Skier

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I have 19" wheels. That's the interesting thing. Tbh I don't think that really matters that much to the noise. It's more about the width of the wheel which is the same regardless of how thick the rubber is? The noise is clearly mainly coming from the rear which supports my tire width theory. And Taycan has quite wide rear wheels.

In anycase, I'm not completely sure if I'm simply bothered by the noise because there is not much other noise, or if the overall noise level is actually higher than in my ICE car. Would need to check the decibels and I'm tempted to do just that. Otherwise it's just speculation and feeling.

Finally, keep in mind different tires have different noise levels even if they are the same size. Some tires are quieter than others. Just for reference mine are Continental Premium contact 6.
Free decibel meters are available for you cell phone. Stop wondering and measure the sound levels for comparison.
Sponsored

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
@Singularity I thought the 19" rear was more of a difference from the 20" but you are correct, 20" is only 10mm wider in the rear, the front is 20mm wider though. The 21" is then 20mm wider front and rear, they're huge for an EV and large for any car.

Front and rear sizes:
  • 19" 225/55, 275/45
  • 20" 245/45, 285/40
  • 21" 265/35, 305/30

Do you have double pane glass?
BTW Bjorn Nyland had rated the Taycan 4S with 20" tires for sound third place for EVs under the Mercedes EQC and the Audi eTron.
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...-interior-noise-level-test-bjorn-nyland.1381/

Singularity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY 2020 Taycan 4S, MY 2022 Audi Q7 60 TFSIe
Country flag
Will do the decibel comparison soon. Didn't realize I could do that with my phone that easily.

As for the glass, my 4S has the basic default glass.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
This is another topic entirely but the #1 negative thing with the Taycan is in my short term experience the tire noise. It's actually overall a noisier car than my ICE A7 at highway speeds (I believe). Which was surprising to me tbh. Might test it further.
The A7 is a very quiet car at highway speeds, under 65 decibels, so that's not too surprising. The A7 is even quieter than a Panamera Turbo on the highway.

Sound insulation is very heavy and they had to cut as much weight from the Taycan as possible with the heavy batteries. There's a good article floating around about it.

Engine noise in a luxury sedan at highway speeds is easily insulated and really not noticeable. It's around town that the car is significantly quieter & more comfortable, IMO.

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
The A7 is a very quiet car at highway speeds, under 65 decibels, so that's not too surprising. The A7 is even quieter than a Panamera Turbo on the highway.

Sound insulation is very heavy and they had to cut as much weight from the Taycan as possible with the heavy batteries. There's a good article floating around about it.

Engine noise in a luxury sedan at highway speeds is easily insulated and really not noticeable. It's around town that the car is significantly quieter & more comfortable, IMO.
I meant that the Bose stereo is loud. The car is whisper quiet.

Skystorm

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS
Country flag
I have 19" wheels. That's the interesting thing. Tbh I don't think that really matters that much to the noise. It's more about the width of the wheel which is the same regardless of how thick the rubber is? The noise is clearly mainly coming from the rear which supports my tire width theory. And Taycan has quite wide rear wheels.

In anycase, I'm not completely sure if I'm simply bothered by the noise because there is not much other noise, or if the overall noise level is actually higher than in my ICE car. Would need to check the decibels and I'm tempted to do just that. Otherwise it's just speculation and feeling.

Finally, keep in mind different tires have different noise levels even if they are the same size. Some tires are quieter than others. Just for reference mine are Continental Premium contact 6.
I have 20” winter Tires and they are much less sound then my 21” summer tires..

Singularity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY 2020 Taycan 4S, MY 2022 Audi Q7 60 TFSIe
Country flag
Winter tires are usually much quieter than summer tires. Unless the winter tires are studded, in that case they are noisier.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I just sat in the car for 45 minutes listening to music - the Bose system is quite good in this car - I've owned a lot of cars - I'll venture this is the best car audio system I've experienced - it's just so good - and the audio separation between the speakers is soooo definitive…the Burmaster system must be outstanding, but I'm quite pleased with the Bose system - it clearly better than most car audio systems…is it the best? I'll argue it simply doesn't matter…it more than good enough, and really quite excellent.

Tay Tay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Loving him is like driving a new Maserati down a dead-end street
Country flag
Just to add a counterpoint as a warning to anyone reading this thread and thinking Bose will be good enough without trying it. Just listened to my favorite Tay Tay songs on the Taycan Bose system and it's only marginally better than on other Porsches. Bass was just as boomy, and this just kills the whole experience (yes, Linear was on). Treble was acceptable, if lacking some nuance. There's a coloration which might have been intentional (some might enjoy it, maybe that's why @daveo4EV likes it so much). Soundstage was small as expected, but stereo separation was good.

rstr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
I’ve listened to Bose speaker systems many times and personally - I’m not a fan. It seems to me that Bose isn’t able to process and reflect well some sound frequencies. E.g. the bass is always boomy and not “warm” as in Bang&Olufsen sound systems from e.g. Audi. But that’s my personal opinion and that’s why I chose Burmester.

The thing that possibly is worth to be pointed is the Bose speakers quality. Maybe it’s different in Taycan, but as it could be seen on various YouTube videos - in other Porsche models the “upgraded Bose speakers” after getting to them physically seem to be just cheap, not so high quality Made in China speakers...

Also it’s worth to point that Taycan custom Bose audio system is indeed custom. But from as far as I know it’s custom due to the Porsche requirement of minimal power consumption and not the custom-improved sound quality.

Cubemark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW Z4, Honda E, Defender 90 Hardtop
Country flag
I have 19" Aero Wheels, Acoustic glass and terrible terrible Bose 'HiFi'. No bass at all. Turned up to max on the equaliser and you still can't hear a kick drum or follow a bass line on guitar, with Bass Booster on iPhone selected too. It is without doubt the worst in car HiFi I have heard in years and years! Save your cash or go all in but avoid the Bose.

proficient_mathematician

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I just sat in the car for 45 minutes listening to music - the Bose system is quite good in this car - I've owned a lot of cars - I'll venture this is the best car audio system I've experienced
It is without doubt the worst in car HiFi I have heard in years and years! Save your cash or go all in but avoid the Bose.
How can the same sound system elicit such opposing viewpoints? I can’t wait to test this best most horrible sound system in person when my car arrives. o_O

Cubemark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW Z4, Honda E, Defender 90 Hardtop
Country flag
I guess its good for Mantovani :CWL:

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
How can the same sound system elicit such opposing viewpoints? I can’t wait to test this best most horrible sound system in person when my car arrives. o_O
Maybe reflects the style and quality of the source material?
Also the chosen settings- e.g. over-boosting frequency bands in the hope of gaining clarity is a recipe for frustration.
Personally, I'm indifferent to Taycan Bose- it's OK, but nothing special.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
I think it depends what somebody expects.

Back in my time trying to get good sound in my car most cars stereo places demonstrated the most appalling systems usually with a loud resonating bass box which was only capable of playIng one bass note loudly, regardless of whether it was a kick drum or a bass guitar on the recording and if it was a symphony orchestra it was literally hilariously bad.

I often hear a car drive by with a sound system that sounds like somebody is kicking a cardboard box in the back, often loud enough to hear a couple of hundred yards away.
A lot of people must want this and think it in some way good.

IME realistic bass in a car disappears, masked by road rumble, as soon as you get going. It is quite shocking to be listening to something good and then find the bass in the music is inaudible when you are driving.

I gave up on ever getting high fidelity sound in a car 20 years ago.
Sponsored