ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
EDIT 2 - UPDATED WITH FULL DETAILS - SEE POST #13

EDIT 1 - COMPATIBILITY CONFIRMED SEE IN THREAD

Has anyone actually purchased this supposed Taycan compatible compact spare and is it like my OEM BMW spare in that it can fit either front or rear (using supplied spacers etc) to get you safely to a dealer/service center?

IMO I'd have zero issue paying for it if this thing works however I do not see in the related diagrams any spacers etc if needed to use for both front and rear applications i.e. might be front only? ALSO despite screenshot showing for 19", 20, 21" there is just a 19" by the wheel pic... ?

Currently waiting on response from my dealership and others re applicability.

HOWEVER - despite listed in the page title and listed as fitting the 2020 Taycan model lineup on their respective page descriptions, when you check to see it fits your model car via say Sunset's linked car checker it says it does not - brilliant!

Suncoast (have a query in to them pending) does not list this with the Taycan and suspect they are more accurate vs others here but again waiting to verify.

https://shop.porscheusa.com/2020-po...suspension-wheels-spare_wheel_971601017-item/

Porsche Taycan Taycan Compact Spare Tire options Screen Shot 2022-04-25 at 7.58.13 AM

Not at all familiar with this outfit but cheaper still:

https://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/oem-parts/porsche-spare-wheel-971601017
Sponsored

Last edited:

swhsv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Has anyone actually purchased this supposed Taycan compatible compact spare and is it like my OEM BMW spare in that it can fit either front or rear (using supplied spacers etc) to get you safely to a dealer/service center?

IMO I'd have zero issue paying for it if this thing works however I do not see in the related diagrams any spacers etc if needed to use for both front and rear applications i.e. might be front only? ALSO despite screenshot showing for 19", 20, 21" there is just a 19" by the wheel pic... ?

Currently waiting on response from my dealership and others re applicability.

HOWEVER - despite listed in the page title and listed as fitting the 2020 Taycan model lineup on their respective page descriptions, when you check to see it fits your model car via say Sunset's linked car checker it says it does not - brilliant!

Suncoast (have a query in to them pending) does not list this with the Taycan and suspect they are more accurate vs others here but again waiting to verify.

https://shop.porscheusa.com/2020-po...suspension-wheels-spare_wheel_971601017-item/

Screen Shot 2022-04-25 at 7.58.13 AM.png

Not at all familiar with this outfit but cheaper still:

https://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/oem-parts/porsche-spare-wheel-971601017
Interesting - what tires are compatible with it? And there’s still the question of where you could actually put it…

OP
OP
ciaranob

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So latest response from Suncoast and another dealership is that THIS IS COMPATIBLE with my Taycan 2022 (actually fro all Taycan's from 2020 on)!

In respect rear and front application the method for Porsche is to use for the front and if you have a rear blowout you use this compact wheel on the front and use your regular front wheel/tire on the rear - a bit odd but good enough presumably to get you to a dealership/service center.

swhsv - in the CT really not an issue if stored in rear (of course adds weight!) - many ways to strap it down etc. - I had one in my M4 convertible for 8 years with no issue - obviously you give up space but for me the peace of mind of having a drive away option vs potentially sitting for hours by the side of the road never mind dealing with tow trucks etc. is a total no brainer. My initial focus/my primary use was wrt longer road trips but that said I still carried the M4 one most days in town!

Last edited:

r553

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
981 Spyder, 2015 Cayenne Diesel, 2020 Taycan 4s
Country flag
Cayenne spare fitted on my 4 S. Bought one from a recycler.

Porsche Taycan Taycan Compact Spare Tire options cayenne spare on Taycan.JPG

OP
OP
ciaranob

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I went ahead and purchased one of these wheels - no idea as yet on timing re shipping but will be interesting to test it out when I receive it. Didn't use Suncoast as I got it for $578 (vs 703).

swhsv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I went ahead and purchased one of these wheels - no idea as yet on timing re shipping but will be interesting to test it out when I receive it. Didn't use Suncoast as I got it for $578 (vs 703).
Have you managed to find any information about what spare tires fit it? I’ve come up empty-handed so far…

OP
OP
ciaranob

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Have you managed to find any information about what spare tires fit it? I’ve come up empty-handed so far…
For the BMW wheels it was a Pirelli 135/80-18 or similar - need to research for the Porsche. The load index per tire for these tires is ca 2000lbs - so prob sufficient for one corner of our 5600lb Taycan's!

e.g.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/Tire...&rearRatio=40&rearDiameter=17&performance=ALL

But honestly have not really looked too hard yet as I know I'll lad on one or another good enough to take the load etc. and again no plans to travel any further than absolutely necessary to get to a service station.

Porsche Taycan Taycan Compact Spare Tire options Screen Shot 2022-04-25 at 1.02.57 PM

r553

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
981 Spyder, 2015 Cayenne Diesel, 2020 Taycan 4s
Country flag
Porsche Taycan Taycan Compact Spare Tire options Taycan spare in trunk.JPG

OP
OP
ciaranob

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So thought I'd update this thread with all that I have found and purchased since posting.

The Taycan compatible compact (emergency) spare wheel (made in Italy) and tire (Pirelli) are in fact essentially identical to what comes in the 2017+ 971 Panamera Emergency Spare Tire Kit. This kit is European spec and is actually not offered as such by Porsche USA for some odd reason - I say odd as 4 separate USA Porsche Dealerships (including my own) have ratified the wheel and tire as 100% compatible with the Taycan from 2020 on. You can though buy the various components individually from Porsche/dealerships in the US.

Works for me as I certainly do not want nor need all the extra fluff that comes with the Panamera package including the seriously steep Porsche price point for said pkg.!

Here is a pic from Silverspring Porsche's parts pricing of this Panamera kit (I used their getbmwparts store a lot when shopping for various things bimmer related over the years - Jason and Evan are super helpful).

Porsche Taycan Taycan Compact Spare Tire options Screen Shot 2022-04-27 at 2.47.00 PM

and here is a snapshot of the PDF from my local dealership with costs (significantly higher) for same pkg with details:

Porsche Taycan Taycan Compact Spare Tire options Screen Shot 2022-04-27 at 4.18.33 PM

Here is a pic I found of the relevant tire on a UK site:

Porsche Taycan Taycan Compact Spare Tire options Screen Shot 2022-04-27 at 4.08.39 PM

So at the end of the day I got the wheel for $578 + $75 shipping and the tire for #320 + $28 shipping. Valve stem $1.50 :). If I want tire totes I can get 4 for ca $50 Porsche branded which I prob will do.

All in I have a Porsche certified spare wheel solution with verified full Taycan compatibility (think warranty issues if nec.) for ca. $1000 which TBH is arguably a wee bit ridiculous re cost but a godsend should you be stuck somewhere vs relying on PRA or AAA or whatever other towing service and/or using the gunk or plug kits (and yes I've been there with all of these options over the years with various cars).

For those comparing to the posts here with a GT3 or Cayenne etc red colored spare wheel, they are considerably wider wheels and thus take up more space and actually not certified for the Taycan (although I'm sure would work just fine in a clinch). This Taycan (2020-2022) certified compact wheel is a 20" wheel but only 4.5" wide with a Pirelli tire measuring 155/70 R20 115M.

Lots of different options out there for dealing with flats/blow outs but I know I will now be very much more relaxed knowing I have a proper (albeit donut) spare to switch out as needed,

Cheers, C.

PS: Forgot to include this mechanical scissor jack which can handle the Taycan's weight - purchased on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08TBWMZZW?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Porsche Taycan Taycan Compact Spare Tire options Screen Shot 2022-04-25 at 8.28.44 PM

An electric jack like this might be cool and efficient no doubt but in bad case scenarios I like to have a 100% dependable mechanical solution!

The electric jack kits I considered (like to following) are FAR more expensive and also weigh 15-22 lbs vs the 7lb mechanical option here:

https://www.amazon.com/HEELP-Electr...7TT6C89G/ref=pd_lpo_3?pd_rd_i=B07TT6C89G&th=1

Last edited:
OP
OP
ciaranob

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Here is a non-Porsche possibility for a donut or compact emergency spare kit (and as yet not verified as compatible NOR if the bolt pattern etc etc is correct - plan to enquire of them soon):
- note that you can buy just the tire and wheel if thats all you need:

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Compact-Spare-Tire-Carrying/dp/B08FCXGVW8/ref=sr_1_16?crid=1D23PZIUZWOG2&keywords=compact+spare+tire+tote&qid=1651165360&s=automotive&sprefix=compact+spare+tire+tote,automotive,90&sr=1-16

Again have not researched these fully yet re compatibility with Taycan's but this seems to be an excellent deal if transferable - this is designed for a Tesla Model Y

Here is their shop on Amazon - have a ton of options however whilst VW ID4 listed Porsche is not as yet:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=MODERN+SPARE

Porsche Taycan Taycan Compact Spare Tire options Screen Shot 2022-04-28 at 12.05.01 PM

The above mentioned ID4 kit (tires area backordered):

https://modernspare.com/product/2020-2022-volkswagen-id-4-spare-tire-kit-options/

Porsche Taycan Taycan Compact Spare Tire options Screen Shot 2022-04-28 at 12.14.19 PM

Last edited:
OP
OP
ciaranob

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Spare wheel aka 'clown wheel' arrived and as noted in the Spare Tire thread, from a Panamera Emergency kit but verified for use with the Taycan (as described above and here #13 ) - 20" wheel weighs about 20lbs and 4.58" wide (so quite a lot thinner than the Cayenne spare shared above and whole wheel nice and light). Actual measured max dimensions appear to be 21.25" outside diameter and 5.25" edge width. Air pressure to be 61 psi - basically like a mountain bike tire!! Definitely won't forget to take this puppy off after use :)

Tire ordered from separate source (SilverSpring) to arrive hopefully next week but car still in shop all next week and no issue there.

Porsche Taycan Taycan Compact Spare Tire options IMG_5503

My Apple watch for scale :)

Porsche Taycan Taycan Compact Spare Tire options IMG_5501

Last edited: