Taycan Exclusive Design Black vs. RS Spyder Design and effect on range

iten

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
Country flag
It's about time to replace the tires on my original 20"s, and I am considering upgrading my rims too. The dealer here is extremely anal about customers using non-standard equipment and loves to void warranty...so I only have two choices: Taycan Exclusive Design Black vs. RS Spyder Design

However, my question is, how much do the aero blades help with range? If it is negligible, why do all EVs have these ugly aero wheels? If it's only to make you upgrade to bigger rims, they could do that with ICE car too?

Since the 21s are forge and 20s are cast, shouldn't the 21s be similar weight or lighter and hence helping with range and not the opposite?

Lastly, in your opinion, which one looks better?

Thanks.

Porsche Taycan Taycan Exclusive Design Black vs. RS Spyder Design and effect on range Exclusive
Porsche Taycan Taycan Exclusive Design Black vs. RS Spyder Design and effect on range RS

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
The difference in range depends on the usage a lot. On long drives it is more due to aero drag and about town more due to inertia (rather than just weight).
In both cases the extra drag and inertia with 21" wheels will be due to tyre width and belt inertia than the wheel itself, so my advice is to go for the style you like best.

On the Porsche range calculator the difference between the 21" wheels is 1km in favour of the Exclusive design, which is my personal preference too but not worth bothering about.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
It's about time to replace the tires on my original 20"s, and I am considering upgrading my rims too. The dealer here is extremely anal about customers using non-standard equipment and loves to void warranty...so I only have two choices: Taycan Exclusive Design Black vs. RS Spyder Design

However, my question is, how much do the aero blades help with range? If it is negligible, why do all EVs have these ugly aero wheels? If it's only to make you upgrade to bigger rims, they could do that with ICE car too?

Since the 21s are forge and 20s are cast, shouldn't the 21s be similar weight or lighter and hence helping with range and not the opposite?

Lastly, in your opinion, which one looks better?

Thanks.

Exclusive.jpg
RS.jpg
Spyder - blades look 'odd' IMHO.

Range differences will be difficult to measure given the multitude of variable impacting.

Between your 2 choices I'd guess around 6 miles (all other things being equal) - i.e. not a material concern.

Play around with the range calculator - select the wheels etc - and get a feeling for what it might be,.

OP
OP

iten

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
Country flag
which is my personal preference too but not worth bothering about.
Did you end up getting the black one or the carbon ones? It seems the carbon is not very noticeable from a short distance...and the black gives a bit more contrast to my volcano grey....

The carbon is also a pain to repair...since I don't think the carbon blades can be bought as parts seperately?

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Did you end up getting the black one or the carbon ones? It seems the carbon is not very noticeable from a short distance...and the black gives a bit more contrast to my volcano grey....

The carbon is also a pain to repair...since I don't think the carbon blades can be bought as parts seperately?
I am getting Cross Turismo 21" wheels which have by far the styling I like best of all the Taycan wheels but you have to get a Cross Turismo!
If your objective in choosing a wheel is longer range only smaller makes much difference.
Sponsored