First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD 2022
Country flag
Hi,
My taycan with burmester optioned will arrive in 2 weeks.

meanwhile I am owning a AK SP2000 high end audio player. It has superior audio quality. It has a usb audio mode that can ouput the audio from player’s USB-C port in PCM audio format.

I am wondering if connect the player’s USB-C with taycan’s USB-C port, is it possible to feed taycan’s burmester with audio played from my AK SP2000?

anyone has any comments on it?
Sponsored

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
I have the Burmester. If it can present a "mass storage device" interface over USB-C – then I think it would work fine. However, I don't think it will take audio input from the device, it would be more likely to just read the audio files from the device, and decode and pass through its own DAC – effectively treating it as a hard disk type device.

I don't think you can stream analogue or PCM audio into the Burmester (or Bose) via USB-C and bypass the internal DAC.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If you check out the Good To Know app - in the technical data sections – there is a fairly comprehensive section on the audio formats supported.

I see nothing supporting PCM input.

OP
OP
xqdong

xqdong

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD 2022
Country flag
I have the Burmester. If it can present a "mass storage device" interface over USB-C – then I think it would work fine. However, I don't think it will take audio input from the device, it would be more likely to just read the audio files from the device, and decode and pass through its own DAC – effectively treating it as a hard disk type device.

I don't think you can stream analogue or PCM audio into the Burmester (or Bose) via USB-C and bypass the internal DAC.
Thanks for explain. But PCM is not analogue input, it is digital audio, it will be used to feed DAC in the car. Am I right?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Thanks for explain. But PCM is not analogue input, it is digital audio, it will be used to feed DAC in the car. Am I right?
Read @tigerbalm post again - PCM (digital) or analogue.

I think the answer is most likely "not possible".

Take your device to a dealer and try it out if still not convinced.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
What is the format and quality of the source sound files that you have on your player? The maximum that the DAC in the Taycan can handle is 320 kbit/s at 48 kHz sampling frequency. If your sound files are at a higher rate they'll be downsampled by the built-in DAC.

I am fairly sure it cannot take in a PCM input directly.

I am 99% sure that you'll be better of just putting your sound files on a USC-C stick and playing from that. It works well and will sounds great.

FWIW – I mostly stream Apple Music Lossless from iPhone via CarPlay and it sounds great. CarPlay's maximum capability is 16-bit at 48 kHz (slightly better than the original CD format).

The Taycan PCM can read a wide variety of music formats: MP3, WM9, WM10, MP4, FLAC, AAC.

If you want me to try play any sample files on my Burmester – happy to help.

OP
OP
xqdong

xqdong

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD 2022
Country flag
What is the format and quality of the source sound files that you have on your player? The maximum that the DAC in the Taycan can handle is 320 kbit/s at 48 kHz sampling frequency. If your sound files are at a higher rate they'll be downsampled by the built-in DAC.

I am fairly sure it cannot take in a PCM input directly.

I am 99% sure that you'll be better of just putting your sound files on a USC-C stick and playing from that. It works well and will sounds great.

FWIW – I mostly stream Apple Music Lossless from iPhone via CarPlay and it sounds great. CarPlay's maximum capability is 16-bit at 48 kHz (slightly better than the original CD format).

The Taycan PCM can read a wide variety of music formats: MP3, WM9, WM10, MP4, FLAC, AAC.

If you want me to try play any sample files on my Burmester – happy to help.
The sound quality is CD level, so 16 bit, 44khz flac file. It should be OK for built-in DAC from capability point of view.

I got your point, actually I tend to agree with you that probably only possibility is just read the device as a mass storage device. But just today, I heard from another taycan owner that he has been using ipod, and linked to the taycan with a USB cable, and can successfully play the music on ipod, but burmester will have the sound out. I guess that's the similiar that ipod will feed PCM to taycan?

Anyway, let me test it when my car arrived in 2 weeks and come back to this thread to report the test result. Thank you for your patient comments!

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I guess that's the similiar that ipod will feed PCM to taycan?
The Taycan PCM has a "legacy" iPod mode where it can act as a early 2000's style iPod accessory. Even when you connect an iPhone, you get a choice if you want CarPlay or treat it as an iPod.

I'm not sure what the protocols are when in this mode – perhaps it is PCM.

Why would you want this mode? If you just didn't like CarPlay and wanted to always stay in the PCM interface – this is the mode for you.

Olav

First Name
Olav
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo
Country flag
I highly recommend getting the usb-c memory drive option. Sound quality is fantastic. The biggest issues is ripping my old cd's to flac. It is some work, but so worth it when you listen in your Taycan :D

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I have Burmester and used the usb-c option initially and of course the sound was terrific. I switched a couple months ago to Apple lossless because I played a number of pieces on both Apple and usb-c and could not tell the difference. My hearing is not the best, so I'm sure there are others that could offer a more accurate assessment. But for me, I'm using Apple.

The only issue I have is if I use CarPlay, I can't get the music list on my 'Media' screen on the dash. If I go directly to the iPhone Apple music, the rhs dash display shows my library lists and I can scroll and pick with the rh wheel. I also like going directly to the iPhone Apple Music because they create lists based on my listening history/preferences.

Ross Dale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, 991 4S Cabriolet, Volvo XC90 T8
Country flag
Hi David, I was wondering if you took delivery of your Taycan yet and if so, if you managed to hook up the AK? I have an AK SE200 but it does not work with a USB-c cable and via BT it is spotty.

OP
OP
xqdong

xqdong

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD 2022
Country flag
Hi David, I was wondering if you took delivery of your Taycan yet and if so, if you managed to hook up the AK? I have an AK SE200 but it does not work with a USB-c cable and via BT it is spotty.
Hi, yes I got my taycan and unfortunately, AK doesn’t work with my car. I already sold out my AK.
Sponsored