Big_Pete1999

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Why yes, I do have vehicles, thanks for asking
Country flag
I don't think with today's safety rules it's possible to have suicide doors.
Unless you make the car out of CFRP.
That alone makes it twice as expensive, so there's your bathwater.
Just because the opening is too wide to give enough strength it needs either a lot of steel (makes it heavier) or loads of carbon which makes it expensive.

About the fenders and other style elements, I agree.
I think they missed a unique opportunity to blow the car world off it's feet.
That's the plug they pulled to get rid of the bath water indeed.
Still, I'm curious what they come up with in Frankfurt...
And honestly, even if they ditched the suicide doors, that's fine, but don't give it traditional door handles. I think that's my biggest beef with it. The suicide doors made it look more like a 2 door sports car because the handles blended in the middle which throws your eyes off of the fact it's a true 4 door.
So ditch the suicide doors but do what (I can't believe I'm about to say this), but do what Tesla does (or did with roadster) and make the handles flush mount that sense when you're gonna grab it and it pops them out. That way it will keep the same aesthetic of suicide doors, but have the B pillar.
Sponsored

Last edited:

dennis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance, P85D, McLaren 720S, Cayenne S
Country flag
I think a lot of people that put deposits down were disillusioned that they could own for a consumer car's price what was essentially a supercar when they saw the concept.
Porsche has made this disappointment much worse because they have repeatedly used images of the Mission e when talking about the Taycan even as recently as a month ago. It's no wonder so many people are disillusioned.

TheSnape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fiesta
Country flag
Precisely. I was clumsier in my comment but the watered down production model is surely a marketing/ branding decision. Similar to Porsche neutering the superior Cayman chassis from a horsepower standpoint as to not destroy 911 sales. Totally consistent corporate thinking
Really, really disappointing to hear that. To make a car purposely (look) worse just so not to sabotage sales of other models..

newreef77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Country flag
What a Bull...t, watering down something, make it slower, sell it only in yellow and brown, offer only 18" wheels to protect the 911 or the other type of cars. I wonder how long a car producer like Porsche would be on the market if they behave like mentioned above.

They have shown a study in 2015, a radical study of a 4 door electric vehicle from porsche. Just to show whats possible if designers could live their dreams without taking care about all the other stuff (crash tests, stability, headspace,.....). Since 2015 they also got their ideas about the Taycan and like mentioned a few pages before from my point of view they have done an absolutly great job. Looks like a porsche from every angle, hopefully drives and handles like a porsche. So everything is perfect and matches to the overall porsche strategy.

No one in car industrie would do it in a different way. Otherwise there would be some magical cars on the road.

Friedrich

First Name
Friedrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future: 2020 Porsche Taycan, 2022 Tesla Y; Current: Boxster S, Acura MDX; Past: 66 VW Beetle, 82 Porsche SC Targa, 91 Acura NSX, 98 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2002 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2004 Porsche Cayenne S
Country flag
This is what I see in the design. The designers have elongated the front, and "shortened" the rear, actually elongating the rear seat passenger space to give more head room which gives the appearance of a shortened rear end. Porsche took away the aggressive flares on the front and rear fenders, both presumably to be more practical and give the interior more space......all a great sacrifice to the original Mission E design concept. The rear doors seem bigger than the suicide doors giving the Taycan more rear seat room for a real 4 or 5 passenger car, but then a longer wheelbase adding to the Panamera look. My guess is that the designers dropped the suicide doors because those types of doors frequently end up have problems not latching properly after a few years and Porsche wants to maintain a near perfect record on high quality. (I have had my Porsche Boxster now for almost 6 years, and the ONLY problem I have had was the door latch....and noisy brakes which dealer said was normal with the Boxster, no other problem at all!! Amazing quality, so the Taycan, not matter if it looks like a great sedan, or the Mission E, it will be my 6th Porsche).

Porsche Taycan Taycan drops camo revealing headlights, tail lights, rear side window MissionEvsTaycan

DrParis

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 991.2 C4S. Panamera GTS
Country flag
It’s interesting how certain people on this forum disparage those who disagree with their vaunted self important opinions as “ dorks” and dismiss out of hand opinions contrary to their own as “ bullshit”. It must be nice to be that smart

OP
OP

Big_Pete1999

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Why yes, I do have vehicles, thanks for asking
Country flag
What a Bull...t, watering down something, make it slower, sell it only in yellow and brown, offer only 18" wheels to protect the 911 or the other type of cars. I wonder how long a car producer like Porsche would be on the market if they behave like mentioned above.

They have shown a study in 2015, a radical study of a 4 door electric vehicle from porsche. Just to show whats possible if designers could live their dreams without taking care about all the other stuff (crash tests, stability, headspace,.....). Since 2015 they also got their ideas about the Taycan and like mentioned a few pages before from my point of view they have done an absolutly great job. Looks like a porsche from every angle, hopefully drives and handles like a porsche. So everything is perfect and matches to the overall porsche strategy.

No one in car industrie would do it in a different way. Otherwise there would be some magical cars on the road.
That's a very "Idealistic" approach you have.
I disagree and call my approach "realistic".
Tomato v Tomato(e)
When I first saw the Mission E, I honestly figured it was a replacement for the 918. Then I found out it was a 4 door (suicide doors threw my eye off initially) electric. I figured it would be $250+ because again, it was a beautiful looking super/hyper car.
Then I found out it was going to be in the $65+ range... then the $75+ range... then the $90-130 range.
AWESOME, I'll gladly pay that for a super/hyper car.
Then we see crappy "panamera" mules and that's when the light came on... they HAD TO change the design to a watered down design and more panamera design to not devalue their premium models. While it's a completely different market, who in their right mind would pay 2x the money for a less aesthetically pleasing car? There's no other logical reason for it. If you connect the dots, there really isn't any logical reason to completely scrap the very aesthetic things (minus, what, headlights?) that made people lose their minds over this car. If they don't want suicide doors, fine, make it touch door handles or auto sensing door handles so it doesn't look like a 4 door saloon.

But again, I think I am thinking more on the realistic side and you're thinking on the idealistic side. They are completely different ends of the spectrum.
You're hoping and praying Porsche won't do it. But the only proof you actually have are hopes and prayers.
While I admit I don't know anybody in the company, I can at least logically connect dots and connect them back to the actual world we live in.

Anyways, it is what it is. The people who don't care will buy it, and the people like me who were sold a pipe dream won't. But when they STILL TO THIS DAY trot out the Mission E that they re-branded the Taycan to drum up interest says that we aren't mistaken in being angry that they're bait and switching on us. Thankfully we can get our deposit back.

I also have a feeling that these "we sold out of the 20,000 units we plan on making and we might have to make 40,000 this year" projections are going to show to be faulty as they conveniently forget that they're selling the public on the sexy curves of the Mission E, not the hum-drum looking mules. And I have a sneaky feeling that someone will be able to walk into a dealership and purchase a Taycan because they have an excess amount because their customers refuse to put up with their nonsense. I love Porsche, but I'm not married to them, so I don't have to put up with their bait & switch.

DrParis

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 991.2 C4S. Panamera GTS
Country flag
Tomato v Tomato(e)
When I first saw the Mission E, I honestly figured it was a replacement for the 918. Then I found out it was a 4 door (suicide doors threw my eye off initially) electric. I figured it would be $250+ because again, it was a beautiful looking super/hyper car.
Then I found out it was going to be in the $65+ range... then the $75+ range... then the $90-130 range.
AWESOME, I'll gladly pay that for a super/hyper car.
Then we see crappy "panamera" mules and that's when the light came on... they HAD TO change the design to a watered down design and more panamera design to not devalue their premium models. While it's a completely different market, who in their right mind would pay 2x the money for a less aesthetically pleasing car? There's no other logical reason for it. If you connect the dots, there really isn't any logical reason to completely scrap the very aesthetic things (minus, what, headlights?) that made people lose their minds over this car. If they don't want suicide doors, fine, make it touch door handles or auto sensing door handles so it doesn't look like a 4 door saloon.

But again, I think I am thinking more on the realistic side and you're thinking on the idealistic side. They are completely different ends of the spectrum.
You're hoping and praying Porsche won't do it. But the only proof you actually have are hopes and prayers.
While I admit I don't know anybody in the company, I can at least logically connect dots and connect them back to the actual world we live in.

Anyways, it is what it is. The people who don't care will buy it, and the people like me who were sold a pipe dream won't. But when they STILL TO THIS DAY trot out the Mission E that they re-branded the Taycan to drum up interest says that we aren't mistaken in being angry that they're bait and switching on us. Thankfully we can get our deposit back.

I also have a feeling that these "we sold out of the 20,000 units we plan on making and we might have to make 40,000 this year" projections are going to show to be faulty as they conveniently forget that they're selling the public on the sexy curves of the Mission E, not the hum-drum looking mules. And I have a sneaky feeling that someone will be able to walk into a dealership and purchase a Taycan because they have an excess amount because their customers refuse to put up with their nonsense. I love Porsche, but I'm not married to them, so I don't have to put up with their bait & switch.
I agree completely. Porsche is a great brand but the Taycan was never meant to approximate the Mission e for corporate considerations

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche: Taycan R; Tesla: orig Roadster, X, new roadster reserved
Country flag
Tomato v Tomato(e)
When I first saw the Mission E, I honestly figured it was a replacement for the 918. Then I found out it was a 4 door (suicide doors threw my eye off initially) electric. I figured it would be $250+ because again, it was a beautiful looking super/hyper car..........................
I agree completely. Porsche is a great brand but the Taycan was never meant to approximate the Mission e for corporate considerations
I agree that the mission e concept that they said they would follow closely has been very much watered down but is still there somewhere...... as a general design guideline, not as a design objective as we were lead to believe, hoped, they would execute on. I however, have a hard time believing your idea of why this has happened. I really dont think it is as sinister from their end as you seem to believe but rather taking a look at what they have and what has been working for them in the different segments. Peculiarly the Panamera has been, and is selling well...... So here they have a sporty comfortable 4 door car that initially was an ugly duckling and now has just become plain, and its still selling well. So its selling to a new customer base...... Taycan they are expecting to also sell to a new customer base..... Tesla customers that wants something more sporty, and others of their ilk. So I am not sure they see it as cannibalizing the 911 or replacing the 918 but rather bringing new and different customers to their base. If this works well then they will get into the more Porsche oriented base with something more true and pure in the porsche sense, but I think for now all the indications they are getting is that 911 fans don't want electric anyway so somewhere in between... better than a TESLA S and a little different and sexier than their Panamera..... Voila the Taycan....... the only really problematic thing that has happened is that the marketing department has gotten carried away by the mission e and are still using it as the tell tail...... which is a bit of a nuisance.

Last edited:

AlphaG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lotus Elise, Chevy Volt, Model X
Country flag
I, for one, simply wanted a Porsche. And an electric car. And now I will get it... in a year or two.

Concept vehicles, in my mind, are designer cars with little practicality. I want a Porsche Taycan... the practical Porsche I knew Porsche would make after seeing the Mission-E concept.

This will be a mass market car, after all...

MissionC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I, for one, simply wanted a Porsche. And an electric car. And now I will get it... in a year or two.

Concept vehicles, in my mind, are designer cars with little practicality. I want a Porsche Taycan... the practical Porsche I knew Porsche would make after seeing the Mission-E concept.

This will be a mass market car, after all...
My position as well - I’m very excited for the Taycan as my kids can’t fit into my 911 any longer and I don’t want the size of a Panamera. Size wise, the Taycan looks perfect and while I’ll miss the sound of the engine, I’m ready for the future of Porsche.

TaycanKeith

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover Supercharged
Country flag
In the Norwegian Market there is a significant tax incentive to buy electric cars. If Taycan looks like a more conventional 4 door electric sports car it will provide Porsche with a car to compete with Tesla and Jaguar, however it will also need to compete with Tesla and Jaguar on price in this market.

If Taycan is closer to the concept design Porsche will be able to charge a significant premium. The Frankfurt motor show is only 4 months away, it will be interesting to see if we have just another 4 door electric sports car or if Taycan is truly a car worth paying a premium for.

dennis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance, P85D, McLaren 720S, Cayenne S
Country flag
Which is likely why I'll end up yanking back my deposit and wait for an actual roadster type car like Tesla is making (but not Tesla as they'll likely be bankrupt).
Tesla is not going bankrupt.

- Tesla has already sold 500K cars
- Tesla has the highest owner satisfaction of any brand, displacing Porsche in the Consumer Reports survey and holding the top spot for 5 years
- If Tesla needs more capital there are plenty of investors who will step up to provide it. They filed to raise $2B+ today and the stock rose $10 despite pending dilution from the cap raise

Tesla going bankrupt is a short seller fantasy. It is used by them to discourage consumers from buying Tesla cars. Don't fall for it.

BTW the new Roadster is beautiful. I saw it in person at the Model Y reveal. And since Tesla doesn't do concept cars you can count on the production Roadster deviating very little from the prototype.

Haros

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You bet
Country flag
In the Norwegian Market there is a significant tax incentive to buy electric cars. If Taycan looks like a more conventional 4 door electric sports car it will provide Porsche with a car to compete with Tesla and Jaguar, however it will also need to compete with Tesla and Jaguar on price in this market.

If Taycan is closer to the concept design Porsche will be able to charge a significant premium. The Frankfurt motor show is only 4 months away, it will be interesting to see if we have just another 4 door electric sports car or if Taycan is truly a car worth paying a premium for.
Here in BC I actually pay a luxury tax lol. So an automatic 15-25% tax depending the price.

newreef77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Country flag
Sorry for calling some statements bull...t, but most of the views are only from the customer side.
Get an Mission E for 65.000$ and and all the features shown in the concept. Even there will be some guys (maybe also in this forum) who would buy one for 350.000$ there will be only a few of them.
Years ago Porsche and their owners had to make a decission about their future. Stay a small supercar brand or bring it to a higher level with more than a 911.
So all hardcore porsche fans (the aircooled ones ;-) had a real problem with SUV´s, Panameras and now electric cars (they had a problem with watercooled and turbo too), but the rest didn´t care and was happy about the opportunity to drive porsche also with the family ....
And now there is an invest of appr. 6.000.000.000€!!!! in electric cars. So it wouldn´t make sense to start with 1.000 superhyper electric cars for the first year.
Price and optics have to fit to get into the market specially if the leader in this segment has a lot more know how over the years (and also an existing infrastructure).
For me the step in to the electric market is well done with the Taycan and to be honest the mules maybe looks like panameras but belive me the final version looks great in it´s very special Taycan way. Frankfurt will show a small and very sporty 4 door car which looks really nice and a lot of the people getting back their deposit wouldn´t be happy with their decission.........
Only my idealistic view.
Sponsored