Taycan - Daily Driver even in Winnipeg Winter?

TaycanCanuck

First Name
Douglas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 AMG GLC43
Country flag
I am considering purchasing a Taycan 4S. I know I am preaching to those who love Taycan's - enough to join a forum - but I am looking for honest feedback.

I like to drive one car. All year. But I live in Winnipeg - and yes - our winters can be harsh.

Range: No problem for me. Largely city driving with some highway in the summer.
Space: Kids are growing up. Enough space!
Performance: I think the 4S or GTS is the sweet spot. Feels good throughout the speed ranges for me.

I currently drive an AMG GLC43. I previously had an E550 and C43 (lower than a Taycan). My wife has a 2021 Yukon Denali - which we share on crazy winter days.

I have driven these EVs: Tesla 3, S, X, BMW i4 M50, iX M70?, Taycan base, 4S, GTS.
I also considered an Audi GT - but this Taycan is in stock. Anything I order may end up with a new "Luxury Tax" in the fall - which is not insignificant.

Questions:
Will this car give me enough clearance in the winter for most days?
Will range be OK in our really cold winter?

Porsche Taycan Taycan - Daily Driver even in Winnipeg Winter? IMG_3676
Sponsored

JonS1234

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Model S Plaid, Model X LR
Country flag
What's the maximum range you need in the winter? Do you have Electrify Canada or Ivy Charge near you?

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Does this stock unit have the larger battery? The extra range will REALLY help in super cold months.
Driving with the air suspension in highest mode should be no problem for heavier snow conditions.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
My €0.02: go for it. It’s amazing vehicle, you’ll have smile on your face all the time.
After all, in case of emergency, you still have Yukon.

wurzitup

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan
Country flag
Put some Hakkapeliittas on it, dont fret about how dirty it gets, and go for it. Big heavy car will be great in slush. If range isn't going to be an issue and you have home charging I don't see an issue. Other than salt on the road which sucks.

AnloTaycan2022

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo 4S
Country flag
Go with they Cross turismo you have the gravel mode to raise the car if heavy snow. I am not sure if the Sport Turismo has the gravel mode however. If so, it would be a great choice as the height is lower overall than the Cross Turismo but if it has the gravel mode, you would be able to raise the car if needed.

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Even given your winters -30C/-22F, range in the winter for city driving should be fine. Just make sure you plug it in every night. Even better if your garage is insulated. Do you park it in an outdoor lot during the day when at work?

OP
OP
TaycanCanuck

TaycanCanuck

First Name
Douglas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 AMG GLC43
Country flag
What's the maximum range you need in the winter? Do you have Electrify Canada or Ivy Charge near you?
We do not have a lot of charging stations here. But… the dealer is moving in a fess weeks - super close to where I live. They will have a new level 3 there.
I really need 150-200Km for big days.

OP
OP
TaycanCanuck

TaycanCanuck

First Name
Douglas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 AMG GLC43
Country flag
Go with they Cross turismo you have the gravel mode to raise the car if heavy snow. I am not sure if the Sport Turismo has the gravel mode however. If so, it would be a great choice as the height is lower overall than the Cross Turismo but if it has the gravel mode, you would be able to raise the car if needed.
that does look interesting. It is a special order - which I usually do- but could be hit with the upcoming luxury tax. Another $15K?

AnloTaycan2022

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo 4S
Country flag
Yes. I avoided it taking delivery in January. I had ordered in april 2021 ! CT 4S. Very happy.

OP
OP
TaycanCanuck

TaycanCanuck

First Name
Douglas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 AMG GLC43
Country flag
Even given your winters -30C/-22F, range in the winter for city driving should be fine. Just make sure you plug it in every night. Even better if your garage is insulated. Do you park it in an outdoor lot during the day when at work?
I park inside at home. The garage is not insulated - but given it is attached it really doesn't get all that cold.
When at the office I am outside. 9-10 hr days when there.
I just want to be able to get a 150-200Km day in. Most days are 75-100km, but want to be able to use the Taycan 99% of the time.

JonS1234

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Model S Plaid, Model X LR
Country flag
I park inside at home. The garage is not insulated - but given it is attached it really doesn't get all that cold.
I just want to be able to get a 150-200Km day in. Most days are 75-100km, but want to be able to use the Taycan 99% of the time.
I've got some experience of the Taycan in the -20 to -30 range. I changed my Mission E rims to the Tequipment high efficiency rims with snow tires ($8500 for the set!). The car is heavy but handles nicely in the snow. Clearance is an issue for the deeper snow so as others have recommended I think a nicely spec'd Turbo or GTS CT would be just the ticket as it rides a bit higher by default.

I've learned to have zero trust in Petro Canada but Ivy Charge and Electrify Canada have been good to me.

You should be totally fine for the 150-200kms though. I found the Taycan's range estimate "more resilient" than the Tesla in the winter.

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
It's unclear if you will be plugging in every night. In that climate you should really should. If you have an issue, it will be the car sitting in a parking lot at -30C for a large part of the day. That is the temperature your battery will be at and it will be very slow to charge so you would not want to arrive at the lot with a low state of charge for the battery.
Sponsored