Boss Hogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S, 981 GT4
Country flag
Looks great! Do you know which width is correct for the wing bars?
I just ordered a set from Thule, their site recommend 86cm and 77cm bars for the CT, will find out later this week when they arrive.
Sponsored

Poshfpg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S ID3
Country flag
I just ordered a set from Thule, their site recommend 86cm and 77cm bars for the CT, will find out later this week when they arrive.
Interesting, I have a set for my Cayenne which I'm hoping will work with the level of width adjustment on my CT, when it arrives, but I fear I might have to buy the narrower one for the back.

OP
OP
McgR

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
update

The box and bars have been on my roof for a couple of days now. Without anything in it.

Checked again and in the rear I can not get my finger between the glas roof and the clamp. It is maximal 1 cm now. I hope i doesn’t lower when loaded and hits the roof when driving.

I have seen others with the same Thule bars and Thule box / Porsche performance and don’t think anyone had an issue with the clamp hitting the roof.

OP
OP
McgR

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Are you saying the box and bars moved further back?
No down. I had the impression that when I put them on I could put my index finger between the roof and the tip of the fixing claw if the box. and now I cant. I mesured and I could just fit a 1 cm thick book between the claw and the roof. It’s probably enough and I don’t know how much it will vibrate / move while driving on the highway.

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
So mine just arrived. I have a question based on the instructions. I have the Porsche Performance box and Porsche cross-bars, and they are rated for high-speed. I note that the Thule are capped at 80 mph. It makes me wonder whether the difference is due to the higher clearance of the Porsche bars, the different connection method, both, or just caution from Thule since they don’t control the box that will be attached? I appreciate that this is an academic question based on experience with past EVs because exceeding 80 mph kills range even without a roof box, so I can only imagine how brutal speeds above 80 mph with a roof box would be on range

Porsche Taycan Taycan CT4 w/ 2021 vs 2022 Thule Wingbar Edge , Thule Vector M roofbox 4D12A2D5-2C93-4D9E-902A-F46CD06D0E83

Porsche Taycan Taycan CT4 w/ 2021 vs 2022 Thule Wingbar Edge , Thule Vector M roofbox ED56F5BD-2ED7-4D91-BB05-2F0B36D0F163

JAGMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 CT4
Country flag
I think the differences in speed limits are based on a host of factors that are not engineering related, more likely liability, testing, etc. The method of attachment is very similar between the Thule set and Porsche set. As you mentioned, impacts to efficiency are the real challenges.

OP
OP
McgR

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
So mine just arrived. I have a question based on the instructions. I have the Porsche Performance box and Porsche cross-bars, and they are rated for high-speed. I note that the Thule are capped at 80 mph. It makes me wonder whether the difference is due to the higher clearance of the Porsche bars, the different connection method, both, or just caution from Thule since they don’t control the box that will be attached? I appreciate that this is an academic question based on experience with past EVs because exceeding 80 mph kills range even without a roof box, so I can only imagine how brutal speeds above 80 mph with a roof box would be on range

4D12A2D5-2C93-4D9E-902A-F46CD06D0E83.jpeg

ED56F5BD-2ED7-4D91-BB05-2F0B36D0F163.jpeg
The fixation of the Porsche bars and Thule is completely different. Both are made by Thule I think but the Porsche ones are clamped on the rail and the Thule are attached with a metal rubber strap.

The fixation of the Thule box and Porsche performance box is identical they are both Thule.

I think it is the testing more than the ability to go faster.

however I most cases you will put a roofbox on for a longer trip. And in the short experience I had speeds above 135 km/h the range goes down quickly and wind noice also increase significantly. It would make sense to do a longer trip above 130-140 for range and noise.

It would interest me what the wind noise is with higher speeds with the Porsche bars. Might be less with the Porsche bars because they sit higher? It would interest me if you could test both. You are in the ideal position because you have both.

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
The fixation of the Porsche bars and Thule is completely different. Both are made by Thule I think but the Porsche ones are clamped on the rail and the Thule are attached with a metal rubber strap.

The fixation of the Thule box and Porsche performance box is identical they are both Thule.

I think it is the testing more than the ability to go faster.

however I most cases you will put a roofbox on for a longer trip. And in the short experience I had speeds above 135 km/h the range goes down quickly and wind noice also increase significantly. It would make sense to do a longer trip above 130-140 for range and noise.

It would interest me what the wind noise is with higher speeds with the Porsche bars. Might be less with the Porsche bars because they sit higher? It would interest me if you could test both. You are in the ideal position because you have both.

Maybe I’ll do that for the group, but if I get nicks in my rails from the Porsche bars, I’ll hold it against you hahah

OP
OP
McgR

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Maybe I’ll do that for the group, but if I get nicks in my rails from the Porsche bars, I’ll hold it against you hahah
Yes off course that was the reason why you switched to the Thule ones. Maybe not such a good idea. Maybe someone else who already nicked the rails could comment on this.

I just ordered the Thule Thule T-track Adapter 697-6 for 35 euro. Just in case the clamp does touch the roof when driving faster. Shouldn’t be to hard to switch on the spot when necessary.

Anbre

First Name
Antti
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
Yes off course that was the reason why you switched to the Thule ones. Maybe not such a good idea. Maybe someone else who already nicked the rails could comment on this.

I just ordered the Thule Thule T-track Adapter 697-6 for 35 euro. Just in case the clamp does touch the roof when driving faster. Shouldn’t be to hard to switch on the spot when necessary.
I've got the Wingbars as well and planning on getting the Vector Alpine which needs 6cm more clearance in the back when the trunk is open (compared to Vector M). Could you kindly measure whether there's enough space for the Alpine when the bars are installed as you have them now?

OP
OP
McgR

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
I've got the Wingbars as well and planning on getting the Vector Alpine which needs 6cm more clearance in the back when the trunk is open (compared to Vector M). Could you kindly measure whether there's enough space for the Alpine when the bars are installed as you have them now?
I just checked but my box is shifted nearly as much forward as possible. Just found out now, I put it like this for the trunk to fully open. If the Alpine comes 6 cm more distally than the M you will have a conflict. If you want I can measure the distance between the rear clamp and the back of the box.

I think the M fits perfectly to the length of the roof. Why do yoy want the Alpine. It just has the advantages to be able to put in longer skis. Most skis are not longer than 1m85 anyway. I first thought I wanted the Alpkne to but changed to the M. The L is higher.

You can also program the hatch to open less off course. But that won’t be very practical to acces the trunk.

Porsche Taycan Taycan CT4 w/ 2021 vs 2022 Thule Wingbar Edge , Thule Vector M roofbox 33A19DD3-C8F6-42D8-80E6-F3C21EA7D44B

Porsche Taycan Taycan CT4 w/ 2021 vs 2022 Thule Wingbar Edge , Thule Vector M roofbox 88B0F175-9071-4549-9019-CA241E0B60BA

Porsche Taycan Taycan CT4 w/ 2021 vs 2022 Thule Wingbar Edge , Thule Vector M roofbox 3F0384A1-CA25-4827-B884-95F15110AA2D

Anbre

First Name
Antti
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
I just checked but my box is shifted nearly as much forward as possible. Just found out now, I put it like this for the trunk to fully open. If the Alpine comes 6 cm more distally than the M you will have a conflict. If you want I can measure the distance between the rear clamp and the back of the box.

I think the M fits perfectly to the length of the roof. Why do yoy want the Alpine. It just has the advantages to be able to put in longer skis. Most skis are not longer than 1m85 anyway. I first thought I wanted the Alpkne to but changed to the M. The L is higher.

You can also program the hatch to open less off course. But that won’t be very practical to acces the trunk.

33A19DD3-C8F6-42D8-80E6-F3C21EA7D44B.jpeg

88B0F175-9071-4549-9019-CA241E0B60BA.jpeg

3F0384A1-CA25-4827-B884-95F15110AA2D.jpeg
Porsche Taycan Taycan CT4 w/ 2021 vs 2022 Thule Wingbar Edge , Thule Vector M roofbox 15449FAC-C0B7-4ECB-BF3C-9DF6A6A6A1CE

Porsche Taycan Taycan CT4 w/ 2021 vs 2022 Thule Wingbar Edge , Thule Vector M roofbox 33A19DD3-C8F6-42D8-80E6-F3C21EA7D44B

Porsche Taycan Taycan CT4 w/ 2021 vs 2022 Thule Wingbar Edge , Thule Vector M roofbox 88B0F175-9071-4549-9019-CA241E0B60BA

Porsche Taycan Taycan CT4 w/ 2021 vs 2022 Thule Wingbar Edge , Thule Vector M roofbox 3F0384A1-CA25-4827-B884-95F15110AA2D
Great info, thanks!

I do cross country skiing and the skies don’t fit in the M model. I would highly appreciate if you could give me the distance between the lower part of the box and the lid? I Put it in red in the picture below.
Porsche Taycan Taycan CT4 w/ 2021 vs 2022 Thule Wingbar Edge , Thule Vector M roofbox 15449FAC-C0B7-4ECB-BF3C-9DF6A6A6A1CE

OP
OP
McgR

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
After reviewing the pictures I made I think it might be better to shift it a bit to the back to be more leveled. Thule also says in the instructions the more it is shifted backwards the better it is for wind noise.

So I shifted it back 7 cm and reprogrammed the tailgate (put it in desired position and hold close button for 3 seconds). With this opening it is still ok to acces the trunk, fully opened is easier, but it’s ok for the holidays.

Porsche Taycan Taycan CT4 w/ 2021 vs 2022 Thule Wingbar Edge , Thule Vector M roofbox A03FA9C5-18D8-4389-A6B4-0838B4EB9E05

Porsche Taycan Taycan CT4 w/ 2021 vs 2022 Thule Wingbar Edge , Thule Vector M roofbox D05F9866-CFED-4456-82AA-44886607A3D5

OP
OP
McgR

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
15449FAC-C0B7-4ECB-BF3C-9DF6A6A6A1CE.jpeg

Great info, thanks!

I do cross country skiing and the skies don’t fit in the M model. I would highly appreciate if you could give me the distance between the lower part of the box and the lid? I Put it in red in the picture below.
15449FAC-C0B7-4ECB-BF3C-9DF6A6A6A1CE.jpeg
I don’t see the red marking. But the space between the most posterior edge of the box and the lid is one thumb +/- 2 cm. It is not difficult however to reprogram the opening of the tailgate and like I posted in the post above.