Taycan connection to the "outside world" and its importance.

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
If you want reassurance that your Taycan will not need an internet connection to function properly, yes it will, but you have to make do without Porsche ID.

No connection = No Porsche ID = forever guest mode.
Thanks for sharing.
Oops, was going to ask about ability to use Porsche Charging services, then noticed your location.
Sponsored

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Unfortunately the Taycan can't connect to an external WiFi hotspot (Russian spec cars can and is permitted) so that WiFi option is out for connectivity to the car.
:surprised: Seriously? Is this an attempt to drive revenue by forcing people to pay for cellular plans? Do you know what exactly the car needs internet connectivity for? What stops working if you don't pay for cellular plan?

PS> At first I thought this might be a poor attempt at security (prevent people from seeing traffic to/from the car). but if they allow it Russia of all places, this cannot be it. What a shame they decided to disable WiFi in all the other markets :( . I know in my garage LTE is poor and I doubt paying Porsche a subscription includes them installing a cell tower/repeater in my garage. This is why I installed a WiFi access point which give each of out Teslas 500Mbps symmetric 99% signal strength connection to download things like new maps (4GB+ for an update) or simply to turn on pre-heat or pre-departure charging top-up (to warm the battery and some more range before a longer trip).

Last edited:

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Surprisingly, Smart-lift did work, despite not seeing anything on the map. I guess it only utilizes GPS coordinates and does not use map data.
Very likely GPS just works slower (takes longer to acquire positioning data), especially shortly after you power it up. A lot of GPS systems can acquire satellites faster if using cellular to figure out which region they are in, therefore which satellites should be "visible". Without cellular connection it will still work, but will be scanning for a lot more satellites, slowing down the process.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Anybody got any ideas about if this will be a problem? So many companies just take it for granted that everybody has connection all the time it is amazing.
Does the cellular provider which Porsche uses in your country offer the ability to add pico-cells (a tiny cell tower connected to the internet you can put in the garage). Alternatively, a cellular repeater might work, if there is cellular coverage outside of the garage where you can run an antenna wire to.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
:surprised: Seriously? Is this an attempt to drive revenue by forcing people to pay for cellular plans? Do you know what exactly the car needs internet connectivity for? What stops working if you don't pay for cellular plan?

PS> At first I thought this might be a poor attempt at security (prevent people from seeing traffic to/from the car). but if they allow it Russia of all places, this cannot be it. What a shame they decided to disable WiFi in all the other markets :( . I know in my garage LTE is poor and I doubt paying Porsche a subscription includes them installing a cell tower/repeater in my garage. This is why I installed a WiFi access point which give each of out Teslas 500Mbps symmetric 99% signal strength connection to download things like new maps (4GB+ for an update) or simply to turn on pre-heat or pre-departure charging top-up (to warm the battery and some more range before a longer trip).

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Its no biggie - you don't need the additional data plan as the standard LTE service for Porsche Connect covers all of your car needs.

The additional data plan is simply to share an in-car wifi hotspot to devices - game consoles (or whatever) which don't have their own LTE connection. The obvious workaround is simply to enable the hotspot on your mobile and share your data that way to anyone that might need it whilst in the car.

There was also a statement made on the Porsche Connect Services web site (USA) that the data package was needed for internet radio - I think this may be incorrect and certainly not needed in Europe.

Having poor / patchy connectivity to your car over LTE only is another topic entirely and frequently doesn't work. In US you can get LTE cell extenders which in turn connect to your wifi and would resolve your issue. These units aren't available in Europe (of course).

Failing all of the above you can always set a timer in the car to always pre-heat / cool daily whether you need it or not (whilst connected to your EVSE). No real impact on warming the battery - just a side effect of the chemistry. To truly pre-condition your battery for charging you need to punch in a charging location into your NAV to force the car to precondition (heat) the battery as needed. I've not found a way to fool the system into thinking that 'Home' is a charging location before commencing a charging session. That would add some more miles for sure.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Does the cellular provider which Porsche uses in your country offer the ability to add pico-cells (a tiny cell tower connected to the internet you can put in the garage). Alternatively, a cellular repeater might work, if there is cellular coverage outside of the garage where you can run an antenna wire to.
Alas not - that would be too helpful!

OP
OP
f1eng

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
I am fine at home but my brother's farm in Scotland has no coverage at all and is one mile from the nearest road. If I walk up the fell I get a signal on my phone but don't think I want to leave my Taycan half a mile up a hill when I visit!
My daughter's house in Wales also has bad signal. in one or two small areas of two of the rooms a signal is sometimes strong enough, but not 24/7. Everybody piles their phones there in order to receive texts :)

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
I have been concerned about any need for a Taycan to have permanent or almost permanent connection to the "outside world".

Anybody got any ideas about if this will be a problem?
Bottom line: no. You’ll still be able to drive the car. You just might not have access to ‘fancy’ features like starting the heating/air conditioning remotely or checking your cars state of charge remotely (things which I use everyday).
Sponsored