JayGT4

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT4 / Taycan Turbo
Country flag
via: https://www.engadget.com/porsche-taycan-ev-cross-country-charging-time-record-160032782.html

Porsche sent its Taycan EV cross-country to claim a 'charging time' record

It was plugged in for 2 hours, 26 minutes and 48 seconds for an LA-to-NY trip.

January 28, 2022

Porsche Taycan Taycan Cross Country Trip Sets Record With Under 2.5 Hours Total Charging Time d6cb74d0-8036-11ec-a77d-dbb27a50ca24.cf

A standard 2021 Porsche Taycan has broken the Guinness World Record for the shortest charging time to cross the United States in an electric vehicle. It only needed a cumulative charge time of 2 hours, 26 minutes and 48 seconds to cover a 2,834.5-mile drive from Los Angeles to New York. While the record it broke is highly specific, there was a previous holder: A Kia EV6, which had to be charged for 7 hours, 10 minutes and 1 second to make a similar, but just slightly longer, trip from New York to LA.

Wayne Gerdes, known for his efficiency driving and for coining the term "hypermiling," was behind the wheel for the record-breaking journey. Hypermiling, as you may know, involves the use of adjustments and driving techniques to maximize the vehicle's fuel use. Porsche told Engadget that Gerdes drove normal speeds and sometimes even went faster, depending on the charge level, for the duration of the trip.

As for the vehicle itself, it was equipped with the company's Performance Battery Plus, which has a higher gross capacity than the base battery option, and Adaptive Cruise Control. For the attempt to be recognized by the Guinness World Records, every mile of the journey had to be filmed and the vehicle's GPS had to be tracked.

Gerdes said that the first time he charged a Taycan on a 350KW charger, its battery levels went from 6 to 82 percent in just 22 minutes. He relied on Electrify America's CCS DC fast charging network for the trip, since the company is a partner for this attempt. Porsche first revealed the Taycan electric sedan in 2019 and started making deliveries in 2020. The automaker has released several variants since then, including the category-blurring Cross Turismo EV.
Sponsored

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I don't see how he managed this.

When I route ABRP from LA to NY it has over 7.5 hours of charging time.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Hypermiling on the back of a tow truck?
Looks totally impossible.

Silveral

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I just charged at a EA 150 Kw charger and the highest speed in 20 mins was 41Kw so clearly EA sponsored the whole event making sure 350 meant 350……

i have been charging at many EA 150 and 350 fast chargers. 112 was the fastest I have ever reached. And only once. Every other time 70 ish was the highest

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I just charged at a EA 150 Kw charger and the highest speed in 20 mins was 41Kw so clearly EA sponsored the whole event making sure 350 meant 350……

i have been charging at many EA 150 and 350 fast chargers. 112 was the fastest I have ever reached. And only once. Every other time 70 ish was the highest
At what state of charge though? To get the really fast speeds you need to be at 5-10%. Also make sure “optimized charging” is off and you add the charger to the nav so the car warms the battery.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I don't see how he managed this.

When I route ABRP from LA to NY it has over 7.5 hours of charging time.
At 95% of speed limit and shortest legs I get 4.6hr.
This was based on my average efficiency with 4S on 20” all season tires.
Porsche Taycan Taycan Cross Country Trip Sets Record With Under 2.5 Hours Total Charging Time 4F48D622-4BDD-4DF3-8867-1D27B4CA4B2B

WalterG

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4S
Country flag
Here’s a scenario that abrp says would cost 2:30 in charging:
- max speed set to 55mph (yawn)
- efficiency 200 Wh/mi @65mph
- charging stops set for Shortest Legs
- start with 100%

That’s a tall order. Maybe over inflated tires, climate control off, tailgating a semi the entire trip and a good tailwind. Probably would also need a scouting car going ahead to find the EA chargers that work at 250.

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Previously: 914, 944 and 997 911S. Now Taycan
Country flag
https://apple.news/AHiaSxuLoSdy5HSMEoAo5jg

Wondering however, is there an EASY way to identify ONLY 350kw chargers on the EA network on any of the current apps available?

Otherwise I have to tolerate hearing from my wife that "My Tesla is faster."

powderpc

First Name
Kelvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
20 Taycan 4S, 22 Bronco, Wrangler 4xe
Country flag

powderpc

First Name
Kelvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
20 Taycan 4S, 22 Bronco, Wrangler 4xe
Country flag

You need to understand how your initial SOC and battery temp determines charging speed. Show up with less than 10% and make sure you map out the station using the Porsche navigation and the battery will precondition itself (warm up) before arrival. Then you will find shorter charge times. Show up with 50%+, no precon, and cold outside temps and you’ll see the slowest charge rates.

Reactions: jam

Silveral

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
You need to understand how your initial SOC and battery temp determines charging speed. Show up with less than 10% and make sure you map out the station using the Porsche navigation and the battery will precondition itself (warm up) before arrival. Then you will find shorter charge times. Show up with 50%+, no precon, and cold outside temps and you’ll see the slowest charge rates.
Thanks. I do know that. But these are new EA stations that do not even show up on the app yet. Also very often if the battery temperature is very low, it doesnt really get up to ideal temps in a 30m drive. And as a last thing, I have learned to NEVER make it to a EA charger at 10% because sometime they’re just “all off for maintenance “ and you end up using a free 6kw charger and spend two hours before you can go anywhere.

after 6 happy months of reliability, over the past month EA chargers were really unreliable for me and I would NEVER risk totake my family on a long trip with the Taycan. Sad to say that. I really wanted it to be reliable but it’s not.

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Previously: 914, 944 and 997 911S. Now Taycan
Country flag
You can set those filters in PlugShare.
so just to be clear, I get PlugShare on my phone and have to check the phone first? I cannot do search for 350kw stations direct from the PCM dash?

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
so just to be clear, I get PlugShare on my phone and have to check the phone first? I cannot do search for 350kw stations direct from the PCM dash?
Unfortunately you can not filter the chargers on the Taycan PCM! That is promised as one of the updates that should be coming.
Sponsored