Taycan / electric in the snow and cold weather?

Duness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 M3
Country flag
Hi everyone,
I have a deposit down and am trying to find every bit of info I can on the Taycan - exciting stuff. I'm even using this purchase as incentive to loose weight so I'll be able to get in and out of it! I live in Toronto - wondering what it will be like in the snow. The other day I was in pretty deep snow in my M3 with DCT and had to rock the car back and forth to get through a drift into my garage - wonder if you can rock an electric car?
Sponsored

PPK

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Cayenne GTS
Country flag
Congrats on the deposit! The Taycan will definitely be better than your M3 in the snow. High torque with RWD is the worst combo for the snow, so no wonder you had a hard time with your M3.

The Taycan will be all-wheel-drive (with an electric motor at each axle) so it should handle snow/ice a lot better. Traction will be night and day difference. But, snow clearance is an issue for both cars if we're talking about dealing with large snow drifts. Can't do anything about that other than getting a high riding SUV :)

SHY

First Name
Svein Harald
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ymr.no
Vehicles
Mercedes R-Class, Saab 9-5, Mac Minarelli X30 gokart
Country flag
Won’t it come with air suspension and the possibility to raise it?

OP
OP
Duness

Duness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 M3
Country flag
It will certainly have a low ground clearance. I just won't drive it in deep snow - it'll be Uber and transit after a snow storm.
My plan is to pick it up in Germany and have a few weeks touring before shipping it back to Canada. Good to see there will be a bit of storage space for a suitcase.
Porsche Taycan Taycan / electric in the snow and cold weather? Porsche-Taycan-Prototype-_SB18071

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche: Taycan R; Tesla: orig Roadster, X, new roadster reserved
Country flag
If you have the same inlets on the car side in Canada then you are fine otherwise a EU pickup will be impossible unless you plan to rebuild the whole inlet part when you get basic to Canada.........

OP
OP
Duness

Duness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 M3
Country flag
Interior looks great but maybe the rear seats won’t fold down for extended storage - thinking suitcase for a road trip for 2.

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche: Taycan R; Tesla: orig Roadster, X, new roadster reserved
Country flag
How does cold weather affect EV battery range?
Cold weather shortens the range by a considerable amount……. so a good charging network with short charging times becomes more important on longer trips in the winter

AllCovered

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'17 BMW M2
Country flag
Hi everyone,
I have a deposit down and am trying to find every bit of info I can on the Taycan - exciting stuff. I'm even using this purchase as incentive to loose weight so I'll be able to get in and out of it! I live in Toronto - wondering what it will be like in the snow. The other day I was in pretty deep snow in my M3 with DCT and had to rock the car back and forth to get through a drift into my garage - wonder if you can rock an electric car?
Make sure to get the AWD version (S and Turbo). Like others have said, ground clearance issues in deep snow is kind of unavoidable, even with the air suspension. I can't speak to this personally but with Norway having the highest EV adoption rate I don't think it's an EV issue, but just sports cars in general. About the EV range in cold weather, it definitely has a big negative impact on range but at least the cars can start ;)

JC Mann

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayman S, Tesla Model S
Country flag
I’ve had Tesla Model S for 4 winters … well, Alabama winters … and noticed 25-30% reduction in range, especially in bad conditions.
Heater, wipers, lights all use the battery. Although a/c is very efficient, heater is expensive battery use. It’s not a Tesla problem, it’s a battery problem. You just have to plan around it. Nonetheless, I’m planning on getting a Taycan knowing it’ll be the same way.

MarcG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
P85D
Country flag
Yes, and Tesla is very good at extracting any wasted heat out of the drivetrain. I hope Porsche invested enough R&D to also be as mindful for cold-weather conditions.

JayGT4

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT4 / Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I’ve had Tesla Model S for 4 winters … well, Alabama winters … and noticed 25-30% reduction in range, especially in bad conditions.
Heater, wipers, lights all use the battery. Although a/c is very efficient, heater is expensive battery use. It’s not a Tesla problem, it’s a battery problem. You just have to plan around it. Nonetheless, I’m planning on getting a Taycan knowing it’ll be the same way.
Well, ICE cars are also less efficient in cold weather - up to 20% less fuel economy.

I hope the engineers have done some magic with the battery thermal management system, both for cooling and heating the batteries to optimal temps.

Mhsulli

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla P85
Country flag
The other thing to keep in mind is that the skateboard design (batteries in the board) creates a low center of gravity which helps driving in the snow.

I’ve had 5 winters in my Tesla P85 and can say the car drives really well in winter. I do not have air suspension but in Indiana... I haven’t really needed it.

It will be interesting to see if the Taycan has air suspension and what clearance is. I know most people are expecting the Porsche to be better than the Tesla but I think certain areas Porsche will be behind (battery mgmt) but will be ahead in terms of sporty driving. We shall see
Sponsored