JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Adding their results to my test results.

ModelModeMean Air Temp FahrenheitTarget SpeedDistance Traveled milesTires
4SRange71.571.5300.820 Summer
4SRange53.171.5260.420 Summer
CT4Range~5070251.719
4SRange34.771.5220A/237.5E20 Winter
4SRange16.371.5210.120 Winter

They didn't give a mean air temp but from the dash it looked like somewhere around 50F so their results slotted nicely into mine.

I don't think people are quite aware as to how fast range sloughs off when you move away from the 68F optimum air temperatures.

When they ran their test for the 4S on 21 inch tires at around 77.5F air temps they got 277.9 miles and for the RWD at 69F the optimum temperature they got 293.3 miles.

And for completeness when they ran their 4S test at 21F they got 213 miles.

I think the 4S gets the best range of all models with the smaller front motor optimized for range and the rear motor disconnected in range mode.

jvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ice Grey CT4
Country flag
I don’t think the motor setup is the factor here. The aero of the CT is the problem. Always expected it would be. Much more turbulence with the chopped rear. Not a terrible result, but not as impressive as the sedans.

ElectricSoul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2021 Taycan 4 CT in Crayon
Country flag
Thanks for sharing!
You mentioned the "new software". Was it a MY22? The press release mentioned the following:

In Normal and Range modes, the front electric motor is almost completely decoupled and de-energised in the partial load range in the all-wheel drive models. Furthermore, no drive is transmitted to either axle when the car is coasting or at a standstill. This electric freewheel function reduces drag losses. The motors are switched on again within milliseconds only when the driver requests more power or changes the driving mode.
The thermal management and charging functions have also been further improved. With the Turbo Charging Planner, the high-voltage battery can now be heated to a slightly higher temperature than before. This means that fast charging is possible earlier and at a higher charge level. In addition, the waste heat from the electrical components is used to an even greater extent for battery temperature regulation.
Did you experience the difference with previous Taycan you range tested?

philbur

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 911 C2 (993), 2015 Cayenne S, 1978 VW Bus
Country flag
I don’t think the motor setup is the factor here. The aero of the CT is the problem. Always expected it would be. Much more turbulence with the chopped rear. Not a terrible result, but not as impressive as the sedans.
It should be more aerodynamic going backwards - shape of a drop of water - when will they start shaping cars like that?

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
What does the lack of power charge ports have to do with range?

OP
OP
riburn3

riburn3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, Model 3 SR+
Country flag
What does the lack of power charge ports have to do with range?
Who actually knows, but this has been discussed in other threads:

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/charge-port-cover-increased-drag.3709/

The drag goes from 0.22 Cd to 0.25 Cd when using the electric doors because the motor and electronics take up the space normally reserved for the fender vent. I haven’t seen any data giving a value to how this affects range; probably because there are too many variables involved. It’s really “cool factor” versus ultimate range.

They could technically reduce your range, but as above, so many other variables come into play that I doubt the power charge cover is that impactful.

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
Thanks for sharing!

Great video, as always.

I was curious on why the people who do what you do settle upon 70mph for the range test? We are in Colorado, so the high speed limit is 75mph. Most Taycan drivers will exceed that number if they can. I was curious because one person's 250 miles at 70mph quickly turns into 200 miles if you are hitting 80mph averages. Or, 175 miles if you are cruising along at 85mph in Utah.

Hopefully, you can talk Porsche into doing that test again, but with their proprietary bike rack attached to the rear of the car. It would be interesting to see what the impact on range would be. I have logged several thousand miles with a bike on the top of my Taycan sedan, and it is makes a huge impact.

Anyway, you have a lot more patience than I do when driving my 4s. I have put 20,000 miles on my Taycan and have never gotten the range you get out from your tests because I am always driving west through the mountains and doing over 80mph where I can. Honestly, I am lucky to get 175 miles of range in the summer.

Cheers!

Bry5on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'70 electric Jaguar, ‘21 Taycan 4S CT
Country flag
Who actually knows, but this has been discussed in other threads:

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/charge-port-cover-increased-drag.3709/

The drag goes from 0.22 Cd to 0.25 Cd when using the electric doors because the motor and electronics take up the space normally reserved for the fender vent. I haven’t seen any data giving a value to how this affects range; probably because there are too many variables involved. It’s really “cool factor” versus ultimate range.

They could technically reduce your range, but as above, so many other variables come into play that I doubt the power charge cover is that impactful.
A 10% change in total aerodynamic drag is huge on the highway, as your energy is primarily drag driven at 70mph. If this single option actually drives that much change, it seems crazy to me personally to spec the powered charge doors unless you really only drive at lower speeds.

Call it 5% total range change (conservatively 50% of losses going to aerodynamic drag), and that’s more than 10 miles of extra juice on a roadtrip.

cometguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Panamera 4 ST E-Hybrid; planned Taycan CT4
Country flag
Great video, as always.

I was curious on why the people who do what you do settle upon 70mph for the range test? We are in Colorado, so the high speed limit is 75mph. Most Taycan drivers will exceed that number if they can. I was curious because one person's 250 miles at 70mph quickly turns into 200 miles if you are hitting 80mph averages. Or, 175 miles if you are cruising along at 85mph in Utah.
Most people buying EVs live in areas where the speed limits are more like 55-65 mph, not 75+ mph. So, as Kyle understands, most driving will occur at 70 mph and below. It's understood that many will drive their Taycans well over 70 mph, but those that do are not concerned about range. If doing a cross-country trip, like Kyle's Cannonball runs, you're aiming for fast charging so that range isn't much of a factor because you're stopping often to just do rapid charging. Heck, 99% of driving by 99% of BEV owners is done within charging range of home anyway, whether driving 100 mph or 5 mph...

OP
OP
riburn3

riburn3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, Model 3 SR+
Country flag
Most people buying EVs live in areas where the speed limits are more like 55-65 mph, not 75+ mph. So, as Kyle understands, most driving will occur at 70 mph and below. It's understood that many will drive their Taycans well over 70 mph, but those that do are not concerned about range. If doing a cross-country trip, like Kyle's Cannonball runs, you're aiming for fast charging so that range isn't much of a factor because you're stopping often to just do rapid charging. Heck, 99% of driving by 99% of BEV owners is done within charging range of home anyway, whether driving 100 mph or 5 mph...
Pretty much this. My commute is 40 miles each way at 75mph speed limit (so really 80), but between getting on and off the freeway, non work day driving, etc, my car says my average speed is in the 50's. Range tests are fun, but really it is all about charging speed when it comes to a road trip.

To me, we are still missing an EV that has a decent range that allows you to skip a few chargers AND quickly charges. The Lucid looks to be that EV and I can't wait to see some videos where they do some road trips and perhaps even a Cannonball run in one.

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
Pretty much this. My commute is 40 miles each way at 75mph speed limit (so really 80), but between getting on and off the freeway, non work day driving, etc, my car says my average speed is in the 50's. Range tests are fun, but really it is all about charging speed when it comes to a road trip.

To me, we are still missing an EV that has a decent range that allows you to skip a few chargers AND quickly charges. The Lucid looks to be that EV and I can't wait to see some videos where they do some road trips and perhaps even a Cannonball run in one.

I totally get it, and have logged enough miles in a Taycan to understand the disparate range potential you can get from the car. I hope people will not take the 251 range achieved by Kyle as gospel - the car hit that distance for one specifically designed test. I may be different than most, but I prefer to take my Taycan on my road trips, while using my e-Hybrid Cayenne to drive around town. Less chances for some idiot texting hitting me!

And, I agree on the EV that goes 400 miles in fast highway conditions. The less stops at unreliable Electrify America chargers the better.
Sponsored