Taycan information direct from Zuffenhausen plant tour

SHN

First Name
Svein Halvard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+, Tesla Model S (for sale)
Country flag
I joined a tour at Zuffenhausen last Thursday together with 20 Norwegians. We were the third group of Norwegian last week. The factory tours will be available from March.

Thought I would give you some updates on subjects that we have discussed on this forum, that we picked up at the factory.

Production capacity
Currently Porsche is working two shifts, but they are not up to full speed. Porsche assumes that they will reach full capacity with two shifts in the fall, and they will have the ability to have a third shift.

Glass roof and aluminum roof
We saw production of Taycans with glass roof and aluminum roof. Porsche representative we spoke to did not know why US customers don’t get aluminum roof after June.

4S
We saw production of 4S together with TTS and TT. Doesn’t seem they have stopped the production for 4S (according to reported delays of 4S.)

Engine/Drive unit
The engine/drive unit for TTS, TT and 4S is the same. It’s SW tuned. In theory you could upgrade 4S to have same spec as the TTS and TT.

Wireless charging
Wireless charging of the car was delayed because of a factory that burned down. However, it is possible to retrofit wireless charging. Then you have to mount some extra HW.

Glacier Ice Blue light
A Porsche representative at Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur told me that it is not possible to customize the back light and the Ice Blue Porsche logo to light up in blue, nor the “print board” like in the video of CT. However, they can customize everything that is technical possible (for an exclusive price tag;)).

Cross Turismo
Porsche did not say anything of the Cross Tirisimo, but we saw one covered, and we accidental saw an uncovered body outside the Paint Shop, when our bus passed by.

Paint shop (updated)
All paint jobs are done in the Paint Shop at Zuffenhausen. Cars are not transported to other locations for paint jobs (rumors on the forums said that there were issues with the paint job and Porsche had to transport the cars to other locations. Not true)
The robots that paint the cars have paint patrons that contains exactly enough paint for one car. They chance patrons before each car, Manning they can paint cars in sequence in different color.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Engine/drive-unit defenately not the same.
That's bs.
Sorry.

Thanks for sharing this update though!

PS That factory which burned down was also involved in the placement of the 350kW chargers (heard from a ABB representative).

Last edited:
OP
OP
SHN

SHN

First Name
Svein Halvard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Engine/drive unit.

the motor for the 4s is different. They have a similar casing, maybe that is what they meant.
You may be right that is what he ment. Maybe it was lost in translation.

My understanding before the visit was that it was different engine/DU.

However, it may also make sense if it was the same and it was standardize to keep the production cost down. It would also give Porsche the ability to sell OTA upgrades. We will see when the first 4S is reversed engineered ;)

dryii

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
Country flag
Engine/Drive unit
The engine/drive unit for TTS, TT and 4S is the same. It’s SW tuned. In theory you could upgrade 4S to have same spec as the TTS and TT.
Porsche Taycan Taycan information direct from Zuffenhausen plant tour 1581267441357

Screenshot taken from .

MissionC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have to imagine the production line is nowhere near optimized. I’d suspect that Porsche’s most optimized production line is for the Macan. Even there, it takes about 8 hours to build a Macan body (They run 10 parallel production lines in the body shop in Liepzig) that’s ready to start having the painting process begin - at this stage, I’d have to imagine the Taycan line is at least half as efficient as they learn and scale up. I wish they’d let us with orders understand what the delay issues are.

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Wireless charging
Wireless charging of the car was delayed because of a factory that burned down. However, it is possible to retrofit wireless charging. Then you have to mount some extra HW.
Wireless charging of the car? Sorry - what is that? I didn’t know that was a thing.

Rollep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, BMW i3
Country flag
I joined a tour at Zuffenhausen last Thursday together with 20 Norwegians. We were the third group of Norwegian last week. The factory tours will be available from March.

Thought I would give you some updates on subjects that we have discussed on this forum, that we picked up at the factory.
Any news on the 22 kW AC charger that should have been available from the start?

OP
OP
SHN

SHN

First Name
Svein Halvard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have to imagine the production line is nowhere near optimized. I’d suspect that Porsche’s most optimized production line is for the Macan. Even there, it takes about 8 hours to build a Macan body (They run 10 parallel production lines in the body shop in Liepzig) that’s ready to start having the painting process begin - at this stage, I’d have to imagine the Taycan line is at least half as efficient as they learn and scale up. I wish they’d let us with orders understand what the delay issues are.
The production line of Taycan is flexible and not traditional. e.g the robots that carried parts where moving around on the floor, where we were walking. We had to watch out and move out of the way. I have to admit that we delayed the robots by some seconds, when we were not moving quickly enough. Sorry for that delay ;)

OP
OP
SHN

SHN

First Name
Svein Halvard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Wireless charging of the car? Sorry - what is that? I didn’t know that was a thing.
Thea Tacan was supposed to come with wireless charging for the cars battery as for wireless charging for Cellurar Phones. Same principle.
There are then a pad underneath the car that charge the car by induction.

OP
OP
SHN

SHN

First Name
Svein Halvard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
The production line of Taycan is flexible and not traditional. e.g the robots that carried parts where moving around on the floor, where we were walking. We had to watch out and move out of the way. I have to admit that we delayed the robots by some seconds, when we were not moving quickly enough. Sorry for that delay ;)
It's called FTS Flexi Line, which is said to be 40% cheaper than a conventional skillet system.

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/com...ribution-premium-platform-electric-16268.html

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
I am not sure why people are excited about wireless charging. Yes it is "neat," but think about even at 70% efficiency (which I do not believe is possible) charging 90KWHr will mean you are throwing away 27 KWHr. That is a bit out of control imho.

Rollep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, BMW i3
Country flag
I am not sure why people are excited about wireless charging. Yes it is "neat," but think about even at 70% efficiency (which I do not believe is possible) charging 90KWHr will mean you are throwing away 27 KWHr. That is a bit out of control imho.
I will never go for wireless charging, complete waste of energy and probably increased battery degradation due to heat.

OP
OP
SHN

SHN

First Name
Svein Halvard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
At an EV convention in Oslo, Norway, last year, I think. It was said that Wireless Charging was better than with cable, because the resistance in the cable. Charge operator Fortum is working with Taxies in Oslo with wireless charging. I guess we will find out if the theory is true.
Sponsored