Skilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Reminder what you said. ‘Work through a broker to avoid double tax.’ Using a broker to sell the car on isn’t necessary and doesn’t avoid anything. The next buyer will still pay taxes.
dude....a broker does not pay tax. And, the lease can be purchased out by anyone. 1 tax liability; not 2.

your immediate response from what I originally explained:

How does a broker avoid the double tax? The OP would pay tax when he buys the car and the next owner would pay tax when they bought it from the broker. Running it through a broker doesn’t avoid double tax.
This says it all...love this line in particular "The OP would pay tax when he buys the car and the next owner would pay tax when they bought it from the broker. "
Sponsored

Skilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
got regrettably sidetracked...

That said, for those that find this option a potential that might help, here are the states that Porsche Financial is required to collect taxes for:

AZ, CT, FL, HI, ID, ME, MI, MS, NV, NJ, NY, TN, WA

I think the OP is in WA so this might be a problem to play this out. Just 13 states called out for a required tax collection regardless. Frankly, Im shocked that CA isn't on the list given how punitive their tax set up is for vehicle purchases.

It's probably worth seeing how the tax is collected in your state if its listed. If Porsche is required to sell you the car and no other for collecting the tax, this doesn't work. If they can sell it to a reseller, the tax may be recoverable.

With the market today, it might be worth checking if you have a broker that you trust.

Last edited: