tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
That did indeed solve the issue! list-vehicles responded with my type & vin#, however when i run show-summary or show-capabilities (giving the vin provided as the third argument) it responds with Error: AuthFailure
Okay, thx. That probably is a symptom of me not giving the library enough attention and Porsche changing some of their APIs since I last looked at them. On the list.
Sponsored

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Hey @tigerbalm - a bit off topic - I know I asked this elsewhere perhaps somewhat flippantly :), but based on your expertise in this area do you think that getting the NightVision Assist video feed to display on the Passenger Screen might be a software only customization or would it be a far bigger linked hardware-software alteration to achieve?

I have no idea if the OEM comms/media controller could effectively route the video feed to the Passenger screen with the as-is factory hardware-software setup.

Just a pet peeve of mine that I think Porsche should have included as a very cool option to display on the Passenger screen - would be a great feature especially if it utilized the full screen - suspect it would be a much more difficult task and I'll just be dreaming on :)

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
I have both of these options too – Passenger Display and Night Vision Assist. In fact, I had not included Night Vision back into my on-order Turbos S – because – I didn't use it that much – and that was partly due to it being on the instrument cluster only.

However – and I know you're Irish so you'll get the location reference – I was recently driving between Killarney and Kenmare in County Kerry (at night) and a deer jumped out in front of me.

The Night Vision Assist kicked in automatically and the car auto braked aggressively (and appropriately). The next day the Night Vision Assist option went back in to my new spec!

So in one way – I suppose my learning is that it: a] really works and b] its more of a passive assistant – working in the background than showing you a visual display. And I kinda like it that way. Well, it saved my bacon, anyways!

In terms of your question – I really am not sure. What I do know is that the instrument cluster screen behind the wheel – is run by its own dedicated computer and it is much more regulated than the PCM or Passenger Display – for obvious reasons. Almost any glitches on that screen would trigger safety recalls.

So Porsche would be very conservative with the codebase of that screen. Things like Night Vision Assist and even Maps are all optional and introduce risk. If I was engineering the instrument cluster – I wouldn't process maps or night vision in that code base. The data flowing in for those screens is way too variable and environmentally sensitive.

So it wouldn't surprise me if the maps & night vision displays on the instrument cluster are being generated by the PCM and what you're seeing is just a dumb projection on the instrument cluster. This is why you sometimes see people complain that the maps in the instrument cluster won't start but the rest of the instrument panel is fine.

If my hunch is true, then the Night Vision assist data is floating around the PCM and could – in theory – be tapped into.

However, to do that – you'd need to get a PCM computer onto a lab desk – up and running and do a lot of probing around. To the best of my knowledge nobody has done that yet.

For sure, what you'd like is a non-trivial thing – and in reality – will only happen if Porsche decrees it so. But I do believe it is possible.

Last edited:

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Do get the ref and and yes, believe it or not I too have experienced deer in West Texas being picked up by NVA - very effective indeed!

Interesting thought re the data management of the NVA output - in my simplistic logic I'd see having a passenger reviewing NVA output on the passenger screen, albeit passively, would not hurt i.e. an extra set of eyes, but in reality perhaps just more of an 'eye candy' feature given the car's response timing being of course far superior. Albeit not a SW Engineer, I can certainly appreciate the complexities involved in a 3rd party solution, and agree, likely will not happen unless implemented within Porsche. Thx for the insight.

blulite

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
A Home Assistant integration sounds interesting :) Do you have a specific use case in mind?
I'm currently working on a Home Assistant integration for Porsche Connect, perhaps that could be an option, i will support charge controls.
Use case: If the outside temperature is cold, and I have something on my calendar, preheat the car 30 minutes before the meeting.

cjne

First Name
Johan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S 2021, Tesla Model S P100D 2019
Country flag
Use case: If the outside temperature is cold, and I have something on my calendar, preheat the car 30 minutes before the meeting.
That should be possible to do using some clever calendar automation and the Porshe Connect integration, it's pretty basic at the moment but it supports turning on the heater among other things:
https://github.com/CJNE/ha-porscheconnect

rs38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan,gt2,i8
Country flag
A general question:
when I look across nearly all self-made car API clients in github, no matter which car brand, I see the auth flows always self made like postman scripts.
I did the same with .NET for the BMW connectDrive stuff years ago, and it always was a pita when they changed some minor API details.

Did anyone consider using a well maintained OpenID client library and make use of all the standards like discovery?
https://login.porsche.com/.well-known/openid-configuration
https://id.mercedes-benz.com/.well-known/openid-configuration
https://identity.vwgroup.io/.well-known/openid-configuration
something changed in the last weeks btw:
https://identity.porsche.com/.well-known/openid-configuration

see also
https://github.com/CJNE/pyporscheconnectapi/issues/24

rs38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan,gt2,i8
Country flag

snoopy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CS 4S
Country flag
Anyone has Alexa skill code for lambda that can be shared?
Sponsored