Taycan Drone Accessory

HelfFL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Good find Graham. I was also hoping for the glacier blue rear emblem scene (see :20 of video) to match my Glacier Blue LED Headlights option. The lettering and circuit board display are on my car so I'm hoping it can be activated in the future.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
Good find Graham. I was also hoping for the glacier blue rear emblem scene (see :20 of video) to match my Glacier Blue LED Headlights option. The lettering and circuit board display are on my car so I'm hoping it can be activated in the future.
I'm still waiting for my Turbo S to arrive. The "Swift Ace" made landfall in Davisville this morning so now I wait till she gets offloaded in Houston...

Anyway, You sure the circuit board and lighting elements (LED?) are already mounted in our vehicles? Just not activated? Hacking this kind of stuff is what I live for... ;-)

Anyone got a Porsche Part number for the board so I can maybe order one?

HelfFL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I'm still waiting for my Turbo S to arrive. The "Swift Ace" made landfall in Davisville this morning so now I wait till she gets offloaded in Houston...

Anyway, You sure the circuit board and lighting elements (LED?) are already mounted in our vehicles? Just not activated? Hacking this kind of stuff is what I live for... ;-)

Anyone got a Porsche Part number for the board so I can maybe order one?
I'm not sure if the "electronics/wiring" are actually there, but the Porsche lettering is transparent (begging to be lit up) and the background has a circuit board look. I have not opened up the trunk panels to see what's there. I'd take a picture for you but my car is at the dealership having a charging issue looked at - a whole other issue for another thread once I get my car back and a resolution.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Haha! You're joking, right?

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm not sure if the "electronics/wiring" are actually there, but the Porsche lettering is transparent (begging to be lit up) and the background has a circuit board look. I have not opened up the trunk panels to see what's there. I'd take a picture for you but my car is at the dealership having a charging issue looked at - a whole other issue for another thread once I get my car back and a resolution.
I'll take a peek after my car arrives. I have access to PCB design and manufacturing resources. I have spun up a bunch of commercial MicroController (Arduino, ESP32) boards to do a variety of stuff (inc Lighting, WiFi, GSM, and SMS based products).

It might be fun to spin up a properly dimensioned, 12V powered board, with a bunch of strategically placed, RGB SMD LED's to be controlled via Bluetooth (for instance)... An $11 ESP32 (with embedded Bluetooth) would be a perfect controller for this: https://www.amazon.com/HiLetgo-ESP-WROOM-32-Development-Microcontroller-Integrated/dp/B0718T232Z

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
We could EASILY use Bluetooth to select and control a virtually unlimited variety of lighting effects...

We could also add a brake light "trigger" to activate the display.

If you REALLY wanted to go crazy, we could monitor the OBD2 traffic to selectively activate the display during different events (braking, acceleration, door lock/unlock, etc)...

Gubbjaevel

First Name
F
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TaycanT'20
Country flag
Now we're talking! I like where this is going! Following

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
I'll take a peek after my car arrives. I have access to PCB design and manufacturing resources. I have spun up a bunch of commercial MicroController (Arduino, ESP32) boards to do a variety of stuff (inc Lighting, WiFi, GSM, and SMS based products).

It might be fun to spin up a properly dimensioned, 12V powered board, with a bunch of strategically placed, RGB SMD LED's to be controlled via Bluetooth (for instance)... An $11 ESP32 (with embedded Bluetooth) would be a perfect controller for this: https://www.amazon.com/HiLetgo-ESP-WROOM-32-Development-Microcontroller-Integrated/dp/B0718T232Z
Following.
Yes. Do. This.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Yeah, thought of something like that too.
It really doesn't need more than 7 focussed LEDs to light the Porsche letters from above.
But I'm not bold enough to cut open an expensive piece of plastic...
And I'm quite handy if I may say so.
It's probably not even possible to open it cuz they use different glue than like 20 years ago (probably laser welded).
That time you could heat up a headlamp in an oven at around 60°C and could separate the two pieces...and reassemble it without any problem...

Last edited:

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I even did some testing with pmma plastic in the same shape/form as the Porsche letters.
It works.
IMG_20191025_122459859.jpg

Here's the link to the original topic:
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/rear-porsche-letters-lighting-my-idea.630/

Anybody got a shot of what the entire assembly looks like? Are the electronics and the letters inside the same "envelope" or would the electronics be a separate assembly? IOW: Does the lettering have to be cut open to insert a PCB or could it simply be illuminated from behind without modification?

yankees757

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Range Rover, AudiSQ5
Country flag
Someone needs to do this - when I picked up my car I actually asked the dealer if that was a light - was slightly disappointed when he said no...Didn't take away from overall excitement about the car though

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
Looking forward to seeing this one as well. There are a number of state-by-state restrictions on this kind of lighting, so I can understand why Porsche did not enable this feature in the US. Not sure why they didn't enable it elsewhere, however. Perhaps there are similar laws in other countries.

LonePalmBJ

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S Gentian Blue Metallic, Black/Chalk,
Country flag