Taycan Dealer Pickup Checklist

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
Since I am waiting for delivery, I wanted to know from current owners what things they did and/or wish they had done when they picked up their cars. I know from my other cars that there are a few things that are much easier to do at pickup than later. I will compile and make a comprehensive checklist for people to go through when they do their pickup for anyone to use.

Here is the Checklist; I will update as people respond.

EDIT (as of 9/12/2020): I have now picked up my car, and I have made a few additional edits.
EDIT (as of 1/8/2021): I updated to delete specific references to old (now obsolete) software updates.

New Taycan Buyer Checklist
This is a checklist that is designed to allow new Taycan buyers to maximize their buying experience and potentially minimize early ownership hassles.

Now
  • Set up your home charging infrastructure.
    • If you don't already have it, have any installations of electrical equipment performed, especially if you do not already have a NEMA 14-50 outlet in the garage with at least a 50 amp breaker.
    • If you can, have the NEMA 14-50 outlet installed on the "Left Side" of a stud (US) so that the top and bottom bolts of the cord collector can screw right into the stud. I recommend the stud be 10 inches from the nearest object (including the power panel), and approximately 52 inches (at center of power box) off the ground.
  • Purchase a USB-C cable that connects to your phone. For iPhones, this is either a new cable (such as an Apple USB-C to Lightning cable) or an adapter (recommend a new cable, however). For non-wireless charging Androids, you will need a similar cable (at least for charging). For wireless charging Androids, I suppose you don't need a cable, since the car currently does not support Android Auto and there is a wireless charger.

Before you go to the dealer (~1 week)
  • Set up your Porsche Connect Account. Some dealers will start this process for you prior to pick up. If that is the case for yours, then you will simply get an email that is initiated by Porsche and start the activation from the link in the email. If that has not happened by the time you are planning for the pickup, then follow these steps.
    • Ask your Dealer for your VIN. This will be necessary to help you get started on the next step.
    • Install Porsche Connect App and Charging NA your phone. It is available free from the App Store (iOS) or Google Play Store (Android). Be careful: There is an app called “Porsche Car Connect“—this is not the correct app!
    • Create a Porsche ID. You can do this as part of the process of installing the Porsche Connect app your phone in Step 1 above. If you struggle with small screens on the phone, you can also create the Porsche ID on your computer. Note: Do not go crazy on the complexity of your password; the experience of others on this forum has been that long and complicated passwords cause problems with logging in.
The important thing is that at the end of whichever process you choose, you have a working Porsche Connect app on your phone. If not, get what you can get done, and make sure to raise it at the dealership when you pick up your car.​
  • Notify your insurance company. This is not really Taycan-specific; I just always forget and it's kind of a hassle. Plus, since you've already acquired your VIN from above, they will have everything they need to get started binding the policy.

• Ask them to check that the key updates were completed. In particular, the updates that are really important appear to be ones that cover a very important set of updates that prevent certain malfunctions (e.g., 12V battery failures, certain types of charging problems).

• Prepare a bag to take to the dealer.Place in the bag:
    • This list!
    • The USB-C cable that you bought above (or had if you didn't need to buy it)
    • The insurance proof sent to you by your insurance company. (If possible, in some states this does not work this way.)
    • The bank check :confused:

At the dealer
  • Carefully inspect the vehicle.A few people have noted some damage to their vehicles, either from transport or at the factory. For example:
  • Have the tech walk you through all functions.Remember the user interface is not particularly intuitive - best to have someone get you through it. They may not know it all, but probably better than what you can come up with on your own through simple intuition. While you are at it, have them show you:
    • Where to find SIM information. This will be necessary to add the car to your mobile provider (eventually).
    • How to set the car to charge to the recommended 85% level. There is a really good thread here for that, but you're there anyway, and the exercise will give you a sense of how much help your dealer will be going forward.
    • Review the physical charging process (even if you have owned other plug in vehicles). In particular, note that to release a plug while the car is charging, you have to hit two buttons - the first is the one with the flashing GREEN light on the side of the charging port, and after you see the white light appear, you press the top button on the plug.
    • Be sure to attempt to charge the car and make sure that it is working. A number of people have gone home only to find out that the car will not charge.
  • Link the car to your Porsche ID. This may already be completed, but you need to verify this. This is needed to create a user profile which stores all your preferred settings. There are reportedly a number of things that have enabled this for certain users. One is to have the dealer transfer ownership to you at the dealership. Some reported troubles with this step (Porsche server sometime takes a while to update). If ownership transfer does not work, try to link your new car to your Porsche ID, as others have reported that this happened automatically in a way that did not require the dealer to really do anything outside of their normal processes.

• Confirm that the most recent software updates (e.g., WLG2 Software Campaign VR8.7) were completed. Since you had them check, before you came, you shouldn't get a puzzled reaction. [NB: Software updates are a mixed bag since I last did this. Very hard to keep up, it seems.]

• Have them charge the car. You want to leave with a full charge, as you may want to take the long way home!
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Austrian4S

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover Sport (2011), Range Rover (2016)
Country flag
Since I am waiting for delivery, I wanted to know from current owners what things they did and/or wish they had done when they picked up their cars. I know from my other cars that there are a few things that are much easier to do at pickup than later. I will compile and make a comprehensive checklist for people to go through when they do their pickup for anyone to use.
That is a great idea and would be very useful especially as mine is undergoing so called extra quality checks somewhere other than the factory and it sounds suspicious to me

Jaydoc

First Name
Judith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 Targa, Taycan on order
Country flag
Agree, I await the answers since my car will be here in 2 weeks

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
Few suggestions to get this started:
1. Have a Porsche ID already created and have Porsche Connect and Charging NA already installed on your phone. If you struggle with small screens on the phone, best to do the Porsche ID on your computer.
2. Resist the temptation to leave early because the car looks gorgeous and you can't wait to drive it. Have the tech walk you trough all functions. Remember the user interface is not particularly intuitive - best to have someone get you through it. They may not know it all, but probably better than what you can come up with on your own through simple intuition.
3. Have the dealer transfer ownership to you, so you can link the car to your Porsche ID. Some reported troubles with this step (Porsche server sometime takes a while to update) - for me it worked at the dealership. This is needed to create a user profile which stores all your preferred settings.
4. While you are waiting for the paperwork, have them charge the battery in full.
5. Work on your smile, you will have one on display....

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Few suggestions to get this started:
1. Have a Porsche ID already created and have Porsche Connect and Charging NA already installed on your phone. If you struggle with small screens on the phone, best to do the Porsche ID on your computer.
2. Resist the temptation to leave early because the car looks gorgeous and you can't wait to drive it. Have the tech walk you trough all functions. Remember the user interface is not particularly intuitive - best to have someone get you through it. They may not know it all, but probably better than what you can come up with on your own through simple intuition.
3. Have the dealer transfer ownership to you, so you can link the car to your Porsche ID. Some reported troubles with this step (Porsche server sometime takes a while to update) - for me it worked at the dealership. This is needed to create a user profile which stores all your preferred settings.
4. While you are waiting for the paperwork, have them charge the battery in full.
5. Work on your smile, you will have one on display....
Yes, thank you! I already created my Porsche ID (it says it is my email address) on my PC. Got an email "Proof of Ownership Request". I printed it and will go with it to the dealer next month to pick up my Taycan. From what I gathered on this form, having this ID linked to the car to store all the settings is an essential part of the usability. I will not leave without this done!

However the apps I could not find in my market. Strange but not really relevant is it? After all I buy the Taycan to drive!

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
Yes, thank you! I already created my Porsche ID (it says it is my email address) on my PC. Got an email "Proof of Ownership Request". I printed it and will go with it to the dealer next month to pick up my Taycan. From what I gathered on this form, having this ID linked to the car to store all the settings is an essential part of the usability. I will not leave without this done!

However the apps I could not find in my market. Strange but not really relevant is it? After all I buy the Taycan to drive!
I tried the proof of ownership thing, it never went through. Here in US the dealer just submitted in their system that ownership is transferred to me on the day I got the car, it worked instantly.

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
If you are trying to log into your brand new car with your PorscheID and it says “your password is wrong” (and you are sure you typed it correctly) then the Dealership has NOT yet transferred the car to you. (In US Dealer parlance: “RDR’d the car”) Don’t bother trying your password again. Wait a day. Try again.

The error message is misleading and Porsche should be embarrassed (and then fix it). Typing in a password 30 times, creating new accounts, etc was a shitty first hour experience.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I tried the proof of ownership thing, it never went through. Here in US the dealer just submitted in their system that ownership is transferred to me on the day I got the car, it worked instantly.
Thank you. After I have added my car with my new VIN to the "My Porsche" website, I got an email:

Porsche Taycan Taycan Dealer Pickup Checklist 1595155800516

And then after that another email from an employee at Porsche China

Porsche Taycan Taycan Dealer Pickup Checklist 1595156363396

This I printed out and will bring it to the dealer when the car arrives.

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
Thank you. After I have added my car with my new VIN to the "My Porsche" website, I got an email:

1595155800516.png

And then after that another email from an employee at Porsche China

1595156363396.png

This I printed out and will bring it to the dealer when the car arrives.
It means you are getting close :like:. You will certainly enjoy the car

OP
OP

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
Thank you everyone for the contributions so far. Please let me know if there are regional variations, as it sounds like some steps may be region-specific.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thank you everyone for the contributions so far. Please let me know if there are regional variations, as it sounds like some steps may be region-specific.
The comment about registering early to order the Porsche Charging card is a European feature. In the USA you need to get the 3 years of free 30min charges at Electrify America, similar program for the upcoming Electrify Canada to my understanding. Also need to install the "Charging NA" so.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
The comment about registering early to order the Porsche Charging card is a European feature. In the USA you need to get the 3 years of free 30min charges at Electrify America, similar program for the upcoming Electrify Canada to my understanding. Also need to install the "Charging NA" so.
I am curious, if I get any deal from Porsche, otherwise I join these guys Sunday night in the suburbs on 160kW for USD 0.16/kWh...

Porsche Taycan Taycan Dealer Pickup Checklist 20200719_203328 - Copy

Porsche Taycan Taycan Dealer Pickup Checklist 20200719_203335 - Copy

Porsche Taycan Taycan Dealer Pickup Checklist 20200719_203836 - Copy

LonePalmBJ

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S Gentian Blue Metallic, Black/Chalk,
Country flag
Consider adding:
  1. a check that the vehicle wasn't subject to the 12V battery replacement campaign, and if it was that it was done
  2. Confirmation that the WLG2 Software Campaign VR8.7 was completed

r553

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
981 Spyder, 2015 Cayenne Diesel, 2020 Taycan 4s
Country flag
I picked up my 4 S last Tuesday. I was a guest for the next two days until they straightened out getting rid of one of two My Porsche accounts. The second day I could login to the car and go through the kabuki to set up the car. I specifically set it up for no pass code upon start up. That lasted one day. This morning the car wanted the pass code at several start ups. Some times it wouldn't accept the pass code. Some start ups today it didn't care about pass code.
Sponsored