f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Not at all. Taycan is rock solid, and PDCC is the system that is for horizontal equalization on the sides of the car.
I know what PDCC is for and I know how it works.
On the straights the ARB is effectively disconnected thereby reducing the single wheel rate. This will give a smoother ride, the question I am interested by is, will it be enough smoother to notice or not.
The improvement with lat ac and in transient I know about.

Did you not notice a difference or were you just not feeling for one because you didn't expect it?
Sponsored

Bognar67

First Name
Janos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
T M3P 2019, Taycan GTS 2022, i4 40 MS 2024
Country flag
Technology should help/save us ... and if it happens once in a life time, it's good to have and all costs are justified.
I didn't use/need ABS for years... would one buy a car without that?

My $0.02
it will not save you from anything. It is far not a safety feature. On the other side maybe. Since body roll is limited you will drive faster in corners but finally the tires and suspension will do the works.
We got use to body roll, without it we could feel ourselves Niki Lauda and will be surprised when the tires are giving up...

Bognar67

First Name
Janos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I know what PDCC is for and I know how it works.
On the straights the ARB is effectively disconnected thereby reducing the single wheel rate. This will give a smoother ride, the question I am interested by is, will it be enough smoother to notice or not.
The improvement with lat ac and in transient I know about.

Did you not notice a difference or were you just not feeling for one because you didn't expect it?
See my answer first sentence.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Did the car with PDCC have a worthwhile smoother ride on the straight bits?
For me that is a bigger attraction for the system than a small reduction in roll angle.
PDCC controls / stabilises lateral roll on both even and uneven surfaces during cornering only so don't see how that would have any impact on the straight and narrow?

Bognar67

First Name
Janos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Shame, that should be the biggest benefit most of the time :(
I think air suspension and adaptive damping masks out this potential advantage but the best if you test drive both that is not easy taken the limited nr of test cars. On the other hand with high limit budget I would add it as a tech fun.

Plus have no idea about the GTS suspension tune, I drove Turbo S-s.

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S1, Porsche Taycan ST GTS
Country flag
Also note that, on GTS torque vectoring is standard, that adds more, not to talk about RWS that is also adding a lot to the driving dynamics.
PDCC would be the last to add, especially low riding BEVs.
That was my view - torque vectoring included and I have added rear wheel steering. Only if I get the chance to test with/without PDCC and notice a significant difference will I add this to my build.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
PDCC controls / stabilises lateral roll on both even and uneven surfaces during cornering only so don't see how that would have any impact on the straight and narrow?
When the sensors know you are not cornering the actuator disconnects the anti roll bars (I believe) since a significant part of the wheel rate in single wheel bump is due to the anti roll bar having it disconnected on straights will improve the ride.

First thing I need to check is that it does actually disconnect the 'bars when not needed, I shall have a word with my friend about it - he is a driver so may not know but will certainly know who I can maybe talk to about it. I don't think sales people are fully briefed on technical details.

If it doesn't I shall remove it from my spec since I am sure I am not a good enough driver to feel the difference in cornering. More nice to have clever engineering on my car :)

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
When the sensors know you are not cornering the actuator disconnects the anti roll bars (I believe) since a significant part of the wheel rate in single wheel bump is due to the anti roll bar having it disconnected on straights will improve the ride.

First thing I need to check is that it does actually disconnect the 'bars when not needed, I shall have a word with my friend about it - he is a driver so may not know but will certainly know who I can maybe talk to about it. I don't think sales people are fully briefed on technical details.

If it doesn't I shall remove it from my spec since I am sure I am not a good enough driver to feel the difference in cornering. More nice to have clever engineering on my car :)
I get that but when the ARB is disconnected is that not just the same as not having it at all and therefore no difference on the straight with or without PDCC (you can easily tell I'm nae Engineer)?

Sales folk are least likely to have a definitive answer (apologies to the rare ones out there who do actually know what they are talking about). One of the guys at PEC Silverstone will surely know.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
@Bognar67 : i’m not an engineer…so i can just talk about my feelings, compared with other cars that i was driving (on the same roads) before Taycan.
On the other hand, as far as I know, @f1eng is well known engineer (Formula 1), so I believe that you can disscous that in more details with him.
also, it’s hard to believe that Porsche would make such an option without any purpose, without any impact on (daily) driving as well.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I get that but when the ARB is disconnected is that not just the same as not having it at all and therefore no difference on the straight with or without PDCC (you can easily tell I'm nae Engineer)?
It would be, but a standard Taycan must have anti-roll bars which will never be disconnected on the straight so will increase the suspension stiffness for bumps.

bangersandmash

First Name
bib
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Alpina B3S, Opel Corsa electric
Country flag
Had my Taycan a year, with PDCC and all other performance options, I would spec it on a rally car. I drove one without and I felt the difference most over 80 miles per hr. slower speeds the car was fine

It felt more nervie and unsettled. I would much rather spec it, rather than stack it

Bognar67

First Name
Janos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@Bognar67 : i’m not an engineer…so i can just talk about my feelings, compared with other cars that i was driving (on the same roads) before Taycan.
On the other hand, as far as I know, @f1eng is well known engineer (Formula 1), so I believe that you can disscous that in more details with him.
also, it’s hard to believe that Porsche would make such an option without any purpose, without any impact on (daily) driving as well.
It has a purpose but not safety first case. It has an impact but value per money not huge for me. Read what I wrote.
I would happily ✅ all the performance boxes, every option is with a reason. But…

F1 has no:
- ABS
- ESC
- TC
- Active suspension
Nothing we talk about heir. ?
(I am a German racing car licence person by Porsche)
Porsche Taycan Taycan GTS - to PDCC or not? 3765274E-9F3D-4E6B-9D4D-03793C7CFB7F

Last edited:

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
F1 has no:
- ABS
- ESC
- TC
- Active suspension
We did try ABS until it got banned (I did a development programme with Michael Schumacher) we had very effective traction control too and car settings which I could programme to be different on different parts of the circuit but these got banned. I was responsible for the Williams F1 active suspension which won a few races.

I know what PDCC does technically, just not how it feels on a Taycan.

I would like to talk to an engineer about it. IME drivers, even the best and I have worked with several World Champions as well as lots of outstanding ones, don't understand how the car works but the best of them are able to explain what is happening so the person who designed the car can understand what might be causing it.

It was probably foolish of me to expect the sort of feedback I am used to from an internet forum.

Bognar67

First Name
Janos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
We did try ABS until it got banned (I did a development programme with Michael Schumacher) we had very effective traction control too and car settings which I could programme to be different on different parts of the circuit but these got banned. I was responsible for the Williams F1 active suspension which won a few races.

I know what PDCC does technically, just not how it feels on a Taycan.

I would like to talk to an engineer about it. IME drivers, even the best and I have worked with several World Champions as well as lots of outstanding ones, don't understand how the car works but the best of them are able to explain what is happening so the person who designed the car can understand what might be causing it.

It was probably foolish of me to expect the sort of feedback I am used to from an internet forum.
I know, I know... You do not get the sarcasm of it although emoji is there.

Just shared my experience with the OP that is it. Forums to collect information and pick up what you want. I am sure you are a fantastic engineer, and more.

OP asked value per money information PDCC, I shared, that is all. As I see people come with preconceptions and only want to see verifications. As soon as see opposite become nervous. So why make a question if not interested pro/con....

I have close relationship with Porsche, have approach to track tests road tests all the models and have access to Porsche factory engineers. Informed well with future things, see my posts on GTS as date of introduction, kW etc.

But will be quite from now on for sure, that is what I've learnt.
Sponsored

Last edited: