daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Thanks for this information. I think I need to contact my service department and find out why I am only getting 70kw.
I'll buy you lunch if two things happen:
  1. your dealer can diagnose this
  2. there is an actual fault with your vehicle that requires service
charging speed at any given time may not be optimal - until you've had this happen like 20 times at several different sites/stalls/time-of-day/temperature - it's 99% likely it's not a fault with your vehicle - it _IS_ 99% likely it has nothing to do with your car - EA sucks and doesn't always charge at full speed -sometime it' cause they suck and other times it because battery temp and SOC is not correct.

lot of variable, none of them under your control, and none of it shown to you in car or on the charging screen as to why you are getting a given charge rate - there's a reason, but it mostly is not because of your vehicle.
Sponsored

OP
OP
JasonC

JasonC

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have experienced slower than other EVs at multiple EA locations and have tried to change stalls without much difference. I think I should first make sure my battery is at the optimum charging temp by using the navigation system to get to the EA locations, so it starts working on the battery temperature as I get closer. I was told I should do this, but I would have thought during the 30 minute charging time, the battery would have got to a better temp and the charging would speed up. It doesn't. It just stays around 70kw. I will try precooling the battery and also changing stalls. If that doesn't help, I'll contact my service department.

OP
OP
JasonC

JasonC

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I'll buy you lunch if two things happen:
  1. your dealer can diagnose this
  2. there is an actual fault with your vehicle that requires service
charging speed at any given time may not be optimal - until you've had this happen like 20 times at several different sites/stalls/time-of-day/temperature - it's 99% likely it's not a fault with your vehicle - it _IS_ 99% likely it has nothing to do with your car - EA sucks and doesn't always charge at full speed -sometime it' cause they suck and other times it because battery temp and SOC is not correct.

lot of variable, none of them under your control, and none of it shown to you in car or on the charging screen as to why you are getting a given charge rate - there's a reason, but it mostly is not because of your vehicle.
if it is EA, why are the other EVs charging at sometimes double the speed? Yesterday it was a BMW that was also on a couple of years free plan, and he was at 120kw when I was at 68kw. I will keep experimenting. Thanks

tutis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
I've seen posts about not being able to charge at 350kw, but when I go to Electrify America and am charging on a 150, coming in at 20% battery, it is only charging at 68-70 through the charge. Meanwhile, the other brands of EVs around me are charging at 120. Is this a settings problem or a software update needed (tired that)? Any advice would be appreciated.
one question which nobody asked so far... did your PCM have a fast charger set as a destination? If not, then the battery wouldn't have been pre-conditioned to the right temperature, and hence no fast charging

OP
OP
JasonC

JasonC

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
one question which nobody asked so far... did your PCM have a fast charger set as a destination? If not, then the battery wouldn't have been pre-conditioned to the right temperature, and hence no fast charging
It was not. I do need to make sure I do that in the future. I had just driven 50 miles, so battery temp would not have been optimal.

AnloTaycan2022

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo 4S
Country flag
Make sure you put the EA charger as a destination in the car PCM as it allows the car to prepare and optimize the fast charging. That is quite important to have the most of the charging experience.

xyeahtony

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Integra 6MT, 23 CT4S
Country flag
I've seen posts about not being able to charge at 350kw, but when I go to Electrify America and am charging on a 150, coming in at 20% battery, it is only charging at 68-70 through the charge. Meanwhile, the other brands of EVs around me are charging at 120. Is this a settings problem or a software update needed (tired that)? Any advice would be appreciated.
Taycan tops at 270kw. This is only in the most ideal circumstance (Usually a more reliable EVGo charger, preconditioned battery, and approx 5-10% SOC. Sometimes however, there can be grid strain at full stations and not everyone will see top speeds.

Do you have the 150kW option on your Taycan? it should have cost approximately $500
This has nothing to do with it. All Electrify America Chargers are 800V so the Taycan can charge theoretically at max speed at any of them

It was not. I do need to make sure I do that in the future. I had just driven 50 miles, so battery temp would not have been optimal.
Yes. Battery needs to be preconditioned for the best speeds, ideally between 86-95 degrees F. That is a likely explanation for part of your charging issues. Try other stations.

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo, Eletre R (on order)
Country flag
there are 12 supercharger sites with CCS support in the USA right now - 2 in Calfiornia and 10 in New York State - more should be coming but no announced schedule.
Similar to the UK - they started with 15 sites opening almost a year ago now and as of last week there are now 22 sites open.

The first UK V4 site has recently landed with the local authority for planning approval in Stranraer in Scotland

Deleted member 6348

You need to navigate to the charger directly using the PCM navigation. You should search on Electrify America and the town name, or by the EA station name. Do not use the Google search mode.

When you do this, you’ll note that the temperature of the battery will ramp up, ahead of your arrival to the station, much more so than driving alone.

That’s the trick. It’s not a problem with every EA charger. It’s the reality that the battery pre-conditioning behavior is poorly understood by most owners.

OP
OP
JasonC

JasonC

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
You need to navigate to the charger directly using the PCM navigation. You should search on Electrify America and the town name, or by the EA station name. Do not use the Google search mode.

When you do this, you’ll note that the temperature of the battery will ramp up, ahead of your arrival to the station, much more so than driving alone.

That’s the trick. It’s not a problem with every EA charger. It’s the reality that the battery pre-conditioning behavior is poorly understood by most owners.
Thanks you. I haven't been good about doing this, so let's see if this solves my issues.

jimithing

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Macan Turbo, 2014 Panamera GTS
Country flag
Thanks you. I haven't been good about doing this, so let's see if this solves my issues.
I've had pretty good luck with EA chargers on the I-95 corridor. Occasionally crap speeds like you describe. If you want to be sure nothing's wrong with your car, follow the above advice & use the charging station search and program it as your destination (so it knows you're going to charge - don't just plug in the address). You can also do it through the app now (middle selection with the charger icon within the map tab).

Ideally go in with a low SoC and a hot battery to a 350kW charger. Even if they don't give me the full beans, they've never given me less than 150kW. If you're not sure about whether it's preconditioning, just hoon it on the way there to make sure the battery is warm. 🤣

Bill33525

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘24 Q8 ETron 55 SUV, '22 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Check this setting: Battery Saving slows the charging speed to increase battery life.
Check PnC feature as well.

Porsche Taycan Taycan charging slower than other EVs 1683339451396

Another problem that can happen at EA stations lately is some dispensers are running at reduced power/speed.
Try navigating to a high speed charger next time.

OP
OP
JasonC

JasonC

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Check this setting: Battery Saving slows the charging speed to increase battery life.
Check PnC feature as well.

1683339451396.png

Another problem that can happen at EA stations lately is some dispensers are running at reduced power/speed.
Try navigating to a high speed charger next time.
That's a great thought! Wish it had of been this, as it would be a quick fix. I looked and this was not turned on :-(

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo, Eletre R (on order)
Country flag
That's a great thought! Wish it had of been this, as it would be a quick fix. I looked and this was not turned on :-(
That option would’ve capped the peak at 200 kW, so it wouldn’t have been that either.

This Bjorn video explains the Battery-saving fast charging option well…

Sponsored