Anbre

First Name
Antti
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
It seems the Alpine would fit if put as forward as possible and adjusting the lid a bit.. Thanks again for your help đź‘Ť
Sponsored

OP
OP
McgR

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Because I found the claws of my roof box too close to the roof I ordered the new 2022 Thule wing bar edge because it looks to be a bit higher.

It turned out it is only a mm or two. So not really a dig deal. I can just slide my finger between the roof and the claw which I couldn’t with the first.

I am still happy with the new ones. The fixation is clearly improved. The rubber straps now are attached with hooks which is safer. The hook fixing the inner part of the strap looks the same but attaches easier to the strap. The cover now slides on the foot where in the first version it was fixed only with the lock.

The black plastic is black nog in stead of greyish in the first version.

newly designed rubber on the bars and look sturdier.

any one hesitating between the two version: go for 2022 it’s better and improved.

I ordered black ones but the aluminum ones were delivered. They look good too and I needed them and did T have to time to send them back. Only 1 cm show anyway the rest is covered by the roof box.

Porsche Taycan Taycan CT4 w/ 2021 vs 2022 Thule Wingbar Edge , Thule Vector M roofbox 52158E56-70F1-45B8-BD9B-2F575937890D

Porsche Taycan Taycan CT4 w/ 2021 vs 2022 Thule Wingbar Edge , Thule Vector M roofbox 29B06D94-5077-4C7C-9C03-2D5EEBF7507D

OP
OP
McgR

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Happy with the efficiency with the box. Fully loaded with 2 adults 2 kids 11 an 13 and a dog and luggage for 2.5 weeks. 20 inch wheels, 22-25 Celsius. I drove speed limit + 5-10 km/h. Wind noise increase above 110 km/h. At 135 it is clearly present. Driving 125 seems to be better. The best efficiency was the 170 km part in Switzerland with speeds between 105 and 125. Last part was the Oberalp pass. The CT4 performed really well.

With normal highway driving efficiency, fully loaded 25 degrees and 20 inch wheels and the Vector M box is around 27 Kw/100 km which is good for me.

Porsche Taycan Taycan CT4 w/ 2021 vs 2022 Thule Wingbar Edge , Thule Vector M roofbox E26A915C-BA51-4C05-BE8E-2F2A6C3AE807

Last edited:

Jrkennedy37

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 Panamera ST, '21 Taycan CT4
Country flag
The fixation of the Porsche bars and Thule is completely different. Both are made by Thule I think but the Porsche ones are clamped on the rail and the Thule are attached with a metal rubber strap.

The fixation of the Thule box and Porsche performance box is identical they are both Thule.

I think it is the testing more than the ability to go faster.

however I most cases you will put a roofbox on for a longer trip. And in the short experience I had speeds above 135 km/h the range goes down quickly and wind noice also increase significantly. It would make sense to do a longer trip above 130-140 for range and noise.

It would interest me what the wind noise is with higher speeds with the Porsche bars. Might be less with the Porsche bars because they sit higher? It would interest me if you could test both. You are in the ideal position because you have both.
@TDinDC These metal bars look relatively similar to the bars on my Panny ST, except the bars clamp directly to the frame versus raised rails (Porsche tequipment version aka Thule).

When investigating the tolerances for Porsche and Thule roof equipment I read that Thule tests everything for “autobahn speeds” which they define as 200kph here and here. The rails on the Panny had zero flex and the roofbox (Thule Motion XL size) was loud but unmoved at speeds close to that. The claws from the box also had quite a bit of clearance - it almost seemed like it was too much clearance since the airflow under the box is the primary contributor to drag and inefficiency. We saw a 25%+ hit on mileage over 80mph with the roofbox but I agree that you’re not going to go nuts with speed driving an EV anyway.

Last edited:
OP
OP
McgR

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Some pictures of the car and the box around lake Como.

Happy with the CT couldn’t have made it without maximal lift of the air suspension.

Porsche Taycan Taycan CT4 w/ 2021 vs 2022 Thule Wingbar Edge , Thule Vector M roofbox CE5AF4CC-0F4E-4C8A-8D2A-93DF7BE2AA86

Porsche Taycan Taycan CT4 w/ 2021 vs 2022 Thule Wingbar Edge , Thule Vector M roofbox 9F67ABDA-A2CA-4957-81EE-7934A08B094B

Porsche Taycan Taycan CT4 w/ 2021 vs 2022 Thule Wingbar Edge , Thule Vector M roofbox 9E4DB8B4-6F45-49F0-A4A7-0C6F243CB432

Porsche Taycan Taycan CT4 w/ 2021 vs 2022 Thule Wingbar Edge , Thule Vector M roofbox 6102636C-97D6-45DB-9117-2FFC289EE283

Last edited:

OP
OP
McgR

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
For those interested in the range with the ski box and fully loaded: I drove 944 km today through Austria, Germany and Belgium. Some traffic jams. 30 degrees outside AC on 22 normal mode. I drove the allowed speed or 135-140 when no speed limit. Had to charge 3 times. The first part of the trip was 45 km down hill. I actually gained SoC. Average 22,6 kWh/100 km. Incredible how precise the range estimate is. Even with a long descent, very different speed limits and temperatures, roofbox and fully loaded with luggage and 4 persons it was still accurate.

Today I have driven like I would have with an ICE. The stops were necessary anyway for coffee, lunch and the dog. The stops were longer than charging.

Great charger coverage in Germany. And very fast Ionity charging sessions. 51 % SoC and still 246 kw charging. It was preheated to 45 degrees and 51 at the end of the session.

Porsche Taycan Taycan CT4 w/ 2021 vs 2022 Thule Wingbar Edge , Thule Vector M roofbox BF608065-6743-4CD0-AF82-8000D1DE697B

Porsche Taycan Taycan CT4 w/ 2021 vs 2022 Thule Wingbar Edge , Thule Vector M roofbox 0B339B0F-A354-4397-8C97-01FDDD4A6419

Porsche Taycan Taycan CT4 w/ 2021 vs 2022 Thule Wingbar Edge , Thule Vector M roofbox 156D9947-D631-438D-A85F-586CCB5E5FA1

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
Ok, so I’m going to install everything for the first time this weekend. I plan to install strips of 3M Scotchgard Clear Bra on my roof rails to keep them from being damaged (even though I am using the new Thule cross bars).

Since they are strips, I have to place them correctly, which depends on the correct placements of the crossbars, which depends, I assume, on the correct placement of the Porsche Performance box.

Here are my questions:

1. For aero/range purposes do I want to push the box back as far as I can without it interfering with the rear hatch, or do I want to place them based on some other criteria, like making the cross bars level? Any insights @Wouter Remmerie ?

2. If you simply lined up the cross bars with the holes on the inside of the roof rails, would this be close to perfect placement for the cross rails and box?

Any guidance would be appreciated. I’m trying to avoid a chicken/egg scenario when trying to place the clear bra strips.

Porsche Taycan Taycan CT4 w/ 2021 vs 2022 Thule Wingbar Edge , Thule Vector M roofbox 88DBFBD8-887B-4631-982E-37A42533C292

Last edited:
OP
OP
McgR

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Ok, so I’m going to install everything for the first time this weekend. I plan to install strips of 3M Scotchgard Clear Bra on my roof rails to keep them from being damaged (even though I am using the new Thule cross bars).

Since they are strips, I have to place them correctly, which depends on the correct placements of the crossbars, which depends, I assume, on the correct placement of the Porsche Performance box.

Here are my questions:

1. For aero/range purposes do I want to push the box back as far as I can without it interfering with the rear hatch, or do I want to place them based on some other criteria, like making the cross bars level? Any insights @Wouter Remmerie ?

2. If you simply lined up the cross bars with the holes on the inside of the roof rails, would this be close to perfect placement for the cross rails and box?

Any guidance would be appreciated. I’m trying to avoid a chicken/egg scenario when trying to place the clear bra strips.

88DBFBD8-887B-4631-982E-37A42533C292.jpeg
I placed them at the level of the holes. I presumed this is the ideal position. Not much room to shift. Not in a way to get it leveled. I have looked at that. The front one is at the top and would be a tiny bit lower when shifted to the front.

Thule requires at least 70 cm distance between the bars. in the position with the holes it is more than that. Not much room to shift anyway.

Thule advises that shifting the box to the back decreases wind noise. I did move the box 5 cm back and reprogrammed the hatch to open a bit less. But still comfortable to acces the trunk. In this position the box was also better balanced between the bars. What seams better to me.

To level left and right I measured the beginning of the roof rails to the clamp of the roofbars. To make sure it is straight. If it is not straight the rubber clamps don’t fit will. And I felt with my finger through the clamp if I was on the holes in the bars.

The back one is a bit lower so the box is not leveled. I drove 2000 km and didn’t have issues.

The fixation clamps on the back are close to the roof.

Good idea with the protection. I didn’t have any scratches but I do have some rubber stains. Didn’t try hard but it is difficult to get of.

Last edited:

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Jesus. What a pain it was trying to install this 3M clear bra on the roof rails. So, my original plan was to wrap the entire roof rail with a 4” strip where the cross bars go. Um, no. The profile includes two notches: one facing the exterior and one facing the interior. I found it impossible to get the 3M clear bra to stick into those recesses. Yea, I’m sure that professionals could make this work but dammit, not me. So I chose to just cut the film and stick it under the recess on inside and outside so that entire visible part of rail would be protected but not the underside. Even that was complicated because the whole thing slides around like snot on shinola. I finally used a little blue tape ro hold it in place.
I came back a few hours later (and after much wine and food) to remove tape to see that a few bubbles had developed under the tape. Gah Dammeh. I know that there are few owners of Porsches, and fewer owners of Porsches who visit Internet forums, and even fewer who are engineers that race cars who are actually type A personalities, but I suspect I may be one of the few because it infuriated me to see the bubbles that had developed. I managed to remove most because, just as in pool/billiards, wine inspired me and enhanced my natural abilities so that I could remove virtually all of the bubbles with a microfiber towel. So, it worked, but moral of the story is that I will never try to install 3M film myself again even in the limited circumstances here because life is just too f@ck#ing short. Now, if my rails get damaged even after all of this trouble . . . :p

in the light of day, looks better than I thought. Only one has bubbles, but probably I’m the only one who will notice. After all this, there is a fair chance that cross bars will damage film anyway (but at least rails will be protected).

Porsche Taycan Taycan CT4 w/ 2021 vs 2022 Thule Wingbar Edge , Thule Vector M roofbox 80847892-9954-4F1B-9D90-188FEF15F9C8

Porsche Taycan Taycan CT4 w/ 2021 vs 2022 Thule Wingbar Edge , Thule Vector M roofbox C9078F0D-BBD4-40A8-8D73-2A28AFAE9553

Porsche Taycan Taycan CT4 w/ 2021 vs 2022 Thule Wingbar Edge , Thule Vector M roofbox D9702CF5-5202-4AE6-B576-9DDA3001A1FD

Last edited:

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'll be installing the cross bars and Porsche Performance box for the first time tomorrow (I have tried to wait as long as possible since installing the clear wrap so that the clear wrap can cure . . . may not even be waiting long enough).

For those of you who use the box frequently, any tips (e.g., tricks) on installing and removing the box that are not obvious? No instructions came with the Porsche box, and the Thule picture instructions aren't exactly comprehensive.

Also, do you install it yourself, or do you need a helper? One of my sons can help me install, but after we drop him off at university, I will no longer have his assistance. I'm not the Rock, but I'm physically able and not small. How big of a risk is there of damaging the car if I remove on my own, or is it fairly easy (I assume by bringing it off to one side).

OP
OP
McgR

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
I'll be installing the cross bars and Porsche Performance box for the first time tomorrow (I have tried to wait as long as possible since installing the clear wrap so that the clear wrap can cure . . . may not even be waiting long enough).

For those of you who use the box frequently, any tips (e.g., tricks) on installing and removing the box that are not obvious? No instructions came with the Porsche box, and the Thule picture instructions aren't exactly comprehensive.

Also, do you install it yourself, or do you need a helper? One of my sons can help me install, but after we drop him off at university, I will no longer have his assistance. I'm not the Rock, but I'm physically able and not small. How big of a risk is there of damaging the car if I remove on my own, or is it fairly easy (I assume by bringing it off to one side).
The bars you can do by yourself. For the box you need to be two. Installing the bars takes some time the first time. Once you know it the next time is easy. The box only takes a couple of minutes to fix. Make sure it is centered. You can open the hatch and see how far you can put it back. You can also program the hatch to open a bit less.

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I just finished installing everything. Overall, not too bad.

I was surprised at how much the cross bars move around while trying to tighten them. They would tend to torque diagonally, so I resorted to measuring from nearest end of roof rail (based on trying to put rubber strap between holes), tightening one side completely, then pushing the other side into the same distance from the end of roof rail while tightening.

also surprised that the Porsche Performance box is so wide at the rear that it seems to nearly touch the end caps.

I also wish it were a bit shorter for aero purposes. I tried to move back as far as I could, and even set the rear hatch to open slightly lower, but it seemed like much more would be diminishing returns because still doesn’t allow you to move the box back more.

no worries about claw space. Everything with the Thule cross bars looks like it was designed for Taycan with precision.

super glad I put on clear bra at strap points, although I recommend 6” wide rather than 4” inch wide so it covers the entire rubber foot.

double check end caps because four were super tight and secure, while one popped off when I brushed against it, so must not have been locked in properly. It was fine after I reinstalled.

I was slightly annoyed that I seems to have scratched the box slightly right above the driver door so I have to see it EACH TIME I enter or exit door. Why couldn’t it have been over rear passenger door so I could forget?

I’ll post pics of clearances tomorrow.

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Mid-trip update while stuck in traffic jam due to wreck. Virtually no noise from the box all the way up to 90 mph. I’m impressed.

Now that I have arrived, I’m pleasantly shocked to learn that my consumption was nearly identical to my last road-trip without the box

Porsche Taycan Taycan CT4 w/ 2021 vs 2022 Thule Wingbar Edge , Thule Vector M roofbox 2A89DB7B-B23D-4F07-96D9-989608C9A2AF

Porsche Taycan Taycan CT4 w/ 2021 vs 2022 Thule Wingbar Edge , Thule Vector M roofbox 027D17A0-398B-42B7-A975-089F091B9F1F

Last edited:

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
For those of us who are math challenged, my consumption with the Porsche Performance Box and a full car (avg. 40 mph/65 kmh for 148 miles/238 km) was 2.5 mi/kWh, which equals 24.85 kWh/100km.

By comparison, a somewhat similar recent trip without the box (avg. 59 mph/95 kmh for 199 miles/320 kmh) was 2.7 mi/kWh, which equals 23 kWh/100km.

So, although the trips weren't fully equivalent (I got stuck behind a wreck for 45 min on the trip with the box), I took about a 7.4% efficiency hit, which isn't too bad considering the benefits.
Sponsored

Last edited: