Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
This is mostly referring to the use of Profiles and Timers.

I’ve seen a couple of recent questions so I thought I’d post a summary of what the car will charge to in all scenarios.

I think a majority of the confusion comes from wanting to just set a maximum on the car, but there’s no way to do that.

To the best of my knowledge, this is accurate as of Sept 2021.

If more than one condition is true, the car will charge to the higher value.

If…Car Will Charge To:
  • There are no active timers* or profiles
  • Or there is an active profile and the current time is within the preferred charging time and there is no active timer*
  • Or direct charging is active
100%
  • There is an active profile
Profile Minimum
  • There is an active timer* and the car is within the window to require charging to meet the target charge at the departure time or the time is within the window of an active profile with preferred times
Timer Target Charge
  • SoC is less than 25%
25%

*Non-repeating timers are inactive 30 minutes after the departure time.
Sponsored

Last edited:

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Next we should follow this up with use cases. For example, in my case I have a time of use rate plan so I want the car to charge during off-peak hours, which are weekends and specific hours during the week. So I should set preferred charging times in my profile right? I've found that's not the best solution. The best solution is to set two timers, one for weekdays, with my target charge and a departure time the same as the end of off-peak hours, and one for weekends at whatever time I wake up. I deactivate the general charging profile, which is set to 85% and optimized charging (used when charging elsewhere at level 2 chargers).

OP
OP
Jhenson29

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Next we should follow this up with use cases.
I want to charge to 85% whenever I plug in. I don’t care what time it is.

General Profile
85% Minimum
Optimized Charging

Porsche Taycan Taycan Charging Quick Reference [Profiles and Timers] 678B861C-2B5C-4DE2-B064-72CBEF58FA87

I’m basic. ?

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
You forgot:

If:
"car or charger is in that mood"

Car will charge to:
"who knows, usually not at all"

I have not figure it it out despite hours troubleshooting.
I think it's mostly the charger.

ukleinschmidt

First Name
Uwe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
I have solar and want the car to be fully charged during the day. I created the attached profile.
the moment I plug in the charger it starts charging no matter what time of day. It seems to ignore the profile. What am I doing wrong? Thank you in advance
Porsche Taycan Taycan Charging Quick Reference [Profiles and Timers] 48563840-0D73-465F-A29D-A02014FCDCAA

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
I want to charge to 85% whenever I plug in. I don’t care what time it is.
I have a Juicebox 40 which allows me to set the charging to start at midnight (I have been doing this for about 5 years now). While I don't have my Taycan yet, what kind of profile should I set to use the Juicebox timer and not the Taycan timer but still only go to 85%?

In my car, I set the charge limit to 85%. The Juicebox stops when the car tells it to stop sending power so I need the car to keep track of the charging limit.

OP
OP
Jhenson29

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It seems to ignore the profile. What am I doing wrong?
It charges to your profile min immediately. It charges to 100% during your preferred time. You need to set your min to 25%.

ukleinschmidt

First Name
Uwe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
What is the trigger then to charge it full?
Thank you in advance!

ukleinschmidt

First Name
Uwe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
The preferred charge times.
Mine has been paused since I modified the minimum charge. It is not full and I have been in the preferred time window for 5 hours now. I would assume it charges full at the earliest during the time window. Not so. Thank you for your help.

actually clicking on pause tells me it is paused because of a programmed departure time. I never programmed any. More research needed. Not for 6 year old that is for sure

OP
OP
Jhenson29

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Mine has been paused since I modified the minimum charge. It is not full and I have been in the preferred time window for 5 hours now. I would assume it charges full at the earliest during the time window. Not so. Thank you for your help.

actually clicking on pause tells me it is paused because of a programmed departure time. I never programmed any. More research needed. Not for 6 year old that is for sure
I don’t normally use the preferred charge times, but I did test everything to confirm my understanding of the manual.

During my testing, the car charged to the minimum and then waited until the preferred time to continue charging.

Maybe post more pics? That usually helps more because I can see what’s actually happening. ?

OP
OP
Jhenson29

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have a Juicebox 40 which allows me to set the charging to start at midnight (I have been doing this for about 5 years now). While I don't have my Taycan yet, what kind of profile should I set to use the Juicebox timer and not the Taycan timer but still only go to 85%?

In my car, I set the charge limit to 85%. The Juicebox stops when the car tells it to stop sending power so I need the car to keep track of the charging limit.
I would assume you would set the car the same as mine. 85% min and optimized charging. But, I don’t have an EVSE like yours to create a schedule on and test. I’m not sure what the EVSE does when it’s plugged in and it’s not time to charge. I assume it behaves the same as not being plugged in, but I don’t know.

Maybe someone using a similar setup can comment?

I believe I’ve seen people (maybe @daveo4EV) comment before that the Taycan can have issues with “smart” EVSEs, so maybe it will not work as expected.

In the absence of additional information, my above suggestion would be my starting point and then I’d go from there.

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
smart EVSE’s confuse smart cars like the Taycan - at least in North America - the Taycan will become confused if the EVSE drops offline and won’t know to wake up later and start charging - all in all having a smart EVSE and a smart car leads to a lot of debugging as to why your car didn’t charge last night…

I’m not saying it can’t be made to work - I’m saying it’s more work than I’m willing to put in to figure everything out - I tend to prefer a ‘dumb’ EVSE - i.e. the power is always on and ready - and then work with the car to figure out how best to have the car do the right thing…but that’s simply my approach and my recommendation - everyone is welcome to pursue their own approach - but they need to be prepared to diagnose problems themselves - once you stray from a simple EVSE to complex EVSE the dealership and Porsche will be of little help and they will have _NO_ interest in helping you figure out what is going wrong - they can barely handle the Taycan working with their own EVSE…

the Taycan can be thrown off by EVSE’s that have variable charge rates because the Taycan attempt to accomplish “just in time” - departure time - charging - in order to do that it has to estimate the total time rquired to charge and it can only do that if the charge rate is static - if the charge rate is varible - the car will miscalculate the charging time because it only starts to charge when it thinks it needs to, in order to meet the depature time - well if the charge rate is variable - that will confuse Porsche’s software and again you will have to spend time figuring out why the car didn’t charge overnight…

simple EVSE’s are best in my opinion - anything else works against the car’s built in software.

If you’re using a smart EVSE - I recommend “direct charge” setting for your Taycan - since that seems to disable all it’s smarts and simply charges when there is power - however I’ve not yet figure out how to limit direct charge to some % of full battery…so that’s a huge downside.

Porsche’s charging software needs to be better, but I’m not holding my breath for that to happen anytime soon…

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
you would set the car the same as mine. 85% min and optimized charging.
Can you help me understand “85% min”? If I want to charge to 85% maximum, why do they call it “minimum”?

I can understand the “immediately charge to a minimum level” to help preserve battery health (you don’t want to keep a battery with low state of charge low for an extended period of time). So “charge immediately to 25%” makes sense.

But “85% min”?
Sponsored