top of the pack and one at the bottom.

Chuck J

OP
OP
tnikolov

tnikolov

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I think Don Louv will tell you that 100% is okay because it's AC not fast moving DC. They have a 20% reserve at the top of the pack and one at the bottom.

Chuck J
well the Porsche Taycan User Manual would disagree. It says no more than 85% for day to day charging.

Chuck J

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Silver Taycan 4S, 2012 991 911 (sold), 1995 993 (Gave to son) 1965 356 (gave to son)
Country flag
No but that is better. I had an electric bike and charged it to 100% and the batteries lasted 1/2 the time. It's a matter of cycles. I think they are guaranteed for 30,000 cycles and can do 60,000. They just don't want to be buying you a new battery or portion there-of. Better to do it that way.

Chuck J

OP
OP
tnikolov

tnikolov

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
No but that is better. I had an electric bike and charged it to 100% and the batteries lasted 1/2 the time. It's a matter of cycles. I think they are guaranteed for 30,000 cycles and can do 60,000. They just don't want to be buying you a new battery or portion there-of. Better to do it that way.

Chuck J
With a bike, I might be Ok with 20% degraded battery. For a Taycan, whose range is not big in the first place, that would be a problem at least for me.

Also, I am trying to use a built-in feature, which only seems to work from time to time. ‍♂

Chuck J

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It's definitely better that way if you don't need the range which you probably won't. You don't want to buy a battery at age 9. And trust me, you will be. Cycles are Cycles and they only guarantee it to 70% I think. I will be doing that as I keep my cars a long time. PS batteries are $50k for a full pack or you can buy modules.

Chuck J

Last edited:

Vertical

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, many other P-cars
Country flag
Hi all,

This is the third time it has happened my Taycan to charge do 100% on my home three phase AC charger, despite I have a Home Profile which says no more than 80%. Here's a pic of my centre console display, which shows both, my Home Profile being active and 80% being the limit... and the current charge level.

Does this happen to anybody else?

Also, I've noticed this happens only if my car stays connected to the grid for more than a full day. The Porsche Taycan User Manual states its preferable to keep it connected at all times, if possible, however with the COVID-19 situation I don't leave the house much, hence the guys sits in the garage connected for days.

IMG_0143.jpg
The only way I could find a way to set an upper limit was with a timer, not the profile. The profile looks like you can set some kind of lower limit (not sure what that does) but no upper limit. I'd like to be able to plug in whenever I get in the garage and have it charge to 85%. Right now I have to wait until the timer starts at midnight. If I need to drive again during the day I might not have enough charge after a longer trip in the AM. Thoughts?

Chuck J

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You're trying to follow instructions and be responsible, but my experience tells me you'll make your 8 year warranty just fine.

Chuck J

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
@tnikolov I agree with you, I would be a bit irritated with this bug. I hope it's on the @porsche list too. It seems easier to fix than the @louv 12v battery issue, though that one should be a Sev-1 and this a Sev-2 as it can impact customer battery life.

The manual clearly states in many places to not leave your Taycan at 100% for a long period as that's harder on Lithium Ion batteries. You should only charge to 100% shortly before the need.

I know petrol folks would say they don't worry about keeping their tank sit full. ;)

Chuck J

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
We've had Volts for 5 years (3+2) and kept them at 100 and have found no degredation. Volts use the same reserve approach as Porsche.

In any event they are covered by warranty fortunately and they are modular so parts can be replaced.

Chuck J

OP
OP
tnikolov

tnikolov

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
The only way I could find a way to set an upper limit was with a timer, not the profile. The profile looks like you can set some kind of lower limit (not sure what that does) but no upper limit. I'd like to be able to plug in whenever I get in the garage and have it charge to 85%. Right now I have to wait until the timer starts at midnight. If I need to drive again during the day I might not have enough charge after a longer trip in the AM. Thoughts?
I think I figured it out, not sure 100% yet, but here's how my setup was and what I did to fix this:

1) I don't think timers work. At least mine don't. My car always charges when I plug it in, not when the timer or profile says. So I disabled them all and not use them.

2) I have two profiles - Home and Work. Both limit charging to 80%. Main difference is preconditioning time. Home is set to pre-condition every single day, at 8:10AM. Work was set to pre-condition only Mon-Fri at 3:10PM.

3) Now based on the above and my observations, my Taycan would charge to 100% despite profile, if being connected to the wall, @home, on a weekend. So what I did was I went and edited my Work profile, to pre-condition the vehicle at 3:10PM on weekends too, although I don't really need it. But.. it solved the problem. It doesn't charge do 100% anymore, it stays at 80%.

Pretty stupid, if you ask me...

Chuck J

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Wow. Ingenious. Great work!

Chuck J

Vertical

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, many other P-cars
Country flag
I think I figured it out, not sure 100% yet, but here's how my setup was and what I did to fix this:

1) I don't think timers work. At least mine don't. My car always charges when I plug it in, not when the timer or profile says. So I disabled them all and not use them.

2) I have two profiles - Home and Work. Both limit charging to 80%. Main difference is preconditioning time. Home is set to pre-condition every single day, at 8:10AM. Work was set to pre-condition only Mon-Fri at 3:10PM.

3) Now based on the above and my observations, my Taycan would charge to 100% despite profile, if being connected to the wall, @home, on a weekend. So what I did was I went and edited my Work profile, to pre-condition the vehicle at 3:10PM on weekends too, although I don't really need it. But.. it solved the problem. It doesn't charge do 100% anymore, it stays at 80%.

Pretty stupid, if you ask me...
How were you able to set the maximum limit via a profile? All I see is an option to set "minimum state of charge".
Porsche Taycan Taycan charges to 100% despite profile Profile.JPG

My timer also only added 10% last night instead of topping up to the set 85% so I tend to agree with you that timers aren't quite working yet.

OP
OP
tnikolov

tnikolov

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
How were you able to set the maximum limit via a profile? All I see is an option to set "minimum state of charge".

My timer also only added 10% last night instead of topping up to the set 85% so I tend to agree with you that timers aren't quite working yet.
I set "Minimum state of charge" to 80%. I think what Porsche means here is "Maximum SOC" but...

Also I disable optimised charging and choose Preferred charging times and chose 00am-06am, although as stated above - the Taycan simply does not obey that command. But nevertheless, Optimised charging is disabled. I also have a home address set, so this profile only works at home. Hope that helps..

Chuck J

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Very interesting. :)

Chuck J
Sponsored