Vertical

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, many other P-cars
Country flag
I set "Minimum state of charge" to 80%. I think what Porsche means here is "Maximum SOC" but...

Also I disable optimised charging and choose Preferred charging times and chose 00am-06am, although as stated above - the Taycan simply does not obey that command. But nevertheless, Optimised charging is disabled. I also have a home address set, so this profile only works at home. Hope that helps..
I'll give that a go and report back. I thought minimum SOC would mean it wouldn't even start charging unless it hit that low threshold. Semantics. I currently disabled all profiles and timers and have to monitor charge level and run out to the garage and unplug - not feasible in normal times but giving me something to do for now.

UPDATE: It does appear minimum SOC is actually the maximum charge level. With the profile active it did stop charging at 82% - close enough to the 85 I had it set at? but at least it stopped. For now I'm going to forget the timers and try sticking with the profile and leaving the car plugged in as much as possible. I'm heading in Friday for at least 4 "updates" so we'll see if any impact the charging situation. We knew we were signing up to be early adopters, all part of the fun.
Sponsored

Last edited:

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
No.

In Porsche-Speak:
Minimum means Minimum.
Target means Maximum.

A Profile has a minimum. If you plug in, and your SoC is below the minimum, charging will begin, regardless of your “preferred charging hours” and charge until Minimum SoC is reached.

A Timer has a Target (maximum). Set up a daily Timer, just to charge, with “departure” when you want charging to be completed. It won’t start until it needs to. That is, if your car will require 2 hours of charging to get to your target at 5am, it won’t start charging until 3am.

Setting “Direct Charging” to on turns off all profiles and timers, and just charges until power is removed.

None of the above matters if you are DC Charging. This all only applies for AC (Level 2) charging

OP
OP
tnikolov

tnikolov

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
No.

In Porsche-Speak:
Minimum means Minimum.
Target means Maximum.

A Profile has a minimum. If you plug in, and your SoC is below the minimum, charging will begin, regardless of your “preferred charging hours” and charge until Minimum SoC is reached.

A Timer has a Target (maximum). Set up a daily Timer, just to charge, with “departure” when you want charging to be completed. It won’t start until it needs to. That is, if your car will require 2 hours of charging to get to your target at 5am, it won’t start charging until 3am.

Setting “Direct Charging” to on turns off all profiles and timers, and just charges until power is removed.

None of the above matters if you are DC Charging. This all only applies for AC (Level 2) charging
OK this actually makes a lot of sense. Thanks @louv! Set those as per your comment to:

Minimum SOC @home profile: 60%
Timer charged for 8:10am daily to 80% with preferred charging between 00 and 06am.
Pre-cool/heat for afternoon drive without charging at 3pm.

Let's see if it will work (fingers crossed) :)

Porsche Taycan Taycan charges to 100% despite profile Screenshot 2020-04-23 at 8.58.58

Last edited:

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
What @louv said. Minimum is minimum, set a timer with a max, or do what I do. Disable direct charging, set the minimum to what you want, then change to direct charging or activate a timer with the upper limit when you want it.

I am using the home profile minimum charging to keep the battery at 40% while I am gone. No direct charging, no timers.

Vertical

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, many other P-cars
Country flag
No.

In Porsche-Speak:
Minimum means Minimum.
Target means Maximum.

Thanks. That lines up with my experience now as well. For me I don't think I need timers and will just plug in anytime I'm in the garage to top me off at 85%. If I need to go on a long trip I'll direct charge up to 100% right before I leave.

MN_taycan

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 Audi S7, 1972 Datsun 240Z
Country flag
This is the third time it has happened my Taycan to charge do 100% on my home three phase AC charger, despite I have a Home Profile which says no more than 80%. Here's a pic of my centre console display, which shows both, my Home Profile being active and 80% being the limit... and the current charge level.
In my experience so far... profiles are useless. I've deleted them, and gone to a single timer...which has the car charge to 85% by the time I'd like it to be ready in the morning. So it backs up that time and starts however long before that needed to get to 85%. With profiles, it always charged to 100% once it got within the profile time.

If I need it to "just charge" ... I hit direct charging and away it goes to 100% (or whenever I stop it). Not the most sophisticated arrangement, but works reliably.

Snowbird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 turbo — Taycan turbo S
Country flag
In my experience so far... profiles are useless. I've deleted them, and gone to a single timer...which has the car charge to 85% by the time I'd like it to be ready in the morning. So it backs up that time and starts however long before that needed to get to 85%. With profiles, it always charged to 100% once it got within the profile time.

If I need it to "just charge" ... I hit direct charging and away it goes to 100% (or whenever I stop it). Not the most sophisticated arrangement, but works reliably.
I will translate

Porsche Taycan Taycan charges to 100% despite profile 875C73FE-E6EA-44A8-8BE2-F45904B98ADE

Porsche Taycan Taycan charges to 100% despite profile 8A8AC271-0CC5-4BE9-A434-C9317A2D096E

JC Mann

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayman S, Tesla Model S
Country flag
The only way I could find a way to set an upper limit was with a timer, not the profile. The profile looks like you can set some kind of lower limit (not sure what that does) but no upper limit. I'd like to be able to plug in whenever I get in the garage and have it charge to 85%. Right now I have to wait until the timer starts at midnight. If I need to drive again during the day I might not have enough charge after a longer trip in the AM. Thoughts?
In your case, the “lower limit” would be 85%. You’re telling it to charge u til it hits a lower limit of 85%. Sounds backwards, but that’s the way it’s set to work. Try it.

Chuck J

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Silver Taycan 4S, 2012 991 911 (sold), 1995 993 (Gave to son) 1965 356 (gave to son)
Country flag
As strange as the first calculators: remember the Bomar brain. What wa it called, Reverse Polish notation?

Chuck J

BoltsFan

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan - On order
Country flag
So I read this whole thread and watched a youtube video on Profiles and Timers. Important to point out that I do not have my Tycan yet (on order) so I can't try anything out. Just trying to learn ahead of time. I want to be able to plug my car in when I get home, have it get to a minimum SOC of 40% as quickly as it can (in case I need it later in the day). I then want it to go to the recommended 85% during the night. It sounds like I can use the general profile (or a location based profile set to my house) and set the "Minimum Charge" setting to 40%. From what I see, a profile can only set a minimum and thus I have to then set a timer to have the car charged to 85% by using the "Target" set to 85%. Is that correct? If so, it sounds like the Timer "trumps" the profile meaning that without the timer, the profile will go to 100%. Is that correct? In the profile do I set it to "Optimized Charging" or "Set preferred charging times" or is it irrelevant if I have the timer set? Seems to me it would have been easier to put a "Target" setting in the profile since it already has a "preferred charging times" option. Then you wouldn't have to use a timer unless you wanted more sophisticated time-based options.

Last edited:

taycantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model X, 2020 Taycan 4S+
Country flag
So I read this whole thread and watch a youtube video on Profiles and Timers. Important to point out that I do not have my Tycan yet (on order) so I can't try anything out. Just trying to learn ahead of time. I want to be able to plug my car in when I get home, have it get to a minimum SOC of 40% as quickly as it can (in case I need it later in the day). I then want it to go to the recommended 85% during the night. It sounds like I can use the general profile (or a location based profile set to my house) and set the "Minimum Charge" setting to 40%. From what I see, a profile can only set a minimum and thus I have to then set a timer to have the car charged to 85% by using the "Target" set to 85%. Is that correct? If so, it sounds like the Timer "trumps" the profile meaning that without the time, the profile will go to 100%. Is that correct? In the profile do I set it to "Optimized Charging" or "Set preferred charging times" or is it irrelevant if I have the timer set? Seems to me it would have been easier to put a "Target" setting in the profile since it already has a "preferred charging times" option. Then you wouldn't have to use a timer unless you wanted more sophisticated time-based options.
Profile and Timer give you two parts that come together in the way you have proposed.

1. Set a Profile to have a Minimum of 40%. Enable this by ‘checking’ it.
2. Set a Timer with a Target of 85% and the time you want that target to be reached. Enable this too by ‘checking’ it.

When you charge, just make sure that these are the ones enabled and you should get what you want.

The entire charging interface could have been done a lot better. Tesla’s interface is easier and more intuitive In comparison.

Pjjameso

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Hi all,

This is the third time it has happened my Taycan to charge do 100% on my home three phase AC charger, despite I have a Home Profile which says no more than 80%. Here's a pic of my centre console display, which shows both, my Home Profile being active and 80% being the limit... and the current charge level.

Does this happen to anybody else?

Also, I've noticed this happens only if my car stays connected to the grid for more than a full day. The Porsche Taycan User Manual states its preferable to keep it connected at all times, if possible, however with the COVID-19 situation I don't leave the house much, hence the guys sits in the garage connected for days.

IMG_0143.jpg
Happened to me twice, check the app to make sure direct charging is not on. I think, but have not verified yet, that was my issue.

NormF

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, 911 Targa 4S, MachE
Country flag
Yes, I have seen my car charge to 100% with a profile set to 85%. The profile in question has a timer to charge between midnight and 7am. A different 85% profile with no timer works fine. So it appears that the glitch might be caused by the timer. I need to investigate further.

Jayjay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S, Audi Q7 50, BMW 330 cabrio
Country flag
Just found this video - i think it helps to understand how to do it

Sponsored