daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
5G cell phone towers tried to direct an OTA update to the car - it burst into the flames - and that’s why the latest OTA update is now done at the dealers.

cause ya’know - 5G (which is alien technology from Roswell) - so @Reg is mostly right but not on the correct details.
Sponsored

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
These jokes are hilarious, but I’d still like to know what the cause of the fire was. Does no one else care?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I care deeply - honestly - but I doubt we'll ever hear.

Brassfactory

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
A hazard of the digital age: we care deeply about the business of people we’ll never meet and the internet just can’t keep up with our need to know.

On the bright side: when a product is put out to thousands of people you find out pretty quickly if it kills a significant portion of them.

No news is good news.

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
These jokes are hilarious, but I’d still like to know what the cause of the fire was. Does no one else care?
I think we all care, but there is obviously no news, and I am not even sure there is some "solid" rumor speculation (e.g. I heard from a friend who knows the guy that...). But since there are no recalls or other things like that, it doesn't appear systemic.

HelfFL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
It was almost certainly an incorrectly installed charger. End of story.
Unfortunately not. From the "friend who knows a guy that knows . . . " said no charger was installed yet - car was only a home a day or two. But we'll never find out the whole story as the lawyers and insurance companies got involved and a confidential settlement will be reached if not done already.

SFEVER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S, Hyundai Kona EV, Ducati SFV4S
Country flag
Unfortunately not. From the "friend who knows a guy that knows . . . " said no charger was installed yet - car was only a home a day or two. But we'll never find out the whole story as the lawyers and insurance companies got involved and a confidential settlement will be reached if not done already.
Maybe they installed after market cameras or radar and the 800v systems fried the electronics we will never know.... But we do know as we always have it’s possible to incinerate your car ANY car if you mess with it and Sh&$ happens

HelfFL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Maybe they installed after market cameras or radar and the 800v systems fried the electronics we will never know.... But we do know as we always have it’s possible to incinerate your car ANY car if you mess with it and Sh&$ happens
I sure hope Sh@$ doesn't happen with mine - I'm set to have a radar/laser detection system installed in a few weeks.

SFEVER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S, Hyundai Kona EV, Ducati SFV4S
Country flag
I sure hope Sh@$ doesn't happen with mine - I'm set to have a radar/laser detection system installed in a few weeks.
I’ve always had same installed on my cars even my Teslas but not this time or at least not just yet as the draw on power (12V) when not in use Like over night or parked seems to have issues with EVs in the VW group

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Bullshit. I'll put money down the owner tried to install his own charger (or outlet or whatever), and screwed up. If a Taycan started on fire of it's own accord an insurance company wouldn't cover it up and Porsche & other agencies would have started an investigation. There'd be no hiding it, especially after images got out.

Now the owner is probably telling a different story, sure, because insurance isn't going to cover an accident that was caused by willfully violating fire codes. The old "but Rennlist had great instructions for installing it myself!" excuse doesn't fly great when you destroyed a $150k+ car.

Your friend of a friend of a guy of a friend is telling a story that conveniently can't be proven true, because it's not.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Insurance pays out regardless of root cause - unless there is fraud - building code violations are not a reason to deny coverage - that would be like Track Insurance that didn't pay out because of driver error.

Owner errors like that are the risk the insurance company assumes as part of the policy - and they have data that leads them to believe it's just fine and acceptable risk.

Picture if insurance didn't pay out because of a cooking fire, normally user error - yeah it happens, it's why we have insurance - and they adjust the premiums to reflect such risk.

Last edited:

KerbMonster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
?
Country flag
Not so over here. Insurance is to cover unforeseen events. Adding a high amp charger circuitry that’s not been certified or installed by a qualified person that subsequently causes a major fire then you are on your own.

But there are two insurances at play here...
The house insurance and the car insurance.
The car insurance will likely pay out but the home insurance would be questionable.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
Well, I am not supposed to say anything, but all the Taycan’s are spontaneously combusting and Porsche just covers it up. They just send you new ones. I am on my third one now. I knew I should have gotten a Tesla!

But I may have said too much....

Last edited:

funnynardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
i believe it is due to the lg chem pouch batteries, just like the ones in the hyundai kona and chevrolet bolt. thats just my guess though
Sponsored