Snl51200

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan
Country flag
So, I've had my Taycan for 3 months. I set my Charging profile to charge to 85%. I charge my car every 3-4 days as I do not put many miles on my vehicles. Today I went out to use the car, and noticed that the car charged to 90%. This has never happened before. Any similar experiences?
Sponsored

SpicewoodT

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I did notice that after allowing my SOC to run down below 40% that the next time I charged it stopped at 88% instead of 85% - which is also what my charging profile is set to. I charged again yesterday after returning from the dealership for the AMB5 update and this time it charged to 85%. I'll keep an eye on it.

TYKHAAAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Ram 2500, Kia EV9
Yes, just last night. My profile is set for 85% and for some reason, it stopped at 82%. It has never done that in 6/7 months of charging. I unplugged and plugged it back in and it got the last 3% and stopped at 85.

Dslev

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I charge every few days, sometimes daily, but usually needs 15% or less to get to 85% charge. My profile is set to 85%, but it consistently stops at 84%. Not a big deal and maybe there is a reason for it, but I'm not concerned so not going to invest the time to research it. I would be a bit more concerned, like some of you, if it is charging more than 85%, since Porsche says the 85% is the optimal mark for battery longevity. I have told my dealer about it, and if it is a widely known issue, I'm sure eventually there will be an update to correct it.

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
Most of these small percentage changes are likely caused by temperature fluctuations. Remember that the BMS is estimating where 85% is based on voltages and other data. It’s very challenging to estimate SOC solely based on cell voltages, so the BMS also tracks the kWh consumed, kWh charged, and the current CAC (calculated amp-hour capacity). Despite this, temperature changes can cause voltage fluctuations. Because of this, the car might stop charging at what it thought was 85%, but later estimates is 83% or 87%. Because you don’t want the car to frequently toggle charging, the variance in SOC has to change several percentage points before it will re-initiate charging, and profiles and timers may further delay it.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I did notice that after allowing my SOC to run down below 40% that the next time I charged it stopped at 88% instead of 85% - which is also what my charging profile is set to. I charged again yesterday after returning from the dealership for the AMB5 update and this time it charged to 85%. I'll keep an eye on it.
Need to set a timer (departure) as well to ensure limit isn't exceeded even though you don't plan to use the car.

We'll documented on this forum.

SpicewoodT

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Need to set a timer (departure) as well to ensure limit isn't exceeded even though you don't plan to use the car.

We'll documented on this forum.
I'm fairly certain the departure timer is set, but that's a good thought and I'll confirm that.
Sponsored