Taycan died at Electrify America charger - how to deal with it if it happens to you

OP
OP

mikelevitt

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
How does the 20 minute reset work? You just don't touch anything for 20 minutes? Were you hanging around outside the car or inside? As per others, am curious if there is another way to do a reset that does not take 20 minutes as that is a long time. Full reset on the Tesla takes about 5-10 mins, I think. I would hate to wait 20 mins and then nothing happened.

Remember that this came from the salesman, not a tech person, or a service advisor. He said that if you lock the car and walk away it will reset itself in about 20 minutes. I haven't tested it, since the car only died once, but it seems to fit what happened to mine.
Sponsored

kmcdonal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan 350Z, Subaru WRX
Country flag
Remember that this came from the salesman, not a tech person, or a service advisor. He said that if you lock the car and walk away it will reset itself in about 20 minutes. I haven't tested it, since the car only died once, but it seems to fit what happened to mine.
My dealership suggests the "lock your car for 20 minute" routine for just about any technical glitches. I have to say that it has worked for me for a variety of temporary glitches. It seems to be the equivalent of rebooting your computer when your computer gets glitchy.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
The 20 minute guidance is an expectation of how long after the car is locked all systems except the OTA communications module and key fob transceiver shut down. It could be nearly instant after you lock the car. It could be around 30 seconds (headlight off delay). It could be 5 minutes. It could be 20 minutes.

The OTA communications module remains powered - this module checks in periodically with Porsche servers to update vehicle position, mileage, SOC, windows, lock status, etc. and to see if it needs to do anything like turn on climate control).

The key fob transceiver is so proximity sensors (for key in your pocket) work and for when you push a key fob button.

If you want to be absolutely certain everything is shut down, including the above, right now, you can disconnect the positive cable at the 12V battery (behind the splash shield in the frunk). Wait 60 seconds, then reconnect, and everything will be rebooted. Consider this an extreme and not-recommended step. The wait 20 minutes after locked step should be good enough.
Sponsored