Taycan Electric Sport Sound, does it really affect range?

Boss Hogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S, 981 GT4
Country flag
In "range mode" the headlights actually dim slightly to use less power.
I've noticed this too, would be better if they made this an option within range mode . I'd prefer to have the best lights at night regardless of drive mode.
Sponsored

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
I've noticed this too, would be better if they made this an option within range mode . I'd prefer to have the best lights at night regardless of drive mode.
I actually don't bother with range mode on my 4S – it never seemed to make a huge difference and the "switching off the passenger display in 5 secs" dialog just annoys my co-driver!

As I soon move to a Turbo S – maybe the range mode will make more sense?

JDNEPA

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
The tech expert at the dealership cautioned me that having the sound on will reduce range. I realize it takes some juice to run an amp and what amounts to some subwoofer action....but enough to really make much of a difference??? I'm quite skeptical. Any thoughts on that?
WAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ....this is funny.

I'm wondering if the dealer's tech guy correlated the sound being on with turning the mode switch to Sport Plus. ....less range with the sound. ...in this case he wouldn't be wrong, but it'd be kinda hilarious.....

Dr Monty

First Name
Monty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, BMW iX50, Audi
Country flag
The tech expert at the dealership cautioned me that having the sound on will reduce range. I realize it takes some juice to run an amp and what amounts to some subwoofer action....but enough to really make much of a difference??? I'm quite skeptical. Any thoughts on that? I actually like the sound. In fact, if I had it my way, when we first fire-up the car I'd love to hear a profound deep sinister bass akin to what the Ghostbuster's hear when they fire-up those backpacks, which are claimed to be small thermo nuclear devices. I'd also have a big-ass double arm levered switch (like the Hummer H2 has) that you push forward as if engaging some heavy juice. Gotta have some fun with it! Thoughts?
If you play Wagner loudly on the audio system it offsets any loss. Beethoven also works, Mozart less so.

Cooler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW
Country flag
I think all range saving discussion should be done in taking into account all saving methods. Meaning; sport sound itself wont effect range, but sport sound, passanger display, main display, headlights, radio, seat heating/cooling, rear seat heating/ac etc. all add ups and make an impact.

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
I think all range saving discussion should be done in taking into account all saving methods. Meaning; sport sound itself wont effect range, but sport sound, passanger display, main display, headlights, radio, seat heating/cooling, rear seat heating/ac etc. all add ups and make an impact.
Also, a 1 mph change in average speed.
All those factors apply to an ICE vehicle too, but probably aren't so prominent in people's minds- perhaps indicating generally greater anxiety about "filling up" an EV (at least, away from home).

Reactions: B61

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Regeneration, chassis height...
Those settings are not related to CarPlay.
Chassis height is set and it stands, I haven;t lost locations during uPdate at all.
type of regeneration needs to be selected every time when you start the car.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Of course, but we have all those features in our cars, so why bother?
I mean, who’d buy a “naked” taycan…

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I saved the weight of the faux sound gubbins by not selecting it so I’ll get a range gain :)
Mine came (or I should say "will come") as part of a bundle (package). I would be willing to trade sport sound and Bose for upgrade to the front motor and inverter (i.e. upgrade my Turbo to Turbo S drive train in exchange for sport sound+Bose), to be a good customer and help out with parts shortages. ;)

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
The tech expert at the dealership cautioned me that having the sound on will reduce range. I realize it takes some juice to run an amp and what amounts to some subwoofer action....but enough to really make much of a difference??? I'm quite skeptical. Any thoughts on that? I actually like the sound. In fact, if I had it my way, when we first fire-up the car I'd love to hear a profound deep sinister bass akin to what the Ghostbuster's hear when they fire-up those backpacks, which are claimed to be small thermo nuclear devices. I'd also have a big-ass double arm levered switch (like the Hummer H2 has) that you push forward as if engaging some heavy juice. Gotta have some fun with it! Thoughts?
Yes, the sport sound effect absolutely has an adverse impact on your range. Most heavy users see approximately an 18” - 24” range reduction which must be considered when charging via the sparse and over-subscribed Electrify America charging network.

• Haha
Reactions: B61

DANgerous

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
The sound is so cool that it makes me drive the car more, so definitely affects the range.

MarMiamiBeach

First Name
Marion
Threads
Reaction score
Website
2miami.com
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan + Porsche Macan
Country flag
With low confidence in my own mental calculation- if we assume the external speakers require 200w to achieve the rumbly sporty sound, that would be around 4 miles off a full charge.
I would not care about the range too much and just charge the car.
Sponsored