Taycan for winter holiday

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
It would really interest me to see some (European) reports of owners taking their Taycan on a long winter trip to go skiing.

I saw a lot of summer trip reports, that is really good info but I was wondering about the specific challenges during winter.

Any reports on the range loss when using a roof box? Would the Porsche performance box be of added value to the range with its better aerodynamics? Or a Thule Vector? Numbers are really variable depending on speed and temperature but also aerodynamics of the box.

What is the typical range between charge stops (10-80 % SOC) at 120-130 km/h and around 0 deg Celsius ? Do you prefer to just go as fast as possible on the autobahn / peage and charge a bit more. Or set ACC at 110 and do some relaxed cruising (with less charging)

If it is not positive to charge at the hotel, I guess a lot of range is lost preheating the car every morning and driving 3 km to the slopes. Probably better to look for a charger and charge it to 100% after arriving in the village to cover the week.

And when driving to Austria it shoukd be better to go through Germany than through France (same distance from Belgium) with more available fast chargers.

Any other additional insight would be really welcome!

I will probably figure out a lot my self once I have it in March.
Sponsored

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 E63S Estate, 2023 A45S
Country flag
Not only more chargers, you can also drive faster on some unlimited autobahns… without landing in jail !

OP
OP
McgR

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Not only more chargers, you can also drive faster on some unlimited autobahns… without landing in jail !
Yes that correct. But I think the effect on the range with a roof box will be disastrous.

I will do some high speed cruising through Germany in the summer.

satchurator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 CT4
Country flag
There has been a fair bit of discussion already on roof box range impact. I have the Porsche Performance Roof Box, Thule wingbars and a CT4 - and am prepping for my first longer road trips since taking delivery. I’ve been using A Better Route Planner to model out my stops - it can account for different configurations of your car (like added roofbox).

I wonder if @tigerbalm is a skier? A European skiing grand tour log would be epic!

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
I am planning the following trip leaving Dec 27:

Dublin (via ferry) -> UK -> Netherlands (via ferry – due to French border effectively closed) -> Germany -> Denmark -> Norway (via ferry) -> Sweden -> and back.

With rules tightening with pandemic – its for sure very uncertain if my co-driver and I will be able to go. But if the rules allow it – we'll go – and document the trip in similar format to summer - this time planning a lot more video too.

Created a YouTube channel last week in anticipation of that aspect of it – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgNdg1hsoyIntPjAQgz14eg – to host longer and higher quality video's than last time.

Its been in the works for a long while: https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/western-europe-taycan-road-trip-report.6491/post-95581

OP
OP
McgR

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
There has been a fair bit of discussion already on roof box range impact. I have the Porsche Performance Roof Box, Thule wingbars and a CT4 - and am prepping for my first longer road trips since taking delivery. I’ve been using A Better Route Planner to model out my stops - it can account for different configurations of your car (like added roofbox).

I wonder if @tigerbalm is a skier? A European skiing grand tour log would be epic!
Thx ! Do you use the pro version if ABRP to included a roofbox ?
Would be interesting if you could share the range during your trip with a box and cold temperatures and compare it with the range you had last month for example.

I also ordered a CT 4 and I am wondering if the performance roof box is worth the difference with for example a Thule XT L box. I am also considering a Thule vector M box. But that is even more expensive the the Porsche. The potential gained range seems to come from the teardrop shape of the box.

Looks like the Porsche performance is Made by Thule. Same locking mechanisme anyway.

OP
OP
McgR

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
I am planning the following trip leaving Dec 27:

Dublin (via ferry) -> UK -> Netherlands (via ferry – due to French border effectively closed) -> Germany -> Denmark -> Norway (via ferry) -> Sweden -> and back.

With rules tightening with pandemic – its for sure very uncertain if my co-driver and I will be able to go. But if the rules allow it – we'll go – and document the trip in similar format to summer - this time planning a lot more video too.

Created a YouTube channel last week in anticipation of that aspect of it – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgNdg1hsoyIntPjAQgz14eg – to host longer and higher quality video's than last time.

Its been in the works for a long while: https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/western-europe-taycan-road-trip-report.6491/post-95581
Just watched the parking video on your channel. Good that you have a right hand drive. Tight parking.

Could you comment on the other functions included in the auto parking function. Rear traffic alert and exit alert?

Looking forward to your review of the trip to Scandinavia. I liked the one in Ireland.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Could you comment on the other functions included in the auto parking function. Rear traffic alert and exit alert?
Rear traffic alert is the best part of this set of options in my opinion. When reversing out of a parking spot (or driveway) where it is difficult to see traffic passing behind you (either vehicles, bicycles or people) the car will try and detect them. If it does, it will: show the direction of the traffic and a warning on the PCM screen layered onto the reversing camera screen.

It isn't something that you'd 100% rely on – its just a genuine driver assistance function to help you out in challenging situations.

The "exit alert" is similar but applies when you are moving forward and you are at a blind junction and nudging yourself forward to see if there is traffic going in your direction from left or right.

Both functions use dedicated long-range ultrasonic sensors – similar to the ones that guide you parking – but they look right and left at a long range when doing slow maneuvers.

Additionally when opening the car doors (any four of them) if there is a bicycle, car or motorbike coming along behind you that you might open the door on – it will immediately sound an alarm and flash a red light – located near the seat memory buttons – to warn you.

None of these options are in themselves – super amazing – but I actually find the reversing assistance a lot of help day-to-day – more so than the auto-park that gets all the attention on the configurator.

OP
OP
McgR

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Rear traffic alert is the best part of this set of options in my opinion. When reversing out of a parking spot (or driveway) where it is difficult to see traffic passing behind you (either vehicles, bicycles or people) the car will try and detect them. If it does, it will: show the direction of the traffic and a warning on the PCM screen layered onto the reversing camera screen.

It isn't something that you'd 100% rely on – its just a genuine driver assistance function to help you out in challenging situations.

The "exit alert" is similar but applies when you are moving forward and you are at a blind junction and nudging yourself forward to see if there is traffic going in your direction from left or right.

Both functions use dedicated long-range ultrasonic sensors – similar to the ones that guide you parking – but they look right and left at a long range when doing slow maneuvers.

Additionally when opening the car doors (any four of them) if there is a bicycle, car or motorbike coming along behind you that you might open the door on – it will immediately sound an alarm and flash a red light – located near the seat memory buttons – to warn you.

None of these options are in themselves – super amazing – but I actually find the reversing assistance a lot of help day-to-day – more so than the auto-park that gets all the attention on the configurator.
Thx for confirming. That’s exactly what I was thinking and why I would take it. I had something similar on my X5. Really helpful when reversing on a parking lot or exiting a narrow street. Our 26.000 euro Mazda 3 has all the same options too. I think most of them are even standard. The options on my Taycan are more expensive than the Mazda 3.

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
I live in Denver, and do a lot of winter driving in the mountains in my '21 4s. I have Pirelli winters tires on my vehicles. Last November I drove across the Rocky Mountains with a 45lb e-mountain bike on my roof and recorded efficiency in winters temps. It gave me details on how the car performed with altered aerodynamics and in the cold.

Just a word of advice - cold and and a large bike, or box, on top of the vehicle will kill efficiency. I would recommend charging an extra 10kW as a buffer at every charge stop just to add a little buffer.

I can't give you details about driving through the Alps, but driving through the Rockies in Colorado is more elevation gain than what you see in Europe. I did provide some feedback on my drive last year, so check out the link below:

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...d-cold-temps-efficiency-info.3152/#post-43463
Sponsored