PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I think the only way you could do this is if you drove a semi on the route, sticking to the speed limit, and drafted it the whole way. I bet that's what they did.

With just normal hypermiling and super lucky charger stops I think 4 and a half hours is by far the best case scenario.
Sponsored

maddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (ordered)
Country flag
surely a record - slowest cross country drive in a porsche. what audience is porsche / EA trying to cater to ?

Last edited:

ElGordo

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 Turismo (2)
Country flag
Maybe it was all downhill?

I can’t even get 251 miles between NY and MA without a couple of hours of charging as EA sites never get me charged efficiently and the vehicles don’t seem to come close to spec.

Frankly seeing effort put into “records” like this is insulting vs an honest and sincere effort to help those of us who live in the real world.

A practical application of Porsche reaching anything close to their marketing would be outstanding.

A record setting thing for me would be for Porsche 800 support to actually respond with an intelligent answer in under 5 minutes vs half a day and the invariably DUMB response that indicates they never read the message in the first place.

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Until the video or at least a trip log is posted, I take this claim with a huge grain of salt.

Tay Tay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Loving him is like driving a new Maserati down a dead-end street
Country flag
Those are the 19" wheels, right? Despite official figures that 20" are more efficient.

Also I expected to see a new model, "Taycan Cross Country", was confused when it was the regular sedan.

xcel

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cleanmpg.com
Vehicles
21 Prius Prime, 20 Kona, 20 RAV4 HEV
Country flag
Hi Archimedes:

He is I.

You should never charge your Taycan to 100% on a DCFC. The last 20% is at home L2 rates and takes far too long. Anything above 57% and you have fallen below 200 KW on a given EA charger in good working order if you met all the preconditions prior to arriving at a given 350 KW EA charger. There is another energy consumption DCFC hit with heat removal but that is for another discussion.

The preconditions include pre-heating the pack by inserting the 350 KW station in the Porsche NAVI ~ 10 to 15-miles before you arrive and do so with a SOC below 20%. Arriving at a charger in the low single digits and above 89 degrees F is a best practice for minimizing charging times and your own time while parked at one.

I would also recommend reworking the "math" with more forethought. Think of area under the charging profile curve as the actual energy input into the pack. That is what it is minus minor losses. How do you maximize the Energy into the pack in the shortest time possible? Now you have it figured out. ;)

Might I suggest the following: Porsche Taycan Achieves “Shortest Charging Time to Cross the US in an EV” New Guinness World Record on how this came about. Hopefully you are experiencing faster and more reliable charge rates on any number of EA chargers given all the work put into the Porsche Taycan/Electrify America Network Status and Improvement project. It was/is not a total fix and was never intended to be. From the 200 charge points at 80+ locations in 22-states I documented, more than half the chargers in the country are now capable of charging the Taycan faster and more reliably then they were previously. This EA network upgrade occurred well before authorization to attempt the Guinness World Record was approved.

On the way back to San Diego, I performed half a cannonball since I was the only driver and would not even think about a 42-hour stint on my own. The Taycan covered 1,430 miles in 20-hours and 5-minutes at 2.8 miles/kWh with speeds of - 5 to + 10 of the PSL minus the few traffic jams in the major cities during the drive across. You can see the entire half-cannonball run via Hyperlapse at 1,250 times normal speed on a FB post in the Website Upgrades ... thread.

Wayne

Last edited:

ElGordo

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 Turismo (2)
Country flag
Wayne
No disrespect for what you accomplished.
I keep trying to get close to a reality that’s supposed to exist, adapting to make sure I am optimizing anything I can think of and across 3 brand new cars -I can’t get close to decent charging rates.

What’s even more insulting is the bills I received for getting stuck in each charging station for longer than 30 minutes. Yep- paying $$$ is the final insult.

I guess I will be doing my own cannonball from MA to NYC next week and will document it fully as perhaps there is a Guinness record for doing it as slowly and painfully as possible.

real world for me is charging at
350kw site = 50-70 kWh max
150kw site = 100kwh

as an aside
Porsche 800 support has all the effectiveness of a stapler without staples. I keep encouraging them to improve their game. The responses are simply not acceptable.

Bill33525

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘24 Q8 ETron 55 SUV, '22 Taycan RWD
Country flag
" Again, my simple math. 2834 miles and 18 charging stops (19 segments) = an average of 149 miles per segment. 2:26 total charging time = 8.11 minutes per charge session. Can these cars add 149 miles to the battery in 8 minutes at a 350kw charger? "

@ 21 minutes into this video Tom discusses the charging curve of the Taycan.

Looks like 150 miles is more like 10 minutes at best.

Last edited:

Needsdecaf

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
997.2 Turbo S, Cayenne Diesel, Cayenne E_Hybrid
Country flag
Wayne
No disrespect for what you accomplished.
I keep trying to get close to a reality that’s supposed to exist, adapting to make sure I am optimizing anything I can think of and across 3 brand new cars -I can’t get close to decent charging rates.

What’s even more insulting is the bills I received for getting stuck in each charging station for longer than 30 minutes. Yep- paying $$$ is the final insult.

I guess I will be doing my own cannonball from MA to NYC next week and will document it fully as perhaps there is a Guinness record for doing it as slowly and painfully as possible.

real world for me is charging at
350kw site = 50-70 kWh max
150kw site = 100kwh

as an aside
Porsche 800 support has all the effectiveness of a stapler without staples. I keep encouraging them to improve their game. The responses are simply not acceptable.

Can't you unplug after 29 minutes and start a new session, which will be free?

xcel

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cleanmpg.com
Vehicles
21 Prius Prime, 20 Kona, 20 RAV4 HEV
Country flag
Hi All:

This is the math in practice.

Enjoy as the Porsche Taycan/EA network assessment and improvement project lead not only to the Guinness World Record, it should help many Taycan owners experience a faster charging experience here in the U.S.

And never charge to a very high SOC to improve charging times. You want to minimize your time at the charger and the area under the curve is maximized below 40%.

Good Luck

Wayne Gerdes
CleanMPG.com

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Additional details. Drive at 40 mph, and hypermile. I figure this record could be beat by someone travelling across America in a wagon train.

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
I can understand why people may not care about the record, but why all the questions about it being real? I'm pretty confident that Guinness insisted on their usual witnesses, logs, video journal, etc. prior to entering it as an official record.

I'd also bet that drafting behind bigger vehicles, making sure to be at the optimal charging state prior to each charging session, including only charging during the peak part of the charging curve, etc., are some of the techniques used. Exactly what/how, well, who cares. I'm not planning on trying to replicate the feat.

Pretty sure no normal person would drive the way the car had to be driven for the record. But then that is probably true of every record in the Guinness book of records. As far as Youtube video clicks, why not? Isn't that something virtually every YouTuber strives for with their videos? It isn't like it is immoral and of course, no one is required to watch/click on any particular video.

Personally, I think it is cool that people are using the Taycan to set records, make YouTube videos, etc. Do I really care specifically about the record, well no I don't, but I do like that it was set in a Taycan :cool:

powderpc

First Name
Kelvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
20 Taycan 4S, 22 Bronco, Wrangler 4xe
Country flag
Thanks. I do know that. But these are new EA stations that do not even show up on the app yet. Also very often if the battery temperature is very low, it doesnt really get up to ideal temps in a 30m drive. And as a last thing, I have learned to NEVER make it to a EA charger at 10% because sometime they’re just “all off for maintenance “ and you end up using a free 6kw charger and spend two hours before you can go anywhere.

after 6 happy months of reliability, over the past month EA chargers were really unreliable for me and I would NEVER risk totake my family on a long trip with the Taycan. Sad to say that. I really wanted it to be reliable but it’s not.
There’s no EV where “long” trips are without risk, especially in cold temps. You will need AAA and a SPOT messenger/satellite phone. However anything under 300 miles is not bad. Once you get to 3X that your route planning gets painfully complicated so the sweet spot is right around 500 miles which is usually where people choose to fly, take an RV, drive a gas car, etc.

I agree that for most people the risks are usually too high to run down to single digit SOC, which is a usability flaw in the product (car and charging network). Until chargers are clustered a few miles apart like gas stations I don’t think anyone will be totally happy.
Sponsored