Adam911

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW iX, XM, B8, M3
Country flag
Hi all. Merry Christmas. I am brand new to this forum, but not to Porsche. We had a 2020 Carrera White Metallic Turbo Taycan and a 2022 Volcano Metallic Taycan GTS (past Porsches were a Seal Gray 2006 4S cab, GT Silver 2008 Turbo cab and a silver 2016 911S).

I am negotiating on a new 2024 Taycan...incentives and discounts are beyond insane ($18-22k off msrp).

My worry is the Porsche app overall reliability. I love electric for many reasons, but #1 to me is the ability to pre-cool and pre-warm the cabin before driving. I do not have a thyroid (sucks!, lol) and I cannot regulate body temp like most can. Being able to not shiver or sweat to death before driving means everything to me.

Our 20 & 22 Taycan pre-climate app would work maybe 50/50. My '22 e-tron would NOT work 99% of the time. But...our BMW iX and i4 pre-climate app works 99% of the time :) We are always amazed how well the BMW app works and there is usually 1-2 app updates each month and BMW keeps improving and adding features and "fun" things.

Has VAG improved the Porsche app performance and reliability for 2023 and 2024?

I love the look, feel and drive of the Taycan....but if the app is like our 2020 Taycan, 2022 Taycan and 2022 e-tron....the ownership experience for me would be decimated.

And does anyone know how much different the 2025 Taycan will be? The 2024 model looks awesome, but retained value would tank even more than it has, if the 2025 is substantially different.

Thanks so much!
Sponsored

gtm

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'73 Lotus, '23 GTS
Country flag
Hi all. Merry Christmas. I am brand new to this forum, but not to Porsche. We had a 2020 Carrera White Metallic Turbo Taycan and a 2022 Volcano Metallic Taycan GTS (past Porsches were a Seal Gray 2006 4S cab, GT Silver 2008 Turbo cab and a silver 2016 911S).

I am negotiating on a new 2024 Taycan...incentives and discounts are beyond insane ($18-22k off msrp).

My worry is the Porsche app overall reliability. I love electric for many reasons, but #1 to me is the ability to pre-cool and pre-warm the cabin before driving. I do not have a thyroid (sucks!, lol) and I cannot regulate body temp like most can. Being able to not shiver or sweat to death before driving means everything to me.

Our 20 & 22 Taycan pre-climate app would work maybe 50/50. My '22 e-tron would NOT work 99% of the time. But...our BMW iX and i4 pre-climate app works 99% of the time :) We are always amazed how well the BMW app works and there is usually 1-2 app updates each month and BMW keeps improving and adding features and "fun" things.

I love the look, feel and drive of the Taycan....but if the app is like our 2020 Taycan, 2022 Taycan and 2022 e-tron....the ownership experience for me would be decimated.

And does anyone know how much different the 2025 Taycan will be? The 2024 model looks awesome, but retained value would tank even more than it has, if the 2025 is substantially different.

Thanks so much!
My experience with the app only goes back one year. Not much has changed feature wise except a little more functionality with Apple Car Play. Porsche will not let the car connect to your house WiFi. If your cell signal in the garage is intermittent or non-existent (mine is) you will never reliably connect the app to the car. No instruction via the app will reach the car.

Get out your Magic 8 Ball and ask it about the refresh. It's got as much insight as anyone short of the factory.

featherless

Threads
Reaction score
Website
electricsidecar.app
Vehicles
Volcano Gray Taycan 2022
Country flag
The main thing to watch out for with the Taycan is less the app and more the fact that the car's heater has been failing en-masse across the fleet for the past couple of years (some people experiencing repeated failures even after repairs). Lots of threads tracking this, a summary is here: https://github.com/ElectricSidecar/Porsche-Taycan/issues

Before driving the Taycan off the lot, make sure the in-car heater works!

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
FWIW, the “preheat with remote unlocking” is possibly the most annoying feature on my (MY23) car - because of its reliability. If you keep your car locked in the garage, simply unlocking it remotely may solve your problem faster and better than a 100% reliable app would.

(The reason I find it annoying is that after a drive, it does _the same_ upon opening any other door (say, to get something from the rear seat), wasting energy _and_ sending me a useless notification when done. I tend to disable it when I travel where I would expect to lock and unlock the car frequently.)

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag

Thanks so much!
MY24 is no different in terms of looks tech or spec.

MY25 will see a larger battery and some cosmetic changes - potentially less reliance on touch controls for AC etc.

My MY23 GTS ST has been 100% perfect and reliable - preheat / cool works just fine. I had a MY21 4S for 2.5 years from new it was plagued with problems.

andix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
991.1 S, Taycan Turbo (4/21), others
Country flag
Not sure what you mean by "climate App".

The my Porsche app experiences severe problems since its migration to Azure, Porsche Germany said. They're working on it…

bigkraig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo Turbo S, GT3
Country flag
My experience with the app only goes back one year. Not much has changed feature wise except a little more functionality with Apple Car Play. Porsche will not let the car connect to your house WiFi. If your cell signal in the garage is intermittent or non-existent (mine is) you will never reliably connect the app to the car. No instruction via the app will reach the car.

Get out your Magic 8 Ball and ask it about the refresh. It's got as much insight as anyone short of the factory.
verizon gave me a free network extender because we do not get a signal at our home

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Macan GTS, 23 Taycan Turbo, 20 Cayenne Turbo,
Country flag
As others said, reliable LTE connection is the key to be able to control your car remotely and Porsche servers must be working. They do not proactively tell you or the dealers when things are down or admit to them when I called them. I have not had any issues with the Porsche App, LTE connection, or remote control functions in the 6 months ownership in the Taycan.

However, some Porsche servers had issues for about 10 days (from Dec 1 to Dec 10 roughly) resulting in no LTE data to PCM 5 cars (Macan and Cayenne) so any services that depend on that were not working: Porsche ID login, Real Time Traffic, Weather, all Remote Functions. Then when the services were restored, I got a letter from Porsche Connect admitting to the issues and giving me a month worth of connect credits for each car. This was not fun as I had to spend time collecting evidence and submitting to them and then making appointments with the dealer to look into it.

I think we are all used to things just not working for a few days and then coming back. This 10 day stretch was the longest for me so far of LTE data totally down with no notification from PCNA.

Redhot2474

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
I live on 16th floor of a high rise , my car stays in a parking garage and I have no problem with warming my car or with app. It’s been 99% reliable

gtm

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'73 Lotus, '23 GTS
Country flag
verizon gave me a free network extender because we do not get a signal at our home
LTE/cell signal is the problem and won't be cured by a WiFi extender. I'm not sure what kind of extender would get you a LTE signal if you couldn't already get a signal. If it was in fact an extender/ amplifier for LTE I'd love to know the details. Forget the car, I can't even make a phone call without being connected to the house WiFi. No cell signal is kind of a running joke in my neighborhood.

Last edited:

bigkraig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo Turbo S, GT3
Country flag
LTE/cell signal is the problem and won't be cured by a WiFi extender. I'm not sure what kind of extender would get you a LTE signal if you couldn't already get a signal. If it was in fact an extender/ amplifier for LTE I'd love to know the details. Forget the car, I can't even make a phone call without being connected to the house WiFi. No cell signal is kind of a running joke in my neighborhood.
https://www.verizon.com/products/verizon-lte-network-extender/, they provided one to me for free - but i need to return it if i cancel my service. im sure at&t and others also have similar solutions. it creates a small cell site that reaches about a hundred or two feet from the unit.

gtm

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'73 Lotus, '23 GTS
Country flag