domin1720

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 macan gts
Country flag
The initial tweet was written by a "Tesla fanboy", clearly.
he asked for the same media coverage of Tesla's problems.
The only thing I read was someone asked why he tagged Tesla in it when it was a Porsche problem and he said something like " because Tesla is superior "
Sponsored

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Considering that he tagged Musk on the tweet, he seemed to be looking for attention.

Also, the headline of "Porsche Taycan Exploded in the garage" is click bait, since all we know is that it burned in a garage. An exploded car probably would have been all over the place.

Porsche and the local investigators are on the case, and hopefully they will quickly get to the root cause.

Nevadagame

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bentley Gt. C7 ZO6. Cayenne S. Panamera Turbo. Silverado 2500 Turbo Diesel
Country flag
I’m wondering if the cause is found to be a fault in the cars systems or battery, wouldn’t the owner be entitled to have the whole car replaced under the new car warranty? it makes sense to me that the car is now broken, and the warranty or to fix it.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I too am waiting for a formal response from Porsche. But I am not so overly concerned. Porsche did 6 million km of testing on the Taycan by June of 2019 so I really feel that there would not be any major issues here.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
As someone who's Tesla Roadster literally melted its entire battery pack when the Power Management unit failed and routed 240 right into the batteries in my garage I will say these things are VERY rare and the batteries are designed with all kinds of fault protection. My Roadster killed its battery completely but did not start any fire, and that is with 240v going right into the pack.

And these are the early designs. So I am not saying nothing will happen. I am saying odds are very low. I believe Tesla pushes their battery packs much harder and its more likely they would fail, and even then there has been SO FEW fires in all of the Teslas that have been made that its almost a blip. It just makes a good scare story.

GAS X

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Model Y
Country flag
Objection, your Honor. Mere speculation. Tesla fanboy has nothing to gain. But what about the people who want to scare you away from an electric vehicle? There are roughly 170,000 car fires per annum in the US and they are rarely (perhaps only locally) covered. Light up a Tesla or Taycan and it is worldwide news. US News reports Exxon made $129,000,000 per day in 2007. I've seen reports 5 oil companies made $375,000,000 per day in 2011 (the truth is out there). Money talks and if the oil companies can delay the onset of EVs just one more day that's a lot of dinero. Throw in the auto companies that have come along kicking and screaming (Bob Lutz et al) and there are far more reasons to highlight the dangers of EVs by those players (and others) than some Tesla fanboy.

One would think if you're driving an EV; have an EV ordered; or just see the future would be better/more fun with an EV then why bash a beautiful EV?

And the Taycan IS a beautiful car! Let's hope it and its ilk succeed big time!

JMHO

BenJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
If I totally agree on your whole post (I’m waiting for my 4S !), I say another time, the initial tweet was clearly Tesla oriented. I checked all his tweets and it was ... disgusting. The only thing he wanted to say was Tesla is superior to Taycan.

if I say that, it’s just to give a better overview of this situation and maybe understand why Porsche asks to close this account.

Of course, this situation is not good for Tesla either but I’m not sure everyone can understand that, especially on social networks.

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
Can anyone 100% verify that this is actually true. Any official Porsche statement on there website? Is smell something fishy.

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
I’d assume the insurance company will initially investigate this and determine the cause. If that cause lands with the car, Porsche will need to investigate etc. I feel another delay coming on.

WinterCharm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
981.1 Cayman S, Acura TLX, Model 3 RWD LR, Taycan 4S (awaiting delivery)
Country flag
The charring on the wall suggests this was a fire started by the wiring for the charger, and *not* the car or battery pack itself. If it was the battery pack that had gone up in flames, you'd see a bright white powder (Lithium Hydroxide and Lithium Oxide are both white powders) coating the floor, wheels, and lower parts of the wall in the garage. Lithium Hydroxides and Lithium Oxides are natural byproducts formed when Lithium burns... The Oxide comes from the oxygen in the air, and the Hydroxide is from moisture (water) in the air.

Furthermore, it sounds like the fire was put out rather quickly. That's generally not the case for Lithium fires (which are accelerated by water, and therefore, can burn a very long time). These two things together suggest it was't the pack itself that caught fire, nor did the pack explode during the fire it was exposed to... the aluminum elements of the frame definitely melted though.

As to what might have caused the fire, we need to wait for a Fire Marshall report or Fire Investigator report. But my bet is on human error with the wiring in the house, vs the amount of current drawn by the wall charger. It's possible the wiring for the charger was done incorrectly, or that there was some old outdated wiring in the house that couldn't support the current drawn... That's far more likely than a pack spontaneously exploding, or the actual wall charger (which is designed for those currents) itself causing a fire.

It does look like a Taycan, though, which is really unfortunate. I'm happy to hear no one was hurt, but my heart goes out to the person who owned that Taycan :(
Sponsored

Last edited: